Viofo A119S dash camera reviews

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad

I know I am not great regarding english reviews but I can offer useful information and ideas.
Anybody can post links to reviews in this thread if he wants.

Updates:
Review by TechTronic9000:

Some pictures

A119 lens vs A119S lens comparison.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Looking good - I've just bought a Dahua IP CCTV camera with the IMX290 which I've bought for it's low lux performance which is due to land with me next week.

I noticed the IMX291 in the A119s also looks excellent when you turned off the headlights which means it should be an excellent performer for parking mode type situations :)

Looking good - I've just bought a Dahua IP CCTV camera with the IMX290 which I've bought for it's low lux performance which is due to land with me next week.

I've got an idea for an application of an IMX290 security camera in mind... Marine night-vision. I wonder how it will compare to infrared cameras, like FLIR's: http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Marine/Products/2015_FLIR_Maritime_ENG.pdf

Once you receive your camera, can you post back if it can "see in the dark" better than your eyes? (i.e. see page 26 of the FLIR brochure) .

Don't keep back on English reviews, you doing it fine.

Thanks.:)

Hello. Does anyone have an issue with bad pixels?
My Viofo A119S has 5-7 white pixels. And they sometimes dissapear for 30 minutes or smth like that... Then again - white dots in same places.
And one more thing. The area on the left is very blurry, compairing to the right... Is this my badluck or anyone else has same issues? (Sorry for bad English. Greetings from MOTHER RUSSIA).

hot pixels are normal and can be calibrated out

focus should be good across the lens, make sure the lens is clean

hot pixels are normal and can be calibrated out

focus should be good across the lens, make sure the lens is clean
How can I calibrate them?
I wiped the lens and windshield, they are clean. I want to test camera indoors (maybe video is blurry on sides because of the windshield giving distortion).
Sorry for obvious question, but can the camera be powered by simple powerbank?

powerbank should run it ok

I haven't done calibration on this model so don't know if the function is built in or you need the engmode file to do it, it's quite simple to do though, @viofo will be able to give you the details

It is possible to have sometimes hot pixels if enabling WDR. Check with WDR Off and On if you can see differences.

enjoy,
Mtz

For the blurry lens, double-check that the protective layer of plastic has been removed from the lens.

For the blurry lens, double-check that the protective layer of plastic has been removed from the lens.
Trust me, it is removed ;)
I`ve tested camera indoors. Left side is more blurry than the right side. Optic is clear. I guess it`s hardware problem...2016_1230_110106_059.MP4_snapshot_00.01_[2016.12.31_21.59.20].jpg

Does anyone know on the A119S the Light Sensitivity specs, is it the same as the Dod DVR's which has ISO12800 ?

Once you receive your camera, can you post back if it can "see in the dark" better than your eyes? (i.e. see page 26 of the FLIR brochure) .
Happy new year :)

I'm really impressed with this Sony sensor - it genuinely can see better in the dark than I can (I don't eat my carrots though!)

The sunset was 80 mins ago and it's black outside now.

This is on default settings with IR off and just sat pointing out a window so far from ideal settings:

20170101_172233.jpg

OK, but your image is from a CCTV cam which is expected to be tuned differently from a dashcam. I don't think a CCTV camera have 60FPS.

Look at the sides of this video:

enjoy,
Mtz

This IMX290 supports up to 120fps at 1920x1080 which is crazy - not sure how that would respond in a dashcam though as not sure how many chipsets support that currently.

I can't see specs of how the 290 and 291 compare though.

I'm really impressed with this Sony sensor - it genuinely can see better in the dark than I can (I don't eat my carrots though!)

Thanks for posting the image and description. Very cool sensor!

Happy new year :)

Out of curiosity, what model Dahua camera is it?

Back