VioFo a119 V3 start up issue

Hi Kremmen, what do you think is a good write speed for dashcams? i am having an issue with my dash cam and am still in the process of troubleshooting what is causing continuous beep after a while of working fine. i am looking at gps module issue but i was able to rule that out as even after directly connecting usb cable to the camera body, it still happened. i am left with the hardwire kit and the card. i used sandisk high endurance 128 GB similar to the highly recommended samsung pro endurance in terms of write speed. I opted for an authentic sandisk sd card because samsung pro endurance is not available from a reputable seller in my country yet. This is the card that i am using:

View attachment 49892

I did a test on two of my Sandisk High Endurance 128gb cards and the speeds were about 80MB/s Write on both cards so you'll be fine if its a genuine card

I've been watching posts in here across a few dashcam makes for ages and the more powerful (resolution) they get the faster the write speed required.

If I understand correctly the latest high end Nextbase models check the card write speed and if it's not U3 a warning is issued and I think the dashcam won't start.

At the moment the high endurance cards seem to be U1 so whilst they are manufactured for longevity and to take a hammering they do need some more speed for some dashcams.

The other thing I've learned here is that not all hardwire kits are the same and if you try and use another manufacturers kit that doesn't deliver the required voltage then again, you may run into problems. This also applies to USB power socket adapters that can throttle the voltage.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think I read somewhere that it's better to plug on the side of the camera rather than the GPS mount? That's what I'm doing at least.

As i understand it that should not be needed with the newer cameras, still it is worth trying as it is so easy to do.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think I read somewhere that it's better to plug on the side of the camera rather than the GPS mount? That's what I'm doing at least.

Does that still power the GPS unit? if so ill give it a go

Yes that should just so to say power the GPS antenna backwards from the camera, it was a must on older viofo products, but should not be needed for the V3, still simple to try so worth a go.

Yes that should just so to say power the GPS antenna backwards from the camera, it was a must on older viofo products, but should not be needed for the V3, still simple to try so worth a go.

hmmmm.

Im still getting power-up issues. Initially I thought it was due to the heat inside the car as its currently summer in Australia, but on a few separate occasions, the camera wouldnt power up in the morning on first start-up of the car when its nice cool.

hmmmm.

Im still getting power-up issues. Initially I thought it was due to the heat inside the car as its currently summer in Australia, but on a few separate occasions, the camera wouldnt power up in the morning on first start-up of the car when its nice cool.

Sorry about that, my original comment was more geared towards OP's post.

Kremmen: I am curious if you, or anyone for that matter, have tested the Samsuing card? I have the same SanDisk as Adomi01. It claims maximum speeds of 100MB/s Read and 40MB/s write but when connected to my Mac vis USB 3 I only get 20MB/s read and write. However, while disappointing, it seems adequate since viewing the footage I do not see any sign of dropped frames.

It seems to not be an exact science but I've seen countless posts where getting a faster card has solved many issues regarding dashcams suddenly stopping to record for no apparent reason or failing to start.

If you're reporting 30Mbps via a USB3 card reader then 30 must be OK for your setup.

As I said, I know the latest Nextbase dashcams ideally require 50Mbps and they must have better test equipment than us.

Back