Viofo A119 Pre-production test samples

6star

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Late to the party due to shipment issues, but still want to make my contribution to the beta cycle of Viofo's A119 development. Thanks to @viofo for supplying this pre-production unit.

Product link: http://www.viofo.com/home/30-a119-1080p-60fps-dash-cam.html

Viofo has been very quick and responsive and released two updates of the firmware since fellow DCTers provided feedback here in this forum. For reference and comparison, here is the video clip taken with original FW at 1080P 60fps:

YouTube has degraded the quality of the video. The original clip is sharper. The 1080P 60fps resolution does a good job at 110 km/h highway speed in good daylight. The lens of a wide FOV covers all the lanes around the car, but it has a disadvantage to see details like license plate. The colour is pretty natural and has little blue tint in good daylight.

Added raw video here: https://mega.nz/#!HlJnGRgQ

Last edited:
In cloudy light conditions:

Daytime one is not to bad Daytime 2 looks out of focus and both night time clips are not that crash hot a little disappointed at this stage.

I'm hoping it's Youtube causing the trouble, if not I won't be rushing out to buy just yet with this firmware.

The last clip looks ok however, I still think it looks slightly out of focus.

I'm tossing up between the Street Guardian/mini 0807 /Viofo A119/Shadow 1s.

I have a 0803 and quite happy with it so I may go with the 0807

Yeah, I realize that however, I don't understand why any one would leave video clips up that are not close to the raw footage it doesn't do the camera any justice.

Yeah, I realize that however, I don't understand why any one would leave video clips up that are not close to the raw footage it doesn't do the camera any justice.

why would they take them down, they're still relevant to where the product was at that point in time

The only way to have a true representation of the video quality is to download the raw files from the camera, or if someone posts those files for the public, like this: http://gibson99.com/download/RawVideo/

Not everyone knows how to post those to their own site (like I did above) or to places like mega, Google drive, Dropbox, etc... it's much easier to just upload to YouTube.

And if you go to my link above, you'll notice I don't have the old, super-blue footage up there anymore. I should probably post some recent footage now that I think about it. Just remembered that tonight i was driving home in the rain but the sun was shining right in my face as it was starting to set, and there was tons of glare... curious how the camera handled that.

I don't agree, if the clips you upload are not close to the raw footage quality, what's the point?

I don't agree, if the clips you upload are not close to the raw footage quality, what's the point?
The clips in my link above are the actual unmodified files direct from the camera's memory card. They ARE the raw footage! The only thing I changed is the filename, to help you decide which file you want to download. Because they're so big, you may not want to download all of them.

THESE are what you should be looking for when deciding what camera to buy, not just YouTube clips. YouTube clips are crap compared to the real deal.

The clips in my link above are the actual unmodified files direct from the camera's memory card. They ARE the raw footage! The only thing I changed is the filename, to help you decide which file you want to download. Because they're so big, you may not want to download all of them.

THESE are what you should be looking for when deciding what camera to buy, not just YouTube clips. YouTube clips are crap compared to the real deal.

i'm looking at 5 dashcam A119/0807/street guardian/Shadow1s /Nanaq 0903 what's would be your preference if I may ask

Unfortunately the only one I have personal experience with is the a119. I know street guardian is a bit behind the a119 in terms of image processor and cpu specs as well as performance, but then the SG is over a year old now. Heard lots of issues about long term reliability with the mini series but I've never even seen one in person much less used one. Never even heard of the nanq so I'd just have to Google it. Shadow if have to Google too but at least it's a brand I've heard of before.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending the a119 as it does great both day and night, has a nice discrete form factor similar to the sg, and the company has a good history of actually listening to users and implementing their suggestions and bug fixes in a timely manner.

Unfortunately the only one I have personal experience with is the a119. I know street guardian is a bit behind the a119 in terms of image processor and cpu specs as well as performance, but then the SG is over a year old now. Heard lots of issues about long term reliability with the mini series but I've never even seen one in person much less used one. Never even heard of the nanq so I'd just have to Google it. Shadow if have to Google too but at least it's a brand I've heard of before.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending the a119 as it does great both day and night, has a nice discrete form factor similar to the sg, and the company has a good history of actually listening to users and implementing their suggestions and bug fixes in a timely manner.

Thanks for the info, I have the mini 0803 and it's playing up, however, it's still recording perfectly for now.

I just love the shape of the A119, however, I may go with 0807 I'll wait and see until they release A119 hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Just so I'm crystal clear, if you are completely satisfied with a video clip quality on here (YouTube) would it be fair to say you'll be absolutely stoked with the raw footage.

I can't say I recall any raw video that looked lower quality than what you see on YouTube, it should always be better than what you see on any streaming site that has re-encoded the video

Where are you located, I'm in far north Queensland and I haven't had a problem I don't take it out (0803)

Sorry to sidetrack this thread but just answering questions.

It was left on the windscreen for 2 days during temperatures of high 30's C in February, I am also aware of a Mini 0806 doing the same thing. The Mini specs only rate them to 40C.

0826a.jpg 123.jpg

Daytime one is not to bad Daytime 2 looks out of focus and both night time clips are not that crash hot a little disappointed at this stage.

I'm hoping it's Youtube causing the trouble, if not I won't be rushing out to buy just yet with this firmware.

The last clip looks ok however, I still think it looks slightly out of focus.

I'm tossing up between the Street Guardian/mini 0807 /Viofo A119/Shadow 1s.

I have a 0803 and quite happy with it so I may go with the 0807

I did not check the forum for a while, so the late reply. I have added links to my raw video files to my posts. They definitely look better than on YouTube.
Regarding your question of out of focus, I believe the images were blurred by reflection from the windshield. As an example, take a look at this snapshot:
reflection issue 4.JPG
Look at the bush right behind the fence. Except the upper central part, the bush is blurred by the reflection. If you look closely, you can see a parabolic boundary that separates a clear area from the rest. Most of the wall is also covered by the reflection. I find reflections in most light conditions, which degrade image quality a lot as you see in the above example. This issue actually bothers me more than any other issue of the A119. It probably has a lot to do with the extra wide FOV of the camera. I am wondering how other beta testers feel about the reflection issue. Viofo mentioned that they were looking at a different FOV lens and CPL. I hope either development will reduce the reflection issue substantially.

Back