VIOFO A119 V3

The 4K GitUp F1 can record at 1440p60. Perhaps the forthcoming 4K Viofo A129 Pro will also offer that resolution option?

What's the technical reason why 1440@60 hasn't been available on any dashcam ?
I think only that the processors capable of doing so are more expensive than the ones that only manage 1440@30, and also tend to overheat when used in dashcams.

For most people, 60fps in a dashcam provides no benefit over 30fps and does reduce record times, so there hasn't been a great demand for 60fps.

As TonyM points out, the 4K 30fps processors can do 1440 60fps, including those in the Gitup F1 and Viofo A129 Pro, although I prefer to use their native resolution, which allows you to read plates at greater distance while they are still moving across the image slower, thus making the 60fps unnecessary.

Last edited:
The 4K GitUp F1 can record at 1440p60. Perhaps the forthcoming 4K Viofo A129 Pro will also offer that resolution option?
Likely other sports cams that can as well, it's not quite there yet for mainstream dashcam use, the technology is constantly evolving though so it's only a matter of time

For most people, 60fps in a dashcam provides no benefit over 30fps

the 4K 30fps processors can do 1440 60fps ... although I prefer to use their native resolution, which allow you to read plates at greater distance while they are still moving across the image slower, thus making the 60fps unnecessary.
(y)

This is the Best night image detail I've seen from any Viofo Dashcam.
WDR was disabled to see what Starvis Night Vision can do on its own with CPL Filter attached.

Oh, wow. That's so impressive!

The resolution is impressive, but the dark zones are too dark. Maybe enabling WDR can solve the problem.

The resolution is impressive, but the dark zones are too dark. Maybe enabling WDR can solve the problem.
It is not a problem, if you are making a movie then you want it to look dark at night, so it is correct. If you are using it as an accident camera and want night time to look almost like daylight, that is what WDR is for, and one of the advantages of the new Sony Starvis sensors is that they can do more WDR due to the sensor having greater dynamic range. Might be nice to be able to choose how much WDR to use now that the sensors are more capable of it.

We/I use camera as a dashcam, not for movies. In this very moment, my A119s ( even with WDR disabled ) is better at night.

l.e.
Even for movies I think that the dark zones are too dark.

Pure black is what most professional video producers try to achieve for a more natural looking picture. There are time when the pure black is not preferred. Perhaps if you don't like pure black you should turn on WDR or/and turn up the exposure value. The less grainy video the V3 produces is more important the shade of black.

It is a matter of details that are missing in dark areas, we see nothig there. in my opinion is very important to have details also for the zones with low light. For this video the Dynamic Range is very bad.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

A119 V3 Firmware v1.00 Wishlist
- increase audio recording volume.
- increase default Sharpness level.
- change Low Bitrate from 20 to 25 Mb/s
- change High Bitrate from 25 to 28 or 30 Mb/s
- add Sharpness options Strong / Normal / Soft
- add H.265 icon indicator to live view screen when enabled.
- add option to disable blinking REC button in Parking Mode but allow REC LED while driving.
- add Power Off Temperature control ==> 85C to 65C , Off
- add Beep Volume options ==> Low + Medium + High
<appended items>
- add WDR icon indicator to live view screen when enabled. (BUG found > WDR-on has zero effect)

Last edited:
I want to see in the new firmware
when the screen is off the display, of speed on the screen!

The A119 V3 current firmware v1.00 has a BUG that prevents WDR from activating even when Menu setting shows ON.
The obvious clue was no WDR icon appears on main screen after exiting the menu which has already been reported.

No big deal for me never use WDR.

I realise this v3 is not dual channel but just wondering if there is a dual channel version in the pipeline?

There is the A129Pro in development at the moment no release date yet. As far as the A119V3 I do not think a dual channel version is going to available. If I am wrong I am sure @viofo will post here.

Back