Viofo a119 V3 card reader corrupting files?

s3m

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3
About 3 months ago I purchased the Viofo A119 V3 Dashcam, along with their recommended SanDisk SD cards (128gb & 256gb). I also got a free SD card reader with Viofo branding on it. I already noticed from the beginning that sometimes it wouldn't get picked up by my computer, having to put it in a different USB port, but it worked. However, today I removed the SD card from the dashcam (and yes, I turned it off before removing the card). When I plugged it into the card reader and into the PC, I got all kinds of weird names in the file (see picture I provided). It seems to me the card is corrupted, and indeed for a month of driving it seems my files haven't even been stored. The last file on the card appears to be from april 8th, eventhough I have used the car and dashcam (yes it was on!) for a whole month almost every day.

How do I fix this? Is my SD card broken now? Is the card reader the problem and do I need a new one?

Thanks in advance for the answers guys.

- Sem

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-14 121827.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-14 121827.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 14
About 3 months ago I purchased the Viofo A119 V3 Dashcam, along with their recommended SanDisk SD cards (128gb & 256gb). I also got a free SD card reader with Viofo branding on it. I already noticed from the beginning that sometimes it wouldn't get picked up by my computer, having to put it in a different USB port, but it worked. However, today I removed the SD card from the dashcam (and yes, I turned it off before removing the card). When I plugged it into the card reader and into the PC, I got all kinds of weird names in the file (see picture I provided). It seems to me the card is corrupted, and indeed for a month of driving it seems my files haven't even been stored. The last file on the card appears to be from april 8th, eventhough I have used the car and dashcam (yes it was on!) for a whole month almost every day.

How do I fix this? Is my SD card broken now? Is the card reader the problem and do I need a new one?

- Sem
Hi welcome.

While anything is possible i doubt the sd card is ruined.
On the other hand it looks like the Master File Table (MFT) is corrupt.

Reformat the memory card using the program SDformatter.

Here's a how to use video

Download the program from here

Consider getting a new micro sd card reader. Because of the cards you have the transfer speeds will be improved.

IMG_3309.jpeg

Cheers.

Hi welcome.

While anything is possible i doubt the sd card is ruined.
On the other hand it looks like the Master File Table (MFT) is corrupt.

Reformat the memory card using the program SDformatter.

Here's a how to use video

Download the program from here

Consider getting a new micro sd card reader. Because of the cards you have the transfer speeds will be improved.

View attachment 65151

Cheers.
Hi Lateral,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will buy a new SD card reader and reformat the SD card. I'm quite disappointed in Viofo though, as they provided this card reader along with the SD cards they recommend. Seems a bit weird that that recommend cards that their own SD reader cannot handle/will corrupt. Are there any other people that have complained about this?

Anyway, will try the formatting and a new reader.

Thanks again,

Sem

I'm quite disappointed in Viofo though, as they provided this card reader along with the SD cards they recommend. Seems a bit weird that that recommend cards that their own SD reader cannot handle/will corrupt.

Inexpensive card readers are a dime a dozen and some dash cam manufacturers and retailers give them away as swag with their logo on them as a free promotional item. It was probably not manufactured by Viofo and it sounds like the one you got was defective. If you need a card reader you can easily purchase another one for a very modest cost. If you ask, maybe Viofo will send you another one, but you may want to purchase a different one.

The last time I saw that was from a fake SDCard.

Those filenames are synonymous when the actual card capacity is less than the header capacity. Once it tries to write into an area that technically doesn't exist it corrupts the files. Up to that point it may work OK.

Run that card through h2testw

Inexpensive card readers are a dime a dozen and some dash cam manufacturers and retailers give them away as swag with their logo on them as a free promotional item. It was probably not manufactured by Viofo and it sounds like the one you got was defective. If you need a card reader you can easily purchase another one for a very modest cost. If you ask, maybe Viofo will send you another one, but you may want to purchase a different one.
You're absolutely right. It's not that I am stunned that it happens or by the price of a new one, although it might've seemed like I was. I was just a bit taken aback by the fact it appears to be a frequent thing with the Viofo card reader. I stumbled across a post from 2022 that had the same thing with the viofo card reader. Shame really, as supplying a proper one, or even offering one would just bring the perception of the customer towards Viofo up a notch.

