VIOFO A119 V3

I really think lighting and other things are big factors.
I got this plate yesterday, but there were many I didn't get.
1440, 30fps, HDR off, cpl on.
Edit: What I thought interesting was that at above settings, bitrate was about 30kbps, while at 60fps it was around 26kbps, hence the smaller file size.
View attachment 52707

That's absolutely true. The same video on a cloudy day would likely not have captured the license plate number. Other factors are the combined speed of the two vehicles approaching one another or the angle of approach such as going around a curve.

Here’s a small video clip of the the issue I’m experiencing.

No issue on 30fps, only 60fps.

I'm impressed with the clarity of the new 60fps. I must have knocked the lens because I was showing too much sky so it was a bit darker. More testing required.

Still motion blur but at closing speeds of 60 to 80mph I'm not surprised.

Looks like a power supply issue. Are you using the supplied USB charger and cable?

All factory hardware is being used. I’m 100% confident that the issue lays with the latest firmware update.

I’ve tested the 30fps modes, and played with other settings, and everything seems fine. That is, until you hit the 60fps or above.

1440@60fps = issue
1080@60fps = issue
720@120fps = issue

@Tyestick, does the flickering only happen in your garage or does it happen anywhere else? Does the lighting in your garage happen to be from LED fixtures?

LEDs in certain lighting fixtures, car headlights, tail lights and flashlights often use a method of controlling brightness called PWM which stands for Pulse Width Modulation. When you see an illuminated LED that looks like it is on full time, it is actually flickering at very high speeds, hundreds or even thousands of times per second at varying power levels in order to control brightness. It does this via a process called the duty cycle where pulses of power (voltage) are sent to the LED emitters at high speed according to their brightness requirements. A PWM switching frequency that is too low will exhibit a flickering effect. Our eyes can easily pick up switching frequencies of ~120Hz or lower. If the designer switches at 200Hz or greater, this effect is hardly if ever perceptible by the human eye. But depending on the particular LED circuitry however, these LED emitters that may look to the human eye to be on full time, like a standard light bulb, are often captured by digital cameras as flickering lights. I'm sure many members here on DCT have noticed this occasionally in their dash cam videos at night with street signage and flickering, and especially the car tail lights of certain vehicles. With some (but not all) LED flashlights, if you wave it back and forth in a dark room you can witness this as a flickering or strobing effect with the naked eye.

So, I just want to put this out there as a theory. Assuming this problem is confined to your parking garage where you've so far posted a screen shot and a video, I'm speculating that LED PWM from the lighting in your garage may be causing the strange flickering you are seeing in your footage.

In theory, the slower the shutter speed and frame rate of the camera, the less flickering you should see.

pwm.gif

pwm2.jpg

Last edited:
We will recheck this 60fps issue, it seems only happen while in low light condition.

I really think lighting and other things are big factors.
I got this plate yesterday, but there were many I didn't get.
1440, 30fps, HDR off, cpl on.
Edit: What I thought interesting was that at above settings, bitrate was about 30kbps, while at 60fps it was around 26kbps, hence the smaller file size.
View attachment 52707
Using the multiple exposure HDR, it is almost impossible to solve this.

We do think HDR is very useful for dashcam, and we are looking for some new solutions for future models.

I ended up getting the new firmware installed and working properly, however with HDR turned on everything was way overexposed or underexposed. I know that I can probably mess with the exposure settings but why should I when the previous firmware had WDR and worked very well, but with no option for 1440p60, but I can live with that. What would have been perfect is to have the new firmware available WITH WDR as an option so we could choose between HDR or WDR.

I've since gone back to using V1.03 again.

From the looks of examples being posted here in this thread the V3 appears to have trouble syncing the registration of the two HDR 30 frame images when capturing other vehicles at speed, hence the double exposures we're seeing. I wonder if @viofo might be able to address the problem of these out of registration double images in a future firmware update or whether it is simply baked into the cake in the processor implementation?

Using the multiple exposure HDR, it is almost impossible to solve this.

We do think HDR is very useful for dashcam, and we are looking for some new solutions for future models.

Are you confirming that the two out-of-registration images can not be aligned properly with HDR enabled?

I wonder why Novatek would implement a feature like HDR in a dashcam SoC like the NT96670 if they already knew in advance it couldn't function properly to capture oncoming vehicles?

I do hope you can find a solution a some point.

In the meantime, 60 fps with the exposure reduced by -1/3 seems to produce excellent results. (y)

In the meantime, 60 fps with the exposure reduced by -1/3 seems to produce excellent results. (y)

I have my exposure set at -1/3 as well. HDR off.

Here’s 1440 @ 60fps at night:

@ Viofo, correct, the issues begin once it starts to get dark.

Back