VIOFO A119 V3

It's not like it's hard to revert to previous firmware if there was a firmware change. Noting it was purely me speculating that some change could occur in future firmware.

It's also reported on reviews that even the better samples have comparatively low audio levels. So unless distortion is introduced it would just mean turning the volume down when playing recordings back. I'm hoping they get back to me with something with the gain adjusted in between V2.3 and V2.4, if they don't I can live with the odd bit of distortion on louder sounds.

As I posted earlier, contact Viofo support if you have audio issues- I won't be sharing the V2.4. So don't go messaging me.

If you've got low audio volume then log a support request here https://support.viofo.com/support/home (click on "Submit a Ticket.")

If people who are having problems don't notify them it won't be investigated.

So unless distortion is introduced it would just mean turning the volume down when playing recordings back.

I agree that it is a simple matter to turn down the volume on a louder than normal dash cam video for my own viewing. I've done that plenty of times. A problem can arise when you have to hand off a video clip to a law enforcement officer, an attorney an insurance company or whomever. In some cases, that means bringing the video into an editing program to lower the volume. I've found myself having to do that at one time because I didn't want the loud volume to be a distraction to the people I needed to hand the videos off to. I'd prefer to have the stock audio volume somewhere within a reasonable range to begin with. I'm sure most folks would feel the same.

I've done that plenty of times. A problem can arise when you have to hand off a video clip to a law enforcement officer, an attorney an insurance company or whomever. In some cases, that means bringing the video into an editing program to lower the volume. I've found myself having to do that at one time because I didn't want the loud volume to be a distraction to the people I needed to hand the videos off to. I'd prefer to have the stock audio volume somewhere within a reasonable range to begin with.
Why can't they adjust the volume to suit themselves? :confused:

Better to be able to hear things like the fact you used your indicator (and it can be heard in the video) than saying you did but the audio doesn't agree. Or if someone is tailgating, honking their horn abusing you etc. (Happened to me last week- the Mobius rear cam picked up the horn.)

(PS: BTW at the V2.4 level it's not ridiculously loud, nor distorting all the time.)

Jokiin - don't they have some sort of AGC circuit?
I'm not familiar with their hardware, I've dealt with a similar issue before though and we played with adjusting gains to try and sort it, the results weren't acceptable, in the end we just replaced any affected cameras

Why can't they adjust the volume to suit themselves? :confused:
Seems like an obvious and logical question but you wouldn't believe the clueless things people can do. From my experience, both personally and professionally, if you want to resolve a civil, legal, insurance or marketing matter with dash cam video or other media the best way to do it is to make everything as idiot proof and easy to deal with as possible. Often, you just don't know who's desk your video is going to land on and what their skills, knowledge or level of common sense may be. You may have zero control over who eventually gets to deal with your matter once your video is out of your hands and into their hands. So give them a video with a reasonable volume level already in place and they are more likely to hear what you intend them to hear (and see what you intend them to see) and then you are more likely to obtain the outcome you seek.

Last edited:
Just a thought, with the audio volume a lot of people use I doubt you would hear the indicators going off. I don't have my audio at disco levels but it certainly drowns out the indicators tick.

I don't have my audio at disco levels but it certainly drowns out the indicators tick.
With the V2.4 firmware the indicators can be heard with the audio at normal listening levels. That was one of the issues I had with this camera and why I wanted the mic performance improved.

Won’t adjusting the gain cause problems for people with cams where the audio is fine unless the firmware is detecting a piece of hardware and adjusting accordingly?
Oops, in the end, the fanboys also accepted that they changed the microphones... and God knows what else... ;)

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me as it does seem the newer V3's are posted as quieter.

Oops, in the end, the fanboys also accepted that they changed the microphones... and God knows what else... ;)
Wouldn't surprise me as it does seem the newer V3's are posted as quieter.

Interesting theory about a change in the source of microphones as a result of the pandemic but both of my V3 units initially had excessively low audio levels except they were purchased and installed before that time. If there was a change in components it happened earlier than Covid.

Only if you could test a latter version you will notice the differences. The copy I owned for a while (december 2020) had almost NO SOUND at all. More than this, the sound was inconsistent, with sudden variations.
Maybe it was really defective, but others tried to convinced me (not very elegant) it wasn't.

I would not make it a general available firmware, but it would be a nice option for the people with MIC problems with regular firmware's.

Only if you could test a latter version you will notice the differences. The copy I owned for a while (december 2020) had almost NO SOUND at all. More than this, the sound was inconsistent, with sudden variations.
Maybe it was really defective, but others tried to convinced me (not very elegant) it wasn't.

My units were purchased in mid September, 2019 and the end of November, 2019 and both had very quiet audio. I don't imagine later units would have been any different. As I've mentioned previously, the sound levels improved dramatically with the v 2.0 firmware update but the audio quality isn't exactly up to the standards I've become accustomed to from other cams I've owned over the years. Defective? Probably not, but these cameras seem to have an issue that needs to be addressed.

Check the link I gave in my message (take it again). You'll find a little video sample. I also analyzed it in Audacity and see the curve is... flat: dead sound, deceased. ;)
But, like I said, it's possible that my copy may have been defective. I returned it, I have no time for experiences with Viofo's patching firmwares.

Last edited:
I have no time for experiences with Viofo's patching firmwares.

To be honest, the FW updates from all manufacturers either satisfies someone or upsets someone, not just Viofo's. There are threads about BlackVue, Nextbase, and others. Unfortunately, forums tend to be awash with complaints (no matter if it's a dashcam or television) and very little to compliment.

If you have no time for them, why do you continue to follow this thread? You don't have this camera now, so it's serving you no purpose.

Asking for a friend ;)

Yeah no pleasing every one, not even if you are just throwing money out a window, cuz then someone will complain they was not there to catch the free money.

Crude language (include text on video intro) warning - this is an A119S going by the text on the video. The audio is pretty average sounding. (The person needs to clean their windscreen/ get a CPL.)

I haven't had any further response to my last reply to Viofo support.

I would not make it a general available firmware, but it would be a nice option for the people with MIC problems with regular firmware's.
There's no reason why they couldn't offer two different firmware downloads - one with increased mic gain, the other left "as is".

There's no reason why they couldn't offer two different firmware downloads - one with increased mic gain, the other left "as is".
forking the firmware to two versions becomes a headache for any ongoing updates as they then need to maintain two different versions for all future changes

Back