VIOFO A119 V3

I'm thinking the 90 seconds could allow for the vagaries of accessory power behavior on different cars.

I tried to snag a license plate from today's drive with HDR on.
I believe I see the multi-imaging that was referred to earlier in the thread.

hdr test.jpg.jpg

It'll be a lot more prominent at night.

So, would you say it's an improvement over having it turned off during the day?
Ideally it would be off during the day and on at night. There is a possibility (I stress possibility) that Viofo could add some kind of setting that would automatically turn it on and off based on the time. There is a thread on DashCamTalk showing still shots of plate numbers at night (with HDR on).

That is quite severe motion blur for just 14mph. My current footage isn't that bad at triple that speed and taking closing speed into consideration. I'll examine my footage next week after my next journey.

V2.0 2020.07.11
two fragments with numbers, opposite lane, speed on videо

07-53-32-20309106.png

Last edited:
Well that sucked. I upgraded the firmware (yes, I did the factory reset and hard reset) but no matter what settings I tried the parking mode wouldn't trigger and record anything, it just stayed with the rapidly blinking record LED, I tried jumping up and down in front of the camera, flashing the lights and nothing was recorded. I've gone back to using the previous firmware until I read that things have been fixed (I've retested the rollback firmware and everything is working as it should)

Well that sucked. I upgraded the firmware (yes, I did the factory reset and hard reset) but no matter what settings I tried the parking mode wouldn't trigger and record anything, it just stayed with the rapidly blinking record LED, I tried jumping up and down in front of the camera, flashing the lights and nothing was recorded. I've gone back to using the previous firmware until I read that things have been fixed (I've retested the rollback firmware and everything is working as it should)
I couldn't duplicate that. I actually tried auto event detection for the first time, and it worked. I walked in front, and the REC light went solid and recorded.
Did you try powering it off with the switch and then turn on car and then turn off again? That seemed to help. I had park mode timer to "off" and parking timer to 60 min, if that means anything.

What I did notice was that 60fps inside a dark-ish house garage sucks-a lot of static (for want of a better word). 30fps much better. If that translates to night work, another thing, like HDR, that should be turned off after dark, lol.

Edit: HDR should be turned ON after dark, apparently.

So far, for me, the parking timer is the only useful change, although I haven't actually checked that out.

Last edited:
At 30FPS the sensor has twice the time to capture light at night as it does when using 60FPS. Daytime 60FPS will reduce motion blur since you've got plenty of light then.
HDR and WDR functions in dashcams should be tested both on and off day and night till you decide what gets you the best results.

Phil

That's all well and good, but looking at tiny screens and pushing little buttons depending on the amount of ambient light, isn't gonna make it for me.

It's a compromise, but most of us who need both day and night performance use 30FPS and just leave it there. Usually good enough daytime, just a little more motion blur.

Phil

Back