VIOFO A119S Dashcam Hot Pixel Repair

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
The supposedly improved low-light Sony IMX291 sensor in the A119S Dashcam continues to receive complainants about Hot Pixel white dots on night time video clips. I was contacted about repair options but first had to verify these white dots were caused by the sensor and not dust trapped in the lens. This video shows excessive Hot Pixels and how to repair / fix / hide most of them. Over-heating of the sensor itself is the likely cause for the increase in Hot Pixels in all A119S Dashcams with the Sony IMX291 sensor.

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist

If you watch my 9 min video you'll note flashing the A119S once with FW v1.7 did NOT repair / fix / hide any of the 10 circled Hot Pixels, it only reduced the white dot intensity. Not until I flash updated the same v1.7 Firmware TWICE did it mask out 6 of the 10 Hot Pixels. Must admit Firmware v1.7 does mask some Hot Pixels but not completely, and the over-sharpened Image Quality is worse than v1.2

the hot pixel calibration is dynamic and happens on the fly, reflashing the firmware multiple times is irrelevant

Good info for the most part. I would however suggest that NO ONE swap around the lens module as shown unless they have a clean room or lab conditions. Doing so WILL introduce dust into the optical path creating possibly an even worse condition.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I wanna chime in to say that 1.7 got rid of mine. I had a pretty bad case of the pixels too.

Not that it hasn't for some. I know of others who still have it with the newest FW. Which is why I believe it's hardware quality control related. Some sensors are gonna be worse than others. Much like how many 119S cams never had the issue in the first place.

But I wouldn't discount the 1.7 calibration if it didn't work for you. It has for others. But your video is another great option for those who are still affected. I also hope people don't go around thinking that 1.7 is the magic fix all. Obviously it's not for some haha.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. Thanks for this tutorial though!

VIOFO finally released the A119S Dashcam Firmware v1.7 Update which includes Hot Pixel Remapping function. All A119S Dashcams have white dots appearing in night recordings. The v1.7 Update dynamically remaps the Sony 2MP IMX291 Exmor sensor video defects reducing the white dots. This improves night recording quality but is negated by the over-sharpening Image Quality tweak. Why release a firmware update which improves night video quality and at the same time destroys daytime quality by over-sharpening?
A119S Hot Pixel TIP
Since FW v1.7 dynamically remaps weekly/monthly it can be forced to Remap by advancing Time Setting by one month then powering OFF then ON then restore time. Perform this Remap Tip at night for best results.
Hot Pixels are caused by contaminants getting into the Sony sensor during production or by radiation damage to the CCD sensor.

Update to the new 1.7 firmware that has auto pixel calibration enabled. (problem solved)
viofo.com click support
never had a pixel problem even before the upgrade. And no over-sharpening issue at all

never had a pixel problem even before the upgrade. And no over-sharpening issue at all
Strange.AFTER UPDATING the firmware on my camera A119C V2 I noticed the same phenomena:eek:ver-sharpening and the colors are 2 tones at least less saturated as before.Viofo says it has nothing to do with the firmware,but I noticed exactly the opposite...

Strange.AFTER UPDATING the firmware on my camera A119C V2 I noticed the same phenomena:eek:ver-sharpening and the colors are 2 tones at least less saturated as before.Viofo says it has nothing to do with the firmware,but I noticed exactly the opposite...

did you reset defaults after updating?

You still should do a factory reset to clear out anything remaining after a dashcam firmware update.

Well sir,according to VIOFO,after firmware update,the card will be erased and a factory reset will be performed before power on.That is what VIOFO says.and if many users here have the same complaints,that is why I am pritty sure it has to do with the firmware content.The same was true with the YI dashcam.Wanted to throw them away,but downgrading the firmware to a very old one solved the problem and I can still use the cameras.

I read the new A119S beta 2.x firmware (on another thread, newer than 1.7 release) had the best results. Did you try that one?

My camera is an A119C V2 but I see that the phenomena of altering the image quality is an issue that occoured after firmware update on both models.The 2.06(on A119C V2) has not this issue ,it has a crisp crystal clear beautiful image.

My camera is an A119C V2 but I see that the phenomena of altering the image quality is an issue that occoured after firmware update on both models.The 2.06(on A119C V2) has not this issue ,it has a crisp crystal clear beautiful image.

Did you report it in the A119 section? This is an A119S thread. I'm not familiar with A119C (so such model)

Last edited:
119S is the same girl with another bikini I suppose...
Anyway,from what I saw here and from many You Tube rewiews,it is not worth the money extra.

They are different sensors. A119S uses a Sony IMX291 CMOS sensor. A119 doesn't have a Sony sensor. IQ tuning and Hot Pixel auto calibration is different

And the image quality suppose to be better but it is not.At least not to make me pay 40 usd extra just for the sensor and lens,which buy the way are too narrow according to many users.If I can not see the pillars of the car on the video,how I suppose to see the lights colour on a high pole right to me?

Back