Viofo A119 Pre Production Sample Blog ( I'm calling it a blog )

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
http://www.viofo.com/

To be fair , I don't think these pre-production samples should be Product Reviewed !
That would be extremely unfair , Reporting or judging a product before its really ready or fine tuned ..
So I will call this a Blog rather than a review .

Some things can certainly be commented on , but to pass judgement , perhaps we should just call it " Things that could use improvement " .

I don't think I am even half way through testing this cam . But I do believe I can start sharing some Video and thoughts on what I like and perhaps don't like . I have used the cam for a few days now , and I am not sure I am ready to start passing judgment , but I believe I can start sharing some video .

What I like
1) Form factor is excellent
2) Micro SD card is much easier to insert / remove than in the 118
3) Turns on at about the same speed as the 118 , but turns off much faster
4) sharp video @ 2560 x 1440
5) Menu is very easy to navigate

What I don't like
1) Yeah _ It's very blue ( really looking forward to a firmware update ) Video
2) I don't care for the floating lens ( side to side ) Perhaps making it click adjustable , or some way to lock it into position . ( perhaps the next model )
3) ?????? I have run out of things I don't like

First video = Viofo VS Ausdom @ 2560 x 1440

Mini 0826 VS Viofo A119

Yes , I believe they call it true blue ...
Anyhow , time to post some night time video ..
A119 was set to 2560 x 1440 x 30FPS

A119 VS A118

A119 VS Mini 0826

A119 VS Ausdom A261

A119 VS A118c @ 1920 x 1080 ( 60FPS for the 119 )

Hmmm , why does the Video for the A119 look better @ 1080 (?)
I would have thought 1440 would have been better ...
The only variable I can think of is, there is a LED setting in the Menu ( on or off )
I turned this off when I started to play with the resolution ..
I have turned it back on , and hopefully I will have some time to play with night time settings .
See what does what (?)
Update
After directly comparing 1080 and 1440 , there is little to no difference ...

Thats enough video editing for one day :
Left to right / top to bottom : A119 - A118 - A261 - 0826

14 April 2016
For the moment , I believe we are stuck waiting for newer firmware ..

Last edited:
1st Firmware Release ...

Reactions: Mtz
Wow, great sync on the videos. The truck was weird on one video and not on the other. The color seems off still (imo).

Look at the barrier on the left , much more blue with the older firmware , and yes the video is less vibrant with the new firmware ..

Reactions: Mtz

Another comparison video

Old FW video shows better detail on the grass than the new FW. The color look so faded with new FW.

Hello. You should consider that the new FW only allows you to record at 1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps. At least, my A119 does it like this.

Last edited:
Old FW video shows better detail on the grass than the new FW. The color look so faded with new FW.

Hmmmm , 30FPS VS 60FPS
1440 @ 30FPS VS 1080 @ 60FPS

Those extra FPS really help show detail at speed ..
+ I havent tried 1080 @ 60FPS with the new Firmware ..

+ I havent tried 1080 @ 60FPS with the new Firmware ..

I will be interested to see if you have the same result....mine locked up.

To unlock: remove the microSD card and the buttons become operational again so you can turn the A119 off. Without the microSD card inserted, power again the A119 and go to Menu - Settings - Resolution and choose 1920x1080@30fps. Turn it of again, insert the microSD card and, after power it on, it will automatically start recording.
This is how it worked, at least, for me.

Thanks Joe, I re-installed the FW but I see your method is easier.

To all pre-production sample testers:

I'm thinking we should start a thread where we can all post bugs ,fixes and FW suggestions, so Viofo can see it all in one place and avoid duplication?

Thoughts?

That one is 18 pages long so far and has a lot of video samples. I agree those samples are useful but posting those in each of our individual threads is good.

What I'm talking about is a thread that is only for bugs, fixes and firmware suggestions for Viofo. But if no one else thinks it is a good idea, no problem.....carry on.

That one is 18 pages long so far and has a lot of video samples. I agree those samples are useful but posting those in each of our individual threads is good.

What I'm talking about is a thread that is only for bugs, fixes and firmware suggestions for Viofo. But if no one else thinks it is a good idea, no problem.....carry on.
Sounds good to me. Just call it something like "A119 pre-production/beta firmware discussion" so it's obvious that it's not final stuff once the unit goes into production.

I will be interested to see if you have the same result....mine locked up.
I thought this is caused by we added the hot pixel fixing in this firmware.
In next version, we will set the 1440P as default resolution.

Both mounts are here :
I ordered another A118 mount , got here today .. Now I can post pictures comparing the two mounts ...

IMGP1287_zpszkxy3umo.jpg

IMGP1290_zpslm0nxfn0.jpg

IMGP1295_zps6ubwgkqr.jpg

The A119 mount doesn't fit the A118/C, just so everyone knows, it slides in, but really loosely. A118/C mount requires some modification to fit the A119 (not sure what modifications) according to some user(s).

Back