VIOFO A119 V3

Ok, now you have posted those video samples.
The comparation it's not fair. At 17:25 it is 45 minutes before sunset. Very hard condition, especially with CPL.

Yeah you're right. I thought the condition is decent at that hour but it doesn't seem to be the case. I checked footage from earlier and it looks good indeed.

I still have the night time problem though. HDR off seems to be better than on during the night, but it should've been the opposite from what I read. Here are the videos:

HDR ON:
HDR OFF:

The one thing that nearly caught me out was that the CPL filter I bought for my second V3 had a protective film on both sides

The one thing that nearly caught me out was that the CPL filter I bought for my second V3 had a protective film on both sides

I did remove the protective film from both sides.

Night time quality is terrible with the CPL filter on. Just take a look... did I just spent money to have a totally worse video quality?

Attachments

• nightquality.png
    nightquality.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • nightquality_2.png
    nightquality_2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
What are your settings ?

There are 2 that introduce dummy frames and in my experience both cause worse screenshots

1) 60fps
2) HDR

I know HDR works at night for some but just my experience both cause additional motion blur

In the end I settled on firmware 1.03, native 1440 resolution, 30fps, high bitrate, WDR off.

Just to repeat, this is not a demand that you change because it's best but just what works best for me after many years of experimenting with all firmware versions from 1.02 right up to the latest with the HDR timer

Yeah you're right. I thought the condition is decent at that hour but it doesn't seem to be the case. I checked footage from earlier and it looks good indeed.

I still have the night time problem though. HDR off seems to be better than on during the night, but it should've been the opposite from what I read. Here are the videos:
I did remove the protective film from both sides.

Night time quality is terrible with the CPL filter on. Just take a look... did I just spent money to have a totally worse video quality?

What is the make and model of your vehicle?
It looks like your headlight adjustment is low and centered.
Also, it seems to be less violent. may require an adjustment.

Light is important for HDR.

Does your vehicle have height adjustment according to load weight?
If there is, turn it to "0" position when there is no load.

If you adjust the headlights and use the required height adjustment, your problem will disappear.
(I am waiting for a video or image after applying my recommendations)

What are your settings ?

There are 2 that introduce dummy frames and in my experience both cause worse screenshots

1) 60fps
2) HDR

I know HDR works at night for some but just my experience both cause additional motion blur

In the end I settled on firmware 1.03, native 1440 resolution, 30fps, high bitrate, WDR off.

Just to repeat, this is not a demand that you change because it's best but just what works best for me after many years of experimenting with all firmware versions from 1.02 right up to the latest with the HDR timer

I do use 1440p@60 fps but it looks kinda the same on 30 fps (I prefer 60, at least during the day). Exposure 0 but I tried -1/3 as well.
HDR is always off for me, the night video quality seems to get worse if I turn it on (as you said, it adds motion blur).

What is the make and model of your vehicle?
It looks like your headlight adjustment is low and centered.
Also, it seems to be less violent. may require an adjustment.

Light is important for HDR.

Does your vehicle have height adjustment according to load weight?
If there is, turn it to "0" position when there is no load.

If you adjust the headlights and use the required height adjustment, your problem will disappear.
(I am waiting for a video or image after applying my recommendations)
I have a Dacia Spring and I'm not really sure how to properly adjust the headlights. But this problem is new, as the recording was looking fine before installing the CPL filter.

I have Dacia Spring and I'm not really sure how to properly adjust the headlights. But this problem is new, as the recording was looking fine before installing the CPL filter.

Center the small red line on your cpl filter exactly. Then enable HDR for night driving. Set it to automatic and use HDR off between sunrise and sunset and on at night.
By the way, set your headlight setting to 0 in the video above. Everything will probably be better.

Last edited:
Back