Viofo A119 V3 occasionally Longitude blips to W 0.00000, is this a problem?

Privateer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
RoadHawk DC3 (x1), RoadHawk HD2 (x3)
I save all of my dashcam journeys (i.e. I change memory card before it fills). I review all of my journeys in Dashcam Viewer software (for Mac) although I don't check every minute I do skip through and check for audio, video, and GPS data and that all three are synchronised. I also look at the plotted route on the Dashcam Viewer map.

Occasionally, I will see horizontal lines indicating route deviations. On closer examination, the longitude coordinate changes for less than a second to W 0.00000 and back to its normal (i.e. actual) reading, so you get a horizontal line from the correct location to W 0.00000 and then back again. It's definitely not Dashcam Viewer as I have the coordinates data embedded in the video and you see the longitude coordinate change on the video.

I think (but I will need to confirm) that when it happens it may be at the start of a new file (as if the unit forgets its longitude position and defaults).

I've noticed this behaviour about three times since I bought the unit in December 2019.

It's not a problem as it only happens for a brief time and the only thing that it does is mess up the pretty route on the Dashcam Viewer map.

Has anybody else noticed this?
Is it an indication of any problems?

Thanks,

Out in the open it might be a issue with the firmware, but otherwise things can some times block GPS, but it don't sound like that is what you have.
Not sure if i experience the same with other brand cameras, i pretty much do not use any dedicated dashcam player, and don't have coordinates in video even if it was a potion.

I've seen the same happen on the A129 Pro with it also sometimes reporting the wrong speed for that second until the next update.

Maybe something to do with the GPS chipset used or a feature (bug) in the code across both firmwares.

As you say only happens for 1 second usually but did happen quite frequently.

Whereabouts in the world are you?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I've never noticed that

Quite some time back I had a similar issue with an early SG9665GC camera. The problem at that time had to do with the GPS unit sending incorrect coordinates to the camera.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies. As I said above, it's not a problem it's more of a glitch that occasionally happens. The GPS data (location and speed) are more for interest purposes than for accurately.

Whereabouts in the world are you?
I'm based in Oxfordshire, UK. There's no correlation between glitches and where they happen (as far as I can tell) so I don't think that there's any place that I drive that may have a GPS interference. I also regularly drive the same roads.

I'm driving the same vehicle that I have for the last few years so that shouldn't be the problem.

I think that @kamkar1 and @reverend have the answer as it may be a firmware error.

It'll be interesting to see if anybody else has noticed this problem with the A119 V3, or whether Viofo might like to comment.

Regards,

This was the thread where I was seeing similar - it happened both in driving mode and parking mode no matter where I went in the UK.

I'm in the UK too up near Ilkley Moor so a very similar longitude. I did 4 months on the business park near the Mini Factory near you and I don't miss that drive home on a Friday any more!

I did a load of OCR on the video stamps back then and was seeing the issue happen no matter where I was in the UK and even when the car was parked outside the house for 24 hours.

Back