Viofo A119 V3 VS A119S V1

Yooshaw

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2x Mobius, 2 x SG9665GC, 2 x A119S, 2 x A119V3
Keeping the comparisons going:

Placed the Viofo A119V3 (FW 1.02) next to my A119S V1 (FW 4Vk) for a night comparison. Both cameras had CPL and WDR on.

First off, I think in the process of combing the two videos and re-encoding, some details were lost in the A119V3 video, as the video above shows the V3 having more motion blur than it actually does. Here's some still shots to demonstrate:

From the split video:

Here you can see the detail from the A119S looks sharper than the A119V3, but this really isn't the case.

Same scene (although slightly further away), this time taken directly from the source video:

A119S

A119V3

So, takeaway here is take split videos comparisons with the understanding that whenever videos are re-encoded (especially if the videos are at different resolutions, like these two videos), the editing/encoding process can introduce new variables.

To that end, a couple more still shots for comparison:

A119S

A119V3

A119S

A119V3

A119S

A119V3

And why I like to use a Mobius with a 12mm lens:

My thoughts:

For nighttime performance, the A119S and A119V3 are very similar. To my eyes, the A119V3 is slightly brighter, giving some more details in dark area. But the A119S is no slouch, and still holds up well. Neither do a good job at reading license plates at night unless you are very close.

If I had an A119S and was considering the A119V3, personally I'd hold onto the A119S, especially thanks to @BCHobbyist for the excellent firmware that has elevated the A119S even further.

Keeping the comparisons going:
Placed the Viofo A119V3 (FW 1.02) next to my A119S V1 (FW 4Vk) for a night comparison. Both cameras had CPL and WDR on.
First off, I think in the process of combing the two videos and re-encoding, some details were lost in the A119V3 video, as the video above shows the V3 having more motion blur than it actually does. Here's some still shots to demonstrate:
From the split video:

Here you can see the detail from the A119S looks sharper than the A119V3, but this really isn't the case.

Same scene (although slightly further away), this time taken directly from the source video:

A119S

A119V3

So, takeaway here is take split videos comparisons with the understanding that whenever videos are re-encoded (especially if the videos are at different resolutions, like these two videos), the editing/encoding process can introduce new variables.

To that end, a couple more still shots for comparison:

A119S

A119V3

A119S

A119V3

A119S

A119V3

And why I like to use a Mobius with a 12mm lens:

My thoughts:

For nighttime performance, the A119S and A119V3 are very similar. To my eyes, the A119V3 is slightly brighter, giving some more details in dark area. But the A119S is no slouch, and still holds up well. Neither do a good job at reading license plates at night unless you are very close.

If I had an A119S and was considering the A119V3, personally I'd hold onto the A119S, especially thanks to @BCHobbyist for the excellent firmware that has elevated the A119S even further.
Excellent A119S 1080p vs A119 V3 1440p comparison. We all spent many months perfecting modified firmware for the A119S dashcam and it clearly shows in your night footage, well done, Sir.
The A119S using MOD-4Vk at 24 Mb/s with Menu Sharpness selected to match Lens focus has always yielded superior image quality. The detail improves when using MOD-6Vk at 26 Mb/s bitrate.
A119S Modified Firmware = https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html

What bitrate was selected on A119 V3 ? looks like medium=25 Mb/s, if it was high 30 Mb/s it would be very disappointing.

Excellent A119S 1080p vs A119 V3 1440p comparison. We all spent many months perfecting modified firmware for the A119S dashcam and it clearly shows in your night footage, well done, Sir.
The A119S using MOD-4Vk at 24 Mb/s with Menu Sharpness selected to match Lens focus has always yielded superior image quality. The detail improves when using MOD-6Vk at 26 Mb/s bitrate.
A119S Modified Firmware = https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html

What bitrate was selected on A119 V3 ? looks like medium=25 Mb/s, if it was high 30 Mb/s it would be very disappointing.

A119V3 was at high bitrate. I chose the medium bitrate for the A119S because I'm worried about the heat here in Texas. Didn't have the motivation to update it just for this test. Will be going to Medium on the A119V3 for the same reason.

Not much difference in night performance with both unable to give any clarity at reading signs or number plates which is what I look for when determining how good they are.

I'm happy with the A119S V2 ... and considering the new A119 V3 for my next purchase ... or stay with the A119S

Last edited:
Not much difference in night performance with both unable to give any clarity at reading signs or number plates which is what I look for when determining how good they are.

I'm happy with the A119S V2 ... and considering the new A119 V3 for my next purchase ... or stay with the A119S

I'm happy with the A119V3 replacing my A119SV1 upfront. Daytime performance is definitely better, and night performance is about the same. I moved the A119S to the rear. I prefer this upgrade method that getting a dual channel. Also like having separate units for redundancy sake.

Yes if stealth are not a major concern, moving a old single camera to another window only make sense.

The A119S is perfect for the rear ... where I have mine. I was spoilt with having a 1440 VicoVation MF3 up front.
Loved the daytime Video Quality only became unreliable and replaced with aViofoPRO. Doesn't cut it unfortunately in the 'happy' Video Quality stakes ... but does the job.

This Viofo A119 V3 is looking impressive ... so could get one and have the PRO as a spare for when there's a breakdown.

Being without a Dashcam on the front or back is a bit like (but not quite as bad as) your Coffee Machine breaking down.
YIKES! ... How am I going to survive! :arghh:

Last edited:
And there is, download, original 4K_A119S?

Back