Viofo A119 V2 HK2 or HK3?

kronong

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello,

As mentioned above - will the HK3 work with A119 V2 or should I buy its older bro, HK2? I baught my dashcam ~3 years ago and as I remember, there were only HK2 kits then. Now most of adapters are HK3 and I'm wondering if I can buy the HK3 for my A119 V2 and the ACC would work properly.

The A119V2 does not recognize the 3rd wire (yellow acc wire) so just get the 2 wire kit.

I've read many threads and tbh I'm worried about HK2 cut off voltage, 11.6V sounds very low. Sometimes I leave the car for 4-5 days.
Is it possible to wire Battery+ and ACC together to the same fuse and the cut off switch gonna work on HK3 with A119 V2?
I also can't find any 2 wire hardwire with 12.2/12.4 cut off, so if mentioned idea with wiring Bat+ and ACC won't work, probably gonna buy HK2 and connect to the circuit which is powered only when the car is on, deactivating parking mode.
A119 V2 also doesn't have Parking recording timer which would allow me to set it for 1/2h just when leaving car in the city centre for a while.

Is it possible to wire Battery+ and ACC together to the same fuse and the cut off switch gonna work on HK3 with A119 V2?
Yes, and you should connect both, otherwise it may not turn back on after a low voltage cut off.

Be sure to test the cutoff before trusting it. I recall correctly, @VIOFO-Support stating that the cutoff may not work when wired this way.
Interesting, there are other situations where I might expect problems, but not that one.
I know a few people have been having issues with the low voltage cutoff though...

Interesting, there are other situations where I might expect problems, but not that one.
I know a few people have been having issues with the low voltage cutoff though...
I believe Viofo said wiring it this way bypasses the cutoff, but not sure why. Maybe Viofo can confirm one way or the other. When I have some time, I'll test it.

I believe Viofo said wiring it this way bypasses the cutoff, but not sure why. Maybe Viofo can confirm one way or the other. When I have some time, I'll test it.

Now I'm a bit puzzled about what the requirement is, why do we want to connect ACC to BAT?

Connecting BAT to BAT and ACC to ACC, as in the HK3 instructions, should make the HK3 work correctly with the A119 V2. The ACC may not trigger parking mode, but everything will work correctly.

Connecting ACC to +volts should override the low voltage cutoff and turn the camera on, otherwise in some vehicles you are very likely to lose the start of your journeys since alternators do not power up straight away when the key is turned to position I, or even once the engine is started, they normally take a few seconds with the voltage still low, but may take a lot longer with hybrid vehicles, hence my original comment.

If you connect ACC to BAT, where BAT is a permanently powered fuse, then yes, CaptureYourAction is correct and the low voltage cutoff can be expected not to operate, for the above reason.

I was expecting that when ACC is connected to BAT, they would be connected to a fuse not permanently powered, as in kronong's comment:
so if mentioned idea with wiring Bat+ and ACC won't work, probably gonna buy HK2 and connect to the circuit which is powered only when the car is on, deactivating parking mode.
, but he was saying that would be for the HK2.

So my recommendation is to get the HK3, set the cutoff voltage you require, and connect it up as in the instructions, with BAT to permanent power and ACC to switched power, then everything should work fine.

You can also use it with both connected to switched power, although then you will not be making use of the low voltage cutoff.

So my recommendation is to get the HK3, set the cutoff voltage you require, and connect it up as in the instructions, with BAT to permanent power and ACC to switched power, then everything should work fine.
Sounds like it should work, but I can't say as I've heard anyone try this with a A119V2. I think I have a V2 here somewhere, so I'll test when I have some time.

Oh, I really enjoy such living discussions. Haven't ordered HK2/HK3 yet and I'm waiting for the final result of the test. All I need is a working cut off at 12.2/12.4V level, cuz 11.6 on HK2 is too low.
In the meantime, I've found info in product description (HK3) on the one of the Polish sales page which says:

"Adapter works with A129 cams (soft v1.5). It also works with A119 V3. Models such as A119, A119S or A119 PRO are supported but without the ACC function (switching to parking mode automatically)."

Sounds promising.

Last edited:
Oh, I really enjoy such living discussions.
That is what forums are for, so much better than other forms of social media!

Haven't ordered HK2/HK3 yet and I'm waiting for the final result of the test.
If you connect it up as in the instructions then I am sure it will work, just don't expect parking mode to work on cameras that don't support it!

I believe Blackvue requires 12V, so the Viofo kits won’t work as they supply 5V.
Follow up question - do the Blackvue cams use a lot more battery since they use 12V rather than Viofo's 5V. Or would cams from both companies use similar amounts of battery?

Follow up question - do the Blackvue cams use a lot more battery since they use 12V rather than Viofo's 5V. Or would cams from both companies use similar amounts of battery?
Voltage is not a measure of power consumption, just like water pressure doesn't control how much water comes out of a tap, it affects the maximum, but the tap can still turn it down.

I think in general the Viofo cameras are a little more efficient for the same performance compared to Blackvue, and most others, but there is not a lot of difference, might get an extra hour out of a 20 hour parking battery.

Thanks for your reply Nigel! - Since you brought up parking batteries, are there any great ones that you'd recommend?

Thanks for your reply Nigel! - Since you brought up parking batteries, are there any great ones that you'd recommend?
Depends on your requirements.

Personally I am happy with using the car battery and setting the parking timer to 3 hours.
I would set it longer if geofencing was available on the Viofo cameras, but that is still in beta release on the A139.

Of the dashcam parking batteries, I don't currently have a preference, most of them seem too expensive for what they are, and I'm not convinced about long term reliability on some of them.

I do have a standard USB powerbank that I use if I need long term recording, but I don't often need it.

Oh, I really enjoy such living discussions. Haven't ordered HK2/HK3 yet and I'm waiting for the final result of the test. All I need is a working cut off at 12.2/12.4V level, cuz 11.6 on HK2 is too low.
In the meantime, I've found info in product description (HK3) on the one of the Polish sales page which says:

"Adapter works with A129 cams (soft v1.5). It also works with A119 V3. Models such as A119, A119S or A119 PRO are supported but without the ACC function (switching to parking mode automatically)."

Sounds promising.
So I don't have a A119V2, but do have an older A119V1. I believe the only thing that changed between the V1 and V2 was the GPS mount style, so testing the V1 with the HK3 kit should be the same as the V2. On the A119V1, if you connect the red and yellow wires together, then this does indeed bypass the low voltage cutoff. However, if you connect the kit as intended, red to constant 12V source and the yellow to an accessory 12V source, then the kit appear to work fine. So, after a 90-100 second delay (which is normal), the kit will kill power to the camera once the voltage has dipped below the cutoff set point. I also noticed that if you reconnect the yellow wire to power, the camera will turn on again, even when the voltage was still below the cutoff setting.

Back