Viofo A119 Pro Unboxing and Menu Walk Through

c4rc4m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo WR1, A119 Pro. VicoVation Opia 2, Mobius 1
Video showing the unboxing of the new A119 Pro, the box contents and a walk through of the on screen camera settings menu.

In full disclosure, the camera was supplied by Viofo as a review sample, although I always strive to keep my opinions impartial.

Sample Video files from the Dash Cam in use, to follow.

Thanks for sharing this.

I have been lurking here for a while trying to decide what dashcam to get. I was all set to get a Nextbase as some UK insurance companies specify brands you can use to get a discount or give a bigger discount for using a Nextbase dashcam. However, after discovering this site and doing a crap load of reading and watching a million videos I am still on the fence. As trivial as it seems, I particularly don't like that the NB 512GW, enforces you to have their logo on the footage, unless you request a firmware from them or use a custom one. Nice to see that Viofo has added the SIMPLE option to turn it on or off.

The day time still you posted a week ago from the A119 Pro, looked pretty good, so I am looking forward to some sample videos.

Thanks for sharing this.

I have been lurking here for a while trying to decide what dashcam to get. I was all set to get a Nextbase as some UK insurance companies specify brands you can use to get a discount or give a bigger discount for using a Nextbase dashcam. However, after discovering this site and doing a crap load of reading and watching a million videos I am still on the fence. As trivial as it seems, I particularly don't like that the NB 512GW, enforces you to have their logo on the footage, unless you request a firmware from them or use a custom one. Nice to see that Viofo has added the SIMPLE option to turn it on or off.

The day time still you posted a week ago from the A119 Pro, looked pretty good, so I am looking forward to some sample videos.
I have looked at those companies who will give you a discount for having a dashcam. Some have a list of approved models. Others are more flexible. In general though I usually find I can get a better insurance deal elsewhere.

Don't sit on the fence too long. The important thing is to have any camera rather than the best one. Whilst we spend countless hours & days here on DCT comparing one dashcam against another, most of them will do a decent job at the end of the day.

Don't sit on the fence too long. The important thing is to have any camera rather than the best one. Whilst we spend countless hours & days here on DCT comparing one dashcam against another, most of them will do a decent job at the end of the day.

I've got to agree with Tony here. I've been using an Aukey DR01 for the past 14 months which I paid $49 for with a coupon code. Relatively cheap for a dash cam but it has been reliable as heck. It also saved me 3 months ago on Christmas day when a fool checking out of the hotel we were staying at backed up, pretty hard mind you, into my 1 month old at the time 2018 Escalade. Left me with a gashed up front bumper and a hole where his trailer hitch poked through it. Of course, no note or anything like that, why would someone simply do the 'right thing'... Thankfully even though it was 6am and pitch black as no lights were working in the parking lot, the cam still caught his plate because of his license plate bulb(s) and my insurance tracked him down. So long story short, even a cheap cam bought quickly just to have 'something' until you can make your mind up is better than having nothing.

I'm really impressed with everything I've been reading about the A119 v2 thus far on here so I'm considering the new A119 Pro as more and more reviews from you all begin rolling in. Thanks so much for sharing c4rc4m, can't wait to read and see more of your thoughts, as well as others, as time passes concerning the A119 Pro.

EDIT: Also, am I reading your 'pop up' in the video correctly that a new firmware update has added support for 60fps at the 2560 x 1440 resolution setting?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I realise the importance of a dashcam these days but I am not in any great rush. I am not driving much these days and also I am probably going to change cars in a few months time.

I am still tempted to get the pro though, because it will give me something to play with and if something better comes along, I can always use it as a rear facing cam.

Does it use the same CPL filter as the normal A119?

@ Pointy / Johnny, ATM I'd recommend the A119S over the Pro. The A119 Pro is still developing so it might be some time before it's at it's best and a meaningful comparison of the two can be made.

Yes the Pro version does support 60fps at the highest resolution.

Thanks for the replies jokiin & c4rc4m.

I suppose the question is, will the hardware change between the presale and final version or just firmware?

I suppose the question is, will the hardware change between the presale and final version or just firmware?
Very good question, it's one that's popped up in my mind as well. Will hardware changes be driving the future improvements or is it firmware; if the latter, one can always go ahead with the Pro.

The hardware will not change, only the firmware.
The only differences between the Pro vs. A119 and A119S are just the CMOS, lens and the added suction cup. I think the added suction cup is making it Pro because the driver have its personal car and also working car so using the suction cup he can transfer the camera from one car to another. The other video specifications are not changed but maybe it can have a better image quality because of 5MP CMOS and better lens compared to A119.
Are you sure that 60FPS is available for 1440p?

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks Mtz :)

I think the added suction cup is making it Pro because the driver have its personal car and also working car so using the suction cup he can transfer the camera from one car to another.
Well, the downside of the suction cup (as I understood it) is that you cannot use it if you're using the GPS mount :unsure::rolleyes:

Yes, you are right the GPS data will be missing with suction cup but you can decide where to mount the GPS mount.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks c4rc4m, that's not listed anywhere I can find on their website yet so maybe it is still in testing and they don't want to commit to it yet?

The hardware will not change, only the firmware.
The only differences between the Pro vs. A119 and A119S are just the CMOS, lens and the added suction cup.enjoy,
Mtz
I was thinking the same thing because if the hardware changes, wouldn't the firmware and such also need considerable modifications so why build a presale model and go through all this testing and fine tuning just to have to do it again for the 'final' product. Seems counter productive.

@ Pointy / Johnny, ATM I'd recommend the A119S over the Pro. The A119 Pro is still developing so it might be some time before it's at it's best and a meaningful comparison of the two can be made.

According to your video above, there is no 1440p @ 60fps setting. Only 1080p @ 60fps.

For 1440 there is no 60FPS in the firmware.

Perhaps @c4rc4m has a special firmware version?

Perhaps @c4rc4m has a special firmware version?
That's what I was wondering, and honestly, hoping! I could be wrong but it is not easy to find a 2k dashcam that records at 60fps, right everyone?

If in the end it does in fact record 60fps at the highest resolution the only other thing I'd hope may work with this cam is a 256gb memory card. i know, I know, probably doubtful but it'd be welcome.

Hmmm... Suction cup mount. Interesting...

Back