VIOFO A119 V3

The V3 is the current latest model but all the ones mentioned are very capable. It really about how much you want spend. The V2 is a very good value dashcam with wide angle lens not always prefered by some. The pro is a sort of half way house between V2- V3 with a narrower view lens. The V3 is my preferred dashcam with all the features of the V2 with clear and brighter picture. It has a better lens and completely different internal hardware but looks the same as the V2. The hidden features of the V3 are best left to people who dabble and is not recommended for general users.
The V3 as yet to appear on sale but should be available shortly and you may be able to pre-order by emailing direct to Viofo via the contact option of thier web page. There are other models in the pipeline of a higher spec but it depend on how long you want to wait for a new model and how much do want spend.

Recorded some V3 footage at 1440p with default MP4 H.264 AVC compression and similar route using hidden H.265 HEVC compression. From these videos both have pixelation and what seems like soft focus or soft sharpness. The H.264 clips are 25.8 Mb/s and lower than I'd like. Seeking opinions which compression method looks better?

Viofo A119 V3 Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a119-v3-dash-camera-review.blogspot.com/
Dashcam Buyer's Guide & Advice: https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
@BCHobbyist
Vids below, 1 minute, low bitrate then high bitrate. Screengrabs 1 & 2 Low Bitrate, grabs 3 & 4 high bitrate
RAW files here:
LOW
HIGH
On YouTube:
Low Bitrate:
High Bitrate:
Do you have time to test new V3 Bitrate MOD ?

For fine detail I think the 264 is somewhat better
Do you have time to test new V3 Bitrate MOD ?
It's rather difficult to say exactly when the scenes vary so much. Do you have a means to mount 2 cameras or can you position your vehicle in the same location/view so one is seeing the same picture (somewhat) relative to the different bitrates.

Last edited:
For fine detail I think the 264 is somewhat better
It's rather difficult to say exactly when the scenes vary so much. Do you have a means to mount 2 cameras or can you position your vehicle in the same location/view so one is seeing the same picture (somewhat) relative to the different bitrates.
You missed the point, variable bitrate and compression differences only occur with moving scenes. A static video comparison reveals no difference.

You missed the point, variable bitrate and compression differences only occur with moving scenes. A static video comparison reveals no difference.

I think Lola meant the scenes are difficult to compare because they are too different scene wise. Having differently compressed/encoded footage from one and he same scene would make the comparison more straightforward.

I tried the secret 4K mode but playback on my PC was very jerky.

The reason why I am not using it but It does not state it supports 4K in the Specs, So look at 4K as a freebie. It almost certainly interpolated and 1440p is the best mode.

The real benefit to using the hidden H.265 HEVC - High Efficiency Video Coding compression is to reduce MP4 clip sizes without losing image quality. Unfortunately it requires more Dashcam processing power and faster computers for smooth viewing. The hidden 4K option is good way to test your current viewers and editing software. Once the hidden HEVC is enabled its applied to all other normal resolutions which is how I recorded the above footage.
I was expecting 1440p H.265 to be noticeably better, much easier to use the standard MP4 H.264 AVC compression.
The A119 V3 uses Sony 5-MP IMX335 Exmor R Sensor - listed on Wikipedia the maximum "Number of effective pixels = 2596 x 1944 5.0 MP" and is not 4K = 3840x2160 so the hidden 4K is only interpolated and stretched/cropped/zoomed.

Last edited:
This is the Best night image detail I've seen from any Viofo Dashcam.
WDR was disabled to see what Starvis Night Vision can do on its own with CPL Filter attached.

That is pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a link to a low bitrate sample Google Drive

And yet another squirrel. It is not me shrieking in the wife.

I never said anything about a Static video or implied it! You missed the point.

Here is a link to a low bitrate sample Google Drive

And yet another squirrel. It is not me shrieking in the wife.
Thanks for the 20 Mb/s Low Bitrate footage, I'd never use it for 1440 resolution due to lack of detail.
Those rural roads are great unless you're a squirrel.

Producing the low bitrate sample is likely to be the only time I will change the bitrate. It back on high to stay.

This night vision video isn't doing it for me. When I pause the video to check clarity of number plates of parked Cars on each side and in front ... it is all blur.
I've seen footage where number plates are clear to read ... that is the real test ... yeah? My first impression anyway.

Even the number plate coming up to the Car in front. Took way too long to be readable ... almost at stopping distance. I'd want better than that.

Last edited:
What's the technical reason why 1440@60 hasn't been available on any dashcam ?

Back