Viofo A119 v3 “memory error”

Benzino

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys new here. Hopefully I’m not repeating the same topic. But I ordered my viofo a119 v3 From blackboxmycar here in the U.S but they’re located in Canada. I’ve ordered 4 different cameras with the same issue “memory card error” everyone at tech support keeps saying they’ve never heard of that error before but I keep getting it. I’ve also replaced the memory card, formatted the card and done firmware update but I can’t seem to get it to work. I hope it’s not user error but I’m getting ready to give up. If anyone can help that would be amazing. Thanks in advance

Are you sure the cards are real? I bought two off ebay that were fake, the ba$tards.
I got lucky and the last two off ebay were real, as verified by https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows .
I think you're safe at a big box store: I got another two from Best Buy and Office Depot.
Format the card in the unit.

Are you sure the cards are real? I bought two off ebay that were fake, the ba$tards.
I got lucky and the last two off ebay were real, as verified by https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows .
I think you're safe at a big box store: I got another two from Best Buy and Office Depot.
Format the card in the unit.

The cards came with the camera. I ordered a long side with the card. Brand new in its original package

You'd think they should be good, but couldn't hurt to check. May take a little while, but when doing it, let it run all the way through verifying.

Wow, a lot of search results for "memory card error".
What was the brand/model/size of the card?
That place in Canada should have some suggestions since they sold you the package.
Judging from the search results, it sure looks like it's got something to do with the card.

Wow, a lot of search results for "memory card error".
What was the brand/model/size of the card?
That place in Canada should have some suggestions since they sold you the package.
Judging from the search results, it sure looks like it's got something to do with the card.
The brand is San disk, 256gb card. I also just tried another San disk card I had on my go pro same 256gb and it still saying memory error...fml

@BlackboxMyCar is a member here- maybe they can assist now that I've tagged them. It's a good company so I'm sure they'll get it worked out for you ;)

Phil

Format the card with SDFormatter first. Perform the full overwrite, not the quick format. Then format again inside the camera after using SDFormatter.

What model SanDisk is it? (Ultra, Ultra A1, High Endurance...etc?.

You have to be more than just normally unlucky to get 4 cameras with the same error / fault in them, so i am inclined to think it is the memory card / cards ( not least if the cards are the same )
The advise are against the regular sandisk ultra, but the A1 stamped ones and endurance should be fine.
But even if advised against then the ultras should not make a camera puke like that, so it is pretty strange indeed.

And if you have done a firmware update then the memory card you used must be functioning at least to some degree as you have been able to put the firmware on the memory card and for the camera to read it to install the firmware.

I would test the memory cards on a PC, if you are on a MAC you for sure need to format the memory card every time it have been in contact with that kind of machine.
As CYA say you should probably run the card over with memory card formatter and with the full overwrite setting, just be advised with a this large memory card it will take a while to do.

That should be good then, but better test it, personally i have had cards go bad on me before i got to fill them up just 1 time ( 64 GB cards mind you ) and these was also high end brand cards, that back then cost more than i just paid for a 256 GB card.

Format the card with SDFormatter first. Perform the full overwrite, not the quick format. Then format again inside the camera after using SDFormatter.

What model SanDisk is it? (Ultra, Ultra A1, High Endurance...etc?.

This was it!!!!! I did this to the camera and great news, it worked!! I’m very excited. Thank you so so much cus I was ready to give up. So thank you thank you!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. As others have said, this does sound like a microSD card issue more than anything. Is there another card you can try with?

Can you also try a firmware reflash per the instructions here: https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/folders/19000140970
It was the SD card that needed to be formatted, through SD memory card formatted, then after installing the card into the camera do an additional format. It worked that way for me, thanks anyways

Last edited:
when we say format here, in 9 out of 10 cases we always mean formatting in the camera, on the computer it for instance format > 64GB cards as Exfat, but many cameras want FAT32 to work properly and a compyter only do that with <32GB memory cards.

I wonder if a PC format to Exfat is what is causing a few problems for the uninitiated.

Given that cards are getting larger, Windows should maybe default to Exfat but give an option.

Maybe the need to format memory card MSG cameras cough up, could have a press X button to format option.
In this case it seem the camera just say memory card error, which are not of much help, and really its not a error as such but rather just a change that is needed.

When i see error i assume something is broken, so maybe viofo should change this MSG to format card ( in camera ) instead.

Back