I just got this camera and still learning about the features.
Stumbled into this topic and if I understand this I can go into the op and dl a file that will create better video quality on this dashcam?
Good question and great timing since I'm about to release more downloads.
My modified firmware does change the image quality, suggest using the newest official v4.0 to determine if the quality is acceptable. After learning all the features and understanding the update procedure perfectly should you attempt to use any of my MODs.

BCHobbyist did you find that V3.6 Beta HDR ? because I don't see any mention of it as 3.4 is the only one available

Created A119 Beta HDR version from old Nov 2017 v3.40 Beta (lost my v3.50B in v3.60 HDR was removed) Busy time of year for these side Projects.
This old base code doesn't have recent options such as Parking Mode, few will ever use this thus not including it in Archive only direct link. Use at your own risk it is know to have bugs.
Can only enable either HDR or WDR not both, it will disable one if both are on. High Dynamic Range offers interesting scene changes but I don't use either since both increase motion blurring.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MOD-27HDR - - - December 22, 2018
FWBA119_MOD-27HDR_27Mbs+Default-IQ+DCTeam.bin
- increased Bit Rate from 24 to 26.6Mbps(27).
- uses Default Image Quality (sharpness,edge,brightness,contrast,saturation)
- replaced Microphone-Off / Mute icon to improve visibility.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Download HDR > https://drive.google.com/open?id=170RWmm3Z82N-MI9hb9ymB1uD3dTbVkfZ

Last edited:
Created new A119 - Stable versions 27L , See post #1 of thread for details and ChangeLog.
The only change in this Stable version is Bitrate increased to 27Mbs, all Image Quality is the original VIOFO default values.

FWBA119_MOD-27L_27Mbs+Default-IQ+DCTeam.bin
Download 27L > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HHtGU_Qu5HyYejd7wRsvX-VsOXORCjua

A119 Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a119-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com
---
DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
I just got this camera and still learning about the features.
Stumbled into this topic and if I understand this I can go into the op and dl a file that will create better video quality on this dashcam?

Yes the MODS can improve the IQ (image Quality) But as already said get use to the cam first. I suggest when you are ready try MOD 7Rg best IQ or for a cooler cam I would recommend 5Rg good IQ. You can download them at the address that BCHobbyist has put in the 1st posting here. If you have any question on the way to go about it I humbly suggest SUBSCRIBING to BCHobbyist YouTube channel were you will find loads of videos info relating to the A119 range most of the info is interchangeable be A119v1&v2,A119pro and A119S

I did initial testing and HDR is nothing fancy, image is more noisy, sure you can read plates but under certain conditions and only 1 in 10 situations; 7Rg in 2K and WDR ON looks best at night

I did initial testing and HDR is nothing fancy, image is more noisy, sure you can read plates but under certain conditions and only 1 in 10 situations; 7Rg in 2K and WDR ON looks best at night
HDR is great for static scenes such as parking lots but no use while driving. It's always fun to load the old firmware and 'see' the different image quality. The A119 offers the highest 1440P resolution and with highest modified Bit Rate should easily produce clearer image quality than A119S or A129 Duo. The big difference between A119 and Pro is the Lens with Pro F1.8 aperture improving low light quality.
It was an interesting journey creating A119 MOD-7Rg, you'll be very surprised at the next version and wonder why it wasn't available 4 months earlier.
thanks for using DCTeam Modified Firmware.

It was an interesting journey creating A119 MOD-7Rg, you'll be very surprised at the next version and wonder why it wasn't available 4 months earlier.
thanks for using DCTeam Modified Firmware.

I am not sure if I understand but nonetheless thank you for your work

Only had one day of partial Sun in 2 months. This short 3:33min video shows better quality than expected at night, had to render the 1440P down to 1080P but nothing was cropped. Creating A129 vs A119 comparison next, guess who wins. . .

A119 Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a119-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

Last edited:
I'm really interested who winn A119 or A129.I refer to image quality.I want to buy A129, but I'm afraid I will not take a step back from A119 (with google translate)

I'm really interested who winn A119 or A129.I refer to image quality.I want to buy A129, but I'm afraid I will not take a step back from A119 (with google translate)
Almost finished the comparison, it went over 16 minutes so been slashing it down to under 8mins. Weather has caused delays in collecting useful footage.

