VIOFO A119 V3

other owners have reported issues such as low light banding,
I've noticed that when testing the firmware. I can live with it as it doesn't seem to be to the point where it would obscure any detail I'd require (like reading vehicle plates.)

I've noticed that when testing the firmware. I can live with it as it doesn't seem to be to the point where it would obscure any detail I'd require (like reading vehicle plates.)

Yeah, I've been able to live with it too as it doesn't seem that bad. Plus, I live in a rural area where I'm often driving around in pitch dark anyway. Then again, it shouldn't really be there and apparently, as a few people have reported so far it can be pretty bad in some situations.

Yeah, I've been able to live with it too as it doesn't seem that bad. Plus, I live in a rural area where I'm often driving around in pitch dark anyway
I've only noticed it briefly on the video as I've parked in the garage and the roller door is closing. I don't do much driving at night so can't (and won't) say it wouldn't be an issue.

I've only noticed it briefly on the video as I've parked in the garage and the roller door is closing. I don't do much driving at night so can't (and won't) say it wouldn't be an issue.

I usually don't drive that much at night either, especially within the last year due to the pandemic but here where I live it starts to get dark at 4 o'clock in the afternoon in early winter and it is more or less completely dark by 4:30 PM and that's when I began noticing the low light banding. It is especially pronounced if there is some low level of artificial illumination, almost like 60 cycle electrical interference in appearance.

You keep mentioning over and over throughout this thread that you haven't had any problems with your camera. Meanwhile, many other owners have reported issues such as low light banding, audio/microphone problems, HDR double exposures and a few other things. If true, then it sounds as if there are issues with some production runs of this camera and not others.

I was simply replying to the post that was perhaps looking for better cinema like quality in both video and sound that IMO is not possible in a very small windscreen mounted device.

My comment, if you read what I posted properly, was that I'm very pleased with my V3 in comparison to my first dashcam.

I was NOT, I repeat NOT, making any reference to anybody elses V3 and the issue with what looks like some V3 batches microphones.

I was simply replying to the post that was perhaps looking for better cinema like quality in both video and sound that IMO is not possible in a very small windscreen mounted device.

My comment, if you read what I posted properly, was that I'm very pleased with my V3 in comparison to my first dashcam.

I was NOT, I repeat NOT, making any reference to anybody elses V3 and the issue with what looks like some V3 batches microphones.

@Kremmen, I wasn't challenging you, or questioning you. I'm sorry if it may have come across that way. I was merely suggesting that if you have a camera that has good image quality, no issue with low light banding and no audio deficiency problems then perhaps some units coming out of production runs have some sort of manufacturing flaws or problem components and some don't and that may be the explanation for some owners reporting different experiences with the V3 than others. I also recognize that you were only talking about your personal experience with your own V3's microphone, not anybody else's but that was basically my point.

As for comparing the camera to your first dash cam I only seem to recall one post you made about that whereas I was referring to multiple posts where you've pointed out that you haven't been experiencing any of the issues, particularly the low light banding issue that others have been reporting.

FWIW, you too have also made reference to the idea that different units have certain issues such as banding and some don't.

My A119 V3, running at 60fps, has never seen any banding so there must be some common denominator and not a blanket issue that you keep posting.

Please accept that it's not all A119 V3 setups that have this issue.

Last edited:
BTW, is there any difference between the new firmware you're testing and the current official release in regard to the banding issue?
No idea on that one as I've only been testing the audio and happened to notice it. I've never specifically looked for banding issues and (as I said) I don't drive it in the dark very often. My guess is only the audio has been changed?

No idea on that one as I've only been testing the audio and happened to notice it. I've never specifically looked for banding issues and (as I said) I don't drive it in the dark very often. My guess is only the audio has been changed?

I can definately understand that. For quite some time after reports of the low light banding problem I thought it didn't affect my cameras for similar reasons. I finally noticed it on footage from my rear facing cam while leaving a local supermarket parking lot one evening after venturing out for groceries during a period of partial COVID lock-down.

Well, I'm liking the latest firmware with the mic gain turned up. I've only tried it out in the quieter/ softer riding vehicle and even with the audio system cranked right up there's no distortion. It picks up the in cabin noises better eg. indicators operating etc.

Having followed the recent posts, this one from a user is useful, a real world test.

I've decided to stick at v 2.0 as it's causing me no issues, is performing as expected, so the old adage about 'if it ain't broke' applies.

We may never know the actual cause of the night banding/flickering or low/distorted audio. What was suspicious was that some had installed firmware 2.0 and still had display and/or audio issues which on the face of it did point to a possible hardware change at some point.

What I'd loved to have done was get one of these units, put in my SDCard, placed it into my windscreen mount and let's see what happens.

Well, I'm liking the latest firmware with the mic gain turned up.
Listen here

Listen here
The one with the voice sounds like the gain is turned right up - from the background hiss? That's perhaps more like the original version they supplied me, but hard to tell as it's obviously not recorded in a car.

I just did another check of the 2nd modified firmware from Viofo and it's definitely a winner. No boosting required from 3rd party software to hear voices and the indicator operating etc.

@Dashmellow I did some driving at night (with CPL left on) and the couple of recorded sections I've checked don't exhibit the lines.

@Dashmellow I did some driving at night (with CPL left on) and the couple of recorded sections I've checked don't exhibit the lines.

Some people report the lines and some don't. For example @Kremmen says he has never experienced the issue. In my case, after thinking I didn't have the issue I started noticing some banding in certain low light conditions but it's really not all that bad. It's something I can live with. Someone else posted a video clip last summer where the banding was really severe. (@60 fps)

@Dashmellow, and, looking at a previous post of yours, I have no doubt that you have a good power source, so can you rule that out ?

Can anyone recommend or advise of a stable or modded firmware to use?
I just purchased the A119 V3 and it shipped with V2.0 BUILD: 20200711
Before installing it in my car, I wanted to ensure parking mode worked (reason for purchase) which I've done using a Cellink Battery B.
Everything on the camera seems to check out except parking mode, I've read posts and tinkered with all the setting in the menu, waited 10+ minutes but no luck.
From what I understand, the hard wiring kit is just that, a power supply.. so it shouldn't matter if its hardwired or from a power bank right?

using the hardwire kit it switches in or out of parking mode based on signal from the ACC wire, without it you're relying on software as to when to switch, that seems to be hit and miss in some situations, definitely works better if you use the hardwire kit, you'd need to have the 3 wire output lead for the cellink as well to make it work

using the hardwire kit it switches in or out of parking mode based on signal from the ACC wire, without it you're relying on software as to when to switch, that seems to be hit and miss in some situations, definitely works better if you use the hardwire kit, you'd need to have the 3 wire output lead for the cellink as well to make it work
Thanks for that information, I've just been using the cigarette lighter connection so I will purchase the Viofo hardwire kit and the Cellink kit and try again
Going back to the firmware, I see V2.4 is available, is it advisable to do the upgrade or just stick with V2.0 or use something else?
The camera is awesome as is, but any gains in clarity I can manage would be great

some people prefer the newer firmware, some prefer the older, try them and see what you like, you can always go back to the older version if you want

Back