The last time I saw that was from a fake SDCard.

Those filenames are synonymous when the actual card capacity is less than the header capacity. Once it tries to write into an area that technically doesn't exist it corrupts the files. Up to that point it may work OK.

Run that card through h2testw
I am fairly certain it is not a fake SD card. I bought it from the VIOFO website directly. I also remember it used to work completely fine and actually was able to put the full capacity to use (64gb actually, I mentioned 128gb and 256, but it was 64 & 128gb).

I will run it through h2, format it according to a previous reply's video, and reformat it in my dashcam as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

You're absolutely right. It's not that I am stunned that it happens or by the price of a new one, although it might've seemed like I was. I was just a bit taken aback by the fact it appears to be a frequent thing with the Viofo card reader. I stumbled across a post from 2022 that had the same thing with the viofo card reader. Shame really, as supplying a proper one, or even offering one would just bring the perception of the customer towards Viofo up a notch.

I don't know, I have a whole box of promotional card readers in my desk drawer sent to me by various dash cam manufacturers and retailers over the years. I keep one or two in my vehicle in case I need one. They're just swag and I don't expect a lot from them or need Viofo to send me one. They all do work but I never use them. Instead I purchased a high quality card reader and keep it plugged into my computer. That would be my recommendation.

I don't know, I have a whole box of promotional card readers in my desk drawer sent to me by various dash cam manufacturers and retailers over the years. I keep one or two in my vehicle in case I need one. They're just swag and I don't expect a lot from them or need Viofo to send me one. They all do work but I never use them. Instead I purchased a high quality card reader and keep it plugged into my computer. That would be my recommendation.
Thank you, might do just that!

I have 2 USB-3 card readers for permanent work.
I don't use promotional card readers.

- Sem
Next time try to remove the DVR and connect it directly to the computer without pulling out the memory card from it and see what will be on it.
You only have one RO folder from the real one. Everything else on the memory card is either from the past or from the future.:unsure:
Have you put this memory card anywhere else?

This utility also formats memory cards well in FAT32 and after it you do not need to format the memory card in the DVR.

Attachments

• guiformat2.zip
    31.3 KB · Views: 2
I am fairly certain it is not a fake SD card. I bought it from the VIOFO website directly. I also remember it used to work completely fine and actually was able to put the full capacity to use (64gb actually, I mentioned 128gb and 256, but it was 64 & 128gb).

I will run it through h2, format it according to a previous reply's video, and reformat it in my dashcam as well. Thanks for the suggestion!
Viofo does not sell SanDisk cards that I‘m aware of. What website did you purchase from?

I do the same as K says above, I've always lifted the whole unit off the mount and used the unit as a card reader. Never had a single issue after 5 years +

Next time try to remove the DVR and connect it directly to the computer without pulling out the memory card from it and see what will be on it.
You only have one RO folder from the real one. Everything else on the memory card is either from the past or from the future.:unsure:
Have you put this memory card anywhere else?
It has only been in my camera and card reader.

I do the same as K says above, I've always lifted the whole unit off the mount and used the unit as a card reader. Never had a single issue after 5 years +
Fair, but removing the sd card is so much easier. I guess I cannot complain about faults if I’m not going the extra mile. I might do this from here on out. Thanks!

Viofo does not sell SanDisk cards that I‘m aware of. What website did you purchase from?
Viofo Benelux (Belgium Netherlands Luxembourg) does in fact sell them and even recommend them.

Attachments

• AF75B78A-189A-4AB7-A3B9-786C48613A42.png
    AF75B78A-189A-4AB7-A3B9-786C48613A42.png
    716.3 KB · Views: 9
Viofo Benelux (Belgium Netherlands Luxembourg) does in fact sell them and even recommend them.
They are just an authorized Viofo dealer, they are not tun by Viofo themselves. That said, I have no issues with the SanDisk High Endurance card with my A119V3 and it's a card I recommend for the A119V3. Not appropriate with the newer Viofo models though.

Back