VIOFO A119 V3

Hi,
I just bought this dash cam, I have a simple question. do i need use exactly the charger that is in dash cam box? my car is renault koleos 2018 and I wanted connect dash cam cable directly to usb ports which are for charging devices and are in The middle console , but I worry about how much Power flow in mA dash cam will use! because the charger which is in dash cam box is a dual usb 3.5 A charger! is it safe for dash cam and car that I use fabric usb ports created by renault in car ?
Thank You
p.s: sorry my English is not good

Hi,
I just bought this dash cam, I have a simple question. do i need use exactly the charger that is in dash cam box? my car is renault koleos 2018 and I wanted connect dash cam cable directly to usb ports which are for charging devices and are in The middle console , but I worry about how much Power flow in mA dash cam will use! because the charger which is in dash cam box is a dual usb 3.5 A charger! is it safe for dash cam and car that I use fabric usb ports created by renault in car ?
Thank You
p.s: sorry my English is not good

You don't necessarily need to use the charger that came with the camera but you need to make sure whatever charger you use outputs at least 1.5 amps of current or more. Many of the USB ports built into cars only output 500 mAh, although some vehicles have more powerful ports. You need to make sure your Renault has adequate power output.

Small, inexpensive USB current and voltage testers are available that makes testing your ports easy.

tester.jpg

P.S. Your English is just fine. :)

you can try the car USB port, but some times / often they are not powerful enough.
Same go for multi port USB charging adapters some times.
If you see erratic behaviour its probably lacking power, but that should not destroy the camera

One can only wonder why they make the car USB so weak, say you have a fairly flat 3000 MAH phone, you will have to drive for a while to top that up.
My phone are on a 2.4 A port, and in the car i don't drive much is where almost all of my phone charging are done, and mind you i often have the phone going with a waze like local app.
I think if you have your phone going, and on a 500 MAH port, the charge the battery will see got to be very small.

I'm testing a new firmware
Very nice :)

But what is the effect on a plate passing by at high speed in poor lighting?
And on number plates over exposed by headlights at night?

Looking very good :)

Firmware (in beta testing) doesn't generally get shared around - you need to see if the staff at Viofo might send it you.

Very nice :)

But what is the effect on a plate passing by at high speed in poor lighting?
And on number plates over exposed by headlights at night?

I have made two observations:
1) at night the number plates of vehicles driving in front of you are overexposed and appear as a white rectangle -> cannot be read
2) at night the number plates of forthcoming or cars overtaken are blurry due to motion blur

Hypothesis: both effects are due to too long exposure.

I wondered if it would be possible to capture one frame every 15 or 30 frames (every 0,5-1 second) with shorter exposure to be able to read the number plate.
I know that everything else will be totally dark in those frames but I would see them just as "number plate frames" then.

Last edited:
The video sensor settings are applied according to the datasheet.
2592x1944p

1296x972p

These resolutions can be changed in a 16:9 ratio. This has already been verified.
The following parameters are currently changed:
Code:
-ISO
-sharpness
-noise suppression
-black levels
-contrast
-expotable
-curve gamma for the day
-added saturation
-increased bitrate
-implemented other improvements

Last edited:
The firmware modification is nearing completion.
Another day or two for testing and you can start using...
Basic working video resolutions:
2592х1944p - 4:3
2592х1458p - 16:9
1296х972p - 4:3

Some more screenshots...

Special thanks to comrades Leonauto and GSE for testing and videos!!!
smile19.gif

Last edited:
Looking good mate.

Back