Viofo a119s battery cut-off options

Graeme

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for:
- Hardwired power always on for dashcam -> I'll wire this with an add-a-fuse kit myself
- Parking mode
- Low battery cut-off to keep the dashcam from draining the battery completely

Is this included with the Viofo A119s? Would I need any extra kits to have the battery cut-off option?

I see this for the A129, but so far am not sure I need the rear camera option.

Check out the RHUNDO line of products on Amazon or the Vico-Power PLUS system is good too.

Looking for:
- Hardwired power always on for dashcam -> I'll wire this with an add-a-fuse kit myself
- Parking mode

Is this included with the Viofo A119s? Would I need any extra kits to have the battery cut-off option?

I can show you a video of a woman following me for over a mile, nearly hitting me over and over.
Finally, while I sat still at a stop light, she couldn't stand to wait, she turned tight a little and gassed it. She hit me and totaled her car.
She tried to tell police that I slammed on my brakes.
The police looked at the video and told her if she chose to sign her statement, she would be arrested for a third degree felony.
She then told the truth. Her insurance company was shocked I had video of the rear crash.
No problems on repairs. Even three phone calls to see if I was hurt in any way and to see if I was happy or needed anything.
Get the rear camera!!!! [emoji4][emoji111]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Looking for:
- Parking mode

The optional VIOFO (or other brand) Hard Wire Kit includes a 12v to 5v regulator and battery monitor circuit to cut power once limit is reached.
Sounds like you need the regulator but easier to buy the wire kit.
I agree with TxDoc get a rear camera, even a cheap one.

Just a general question, I know my Viofo A119S v2 has capacitors and thankfully all is ok with my camera but I have seen some videos where the same unit is opened that there is a small circular silver battery alongside one of the capacitors..

What is that battery for and if it `dies` can you just take it out and replace it with a new one or is it physically `soldered` in.?. Thanks for any opinions on what it`s for.......

The RTC battery, stores the date and time.

Just a general question, I know my Viofo A119S v2 has capacitors and thankfully all is ok with my camera but I have seen some videos where the same unit is opened that there is a small circular silver battery alongside one of the capacitors..

What is that battery for and if it `dies` can you just take it out and replace it with a new one or is it physically `soldered` in.?. Thanks for any opinions on what it`s for.......
The tiny coin cell is the rechargeable RTC (real time clock) battery to save settings for 14-28 days. It must charge for 4 hours before will save data, uses very slow trickle charging circuit while dash cam is on. It is not a user replaceable part since its soldered to circuit board with fine leads. Its clearly visible in my disassemble video. Symptom of RTC battery failure is Menu setting change to defaults at each startup, solution connect to power bank or iphone charger for 4 hours indoors. That tiny battery was not designed to keep a charge when vehicle is parked over 30days, it will also fail after 2 or more years of regular driving (limited recharge cycle). Will post a video on how to replace it soon.
Symptom of capacitor failure is dash cam shuts off instantly when ignition is off, instead of the 2-5 second delay with red REC button lit, also last clip after ignition is off will be corrupted, replacement is then required and soldering.

Thanks BCHobbyist for your informative reply to my question...I think it must have been your video on disassembly that drew my attention to it in the first place.....excellent video..
Many thanks...

A symptom that the rechargeable RTC battery is depleted is that the Date/Time setting (only) resets to the default value when the camera powers up. Date/Time is very important to keep your camera running smoothly. Its (the RTC battery's) main function is to keep your Date/Time clock running while the camera is not powered. But Date/Time is also used by other camera functions and if significantly incorrect, the camera may exhibit problem symptoms (real or perceived) that you might not immediately relate to a Date/Time problem.

GPS Date/Time update can mitigate problems caused by a depleted RTC battery if the GPS update occurs before the first file is saved by the firmware. I'm not 100% sure if first file is saved properly in this case because that would depend on how the file is saved by the firmware. The filename, for example, is based on the video start Date/Time, but that can be captured off the clock at the video start or computed at the video end when the video is saved knowing the video duration and the end Date/Time. I suspect the latter. For me, GPS is a mandatory accessory if for no other reason than to keep the Date/Time updated.

I see that @BCHobbyist has not been on for quite a long time . I have messaged him but no response so:

Post 7 he says he'd post a vid on how to replace the RTC coin but AFAIK, never did. Has anyone done this or am I forced to buy a (probably) different camera? Seems a shame to toss out a unit for a $1 battery that still works except for time/date retention.

I do have the gps option but prefer not to use it as I don't like having my speed recorded, if you know what I mean ;)

Post 7 he says he'd post a vid on how to replace the RTC coin but AFAIK, never did. Has anyone done this or am I forced to buy a (probably) different camera? Seems a shame to toss out a unit for a $1 battery that still works except for time/date retention.
It is necessary to disassemble the recorder, remove the board, unsolder the RTC battery, and solder a new one in its place.
If you do not have the skills, you can take it to a phone or computer repair shop to replace the RTС battery

Thanks for that @gse . Been in contact with viofo--says if not the battery (currently charging on wall plug) then the capacitors need replacing. Have not disassembled to see they're blown. They also suggested reformatting the sd card (can't see that doing anything) and resetting firmware to original. That might help but yet to be tried.

amaz ca, com and nz are out of stock. ali express has them but I dunno if I want to go that route as opposed to just buying a newer/BETTER dashcam.

Last edited:
Update: because of covid, no one is allowed out for "joy" driving (only essentials like grocery, doctor or liquor. Yes , liquor is considered essential).

Anyways, kept the unit on a wall plug for a week to see if the battery would charge up. Took it off the charger, waited 1 1/2 days and plugged back in to check. It retained the time/date :D .

I guess with our lockdown, I have to remove the unit when it's not being used daily and use the wall wart.

Car ciggy lighter is as usual-not powered when ign not on so I can't leave it in place.

Conclusion--all is as good as I can hope for till covid lockdowns are gone.

Thanks for the assists (y)

this is my problem with my Viofo a129a hardwired into my 2014.5 Camry Hybrid. it drains the 12V AGM battery in 3 or 4 days. The cutoff voltage thing doesn't seem to help. I don't have the electrical equipment to test and design something to stop this. I have already replaced a bad dashcam cable that had problems. Camera is about 2.5 years old. Camera is a current hog. Need someone to build a small circuit with zener diodes so it cuts off the voltage at maybe 12.4v volts. I see people posting in some forums they built circuits for similar issues but they built in some many options and features they suck more power. Only other option is to put in a regular on-off switch for the power. And just use it, as pulling the power cable is not an option because the cables are not built strong enough to plug and unplug often.

Back