@BCHobbyist
With regard to MOD-5Rg and MOD-6Pj: "- changed Sharpness-C from 184 to 130 for Strong/High level"...

Does that mean an increase in sharpness or a decrease in sharpness? I"m still using Version 3 something and the sharpness in that version is terrible. For example, telephone poles against the sky display with a thick white strip on the outside and a thick white strip on the inside.

@BCHobbyist
With regard to MOD-5Rg and MOD-6Pj: "- changed Sharpness-C from 184 to 130 for Strong/High level"...

Does that mean an increase in sharpness or a decrease in sharpness? I"m still using Version 3 something and the sharpness in that version is terrible. For example, telephone poles against the sky display with a thick white strip on the outside and a thick white strip on the inside.
All A119 FW 3.xx are over-sharpned, VIOFO in the past has used massively over-sharpened firmware, to correct this many adjustments are needed some look like huge jumps when in fact are very minor values. In every VIOFO Dashcam I've reduced Sharpness values with great results, not perfect but an improvement over horrible 'halo' effect noticed on thin lines and object outlines. I suggest you try MOD-5Rg for a week and compare the quality yourself, I notice 7Rg is slightly better but creates larger file sizes.

7Rg is the best but A119 runs hotter. 5Rg comes in has close 2nd and also runs cooler. I have one of my A119 running 7Rg and the other 5Rg. Certainly way better that the current or previous Viofo firmware but the choice of which firmware to use remains with you.

Just purchased my A119 about a week ago and installed MOD 27L.

I'm not super happy with the video quality, does this look about right to you guys?
A119 @ 1440p & CPL - 27L Firmware / Audio stripped by VLC and re-encoded without an video changes.

Black area on left is b/c it's too close to the rearview mirror.

I feel like only the center is clear, purchased from Amazon seller OCD Tronic

Should I send it in for a replacement?

Video

You have installed an old version of the firmware which was buggy. MOD 27L was only made because someone requested HDR which the newer versions do not have. I recommend you give either 5Rg or better still 7Rg MODs a go. 5Rg has a lower bitrate than 7Rg so 5Rg runs a bit cooler than 7Rg. I think you will find quite a difference in either one.

When I first got my A119 I was disappointed by the quality by I found this site and BCHobbyist and helped to develop better firmware. I am now very pleased with my 2 A119 v2.

Last edited:
You have installed an old version of the firmware which was buggy. MOD 27L was only made because someone requested HDR which the newer versions do not have. I recommend you give either 5Rg or better still 7Rg MODs a go. 5Rg has a lower bitrate than 7Rg so 5Rg runs a bit cooler than 7Rg. I think you will find quite a difference in either one.

When I first got my A119 I was disappointed by the quality by I found this site and BCHobbyist and helped to develop better firmware. I am now very pleased with my 2 A119 v2.

Ok, I"ll give it a try, my main concern was if the lens looks aligned as I believe I see bluring around the edges.

There will be slight blurring at the edges along with a bit of distortion because it's a 160degree wide angle lens. If your not sure, it that case by all means return it.

Just purchased my A119 about a week ago and installed MOD 27L.

I'm not super happy with the video quality, does this look about right to you guys?
A119 @ 1440p & CPL - 27L Firmware / Audio stripped by VLC and re-encoded without an video changes.

Black area on left is b/c it's too close to the rearview mirror.
I feel like only the center is clear, purchased from Amazon seller OCD Tronic
Should I send it in for a replacement?

Video
Thanks for sharing the 1440P clip, for accurate image quality assessment RAW files shared to dropbox/cloud are best.
the YouTube sample focus looks soft over entire scene.

MOD-27L - - - December 22, 2018
FWBA119_MOD-27L_27Mbs+Default-IQ+DCTeam.bin
- increased Bit Rate from 24 to 26.6Mbps(27) for Parking Mode support.
- uses Default Image Quality (sharpness,edge,brightness,contrast,saturation)
- replaced Microphone-Off / Mute icon to improve visibility.

Have a good look at front Lens for residue from protective lens protector film, that stuff leaves all kinds of plastic junk on lens.
suggest installing any firmware then detach from windshield and point out lowered side window using short USB cable connected to Power Bank or socket adapter. This helps eliminate windshield as issue. Next install 7Rg as @Tractor said for better sharpness. Its very rare for A119 to have focus issue. Post link to short 20-30sec RAW clip in 1440P.

Back