Created new A119S - Stable Vivid Colour version 6Vj
View ChangeLog > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html
This new Public Stable 26Mbps MOD uses tighter Sharpness 3 level range with Soft reduced for Lens2 owners.
Based on newest FW4.03 disabled the Bitrate Menu option to override 15/20/24Mbs values now 60fps & 30fps are 26Mbps.
Need confirmation Sharpness is acceptable especially on Lens2, roll the Dice on this one, if your Lens focus matches these adjustments the resulting image is amazing, good luck!
Special thanks to @gse @vvs49

FWA119S_MOD-6Vj_v4.03+26Mbs+Sharp506070C+Sharp160B+DCTeam.bin
Download 6Vj > https://drive.google.com/open?id=10jF-MyrljmSp-uYP1BzNJtfaYgrpR2tC

---
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/
A119S Review > https://viofo-a119s-dashcam-review.blogspot.com
Dashcam Advice: https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/

DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
Created new A119S - Stable Vivid Colour version 6Vj , See post #1 of thread for details and ChangeLog.
This new Public Stable 26Mbps MOD uses tighter Sharpness 3 level range with Soft reduced for Lens2 owners.
Based on newest FW4.03 disabled the Bitrate Menu option to override 15/20/24Mbs values now 60fps & 30fps are 26Mbps.
Need confirmation Sharpness is acceptable especially on Lens2, roll the Dice on this one. Special thanks to @gse @vvs49

FWA119S_MOD-6Vj_v4.03+26Mbs+Sharp506070C+Sharp160B+DCTeam.bin
Download 6Vj > https://drive.google.com/open?id=10jF-MyrljmSp-uYP1BzNJtfaYgrpR2tC

View attachment 43505
---
DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Here are soft/norma/strong 6Vj_v4.03 files.
It looks like the soft is too soft, it gets "out of focus" very often.
Best quality I got with the strong sharpness.
I would suggest to use the normal sharpness as low, strong as normal, and set a higher value for the strong.

Soft:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hmx1a6vw1s6j58/soft.MP4?dl=0

Normal:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0n6o73ux5rg8rl/normal.MP4?dl=0

Strong:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/notao4h8cz9pvom/strong.MP4?dl=0

Koganiz's soft looks acceptable to me. It's realistic. Less artifacts. Normal isn't too bad either, probably my upper limit. I think this is why Viofo always oversharpens their firmware. Because the casual viewer thinks over sharpening looks better. But if you take the footage to a photography forum, they'll tell you it's unnecessarily over-sharpened. I think over the past posts, I tend to agree with Caerus's eyes and recommendations for the most part. In the end it's all about preference and having the ability to choose and having choices that can accommodate a range of people.

Last edited:
The built in lens is also a big factor.

Another thing to note is that it should always be better to be slightly under-sharpened than over-sharpened. Say if you are looking at footage and you need to clarify a license plate by sharpening it a bit, it can be done easily via post processing programs. However if an image is already over-sharpened, programs cannot do the reverse easily and desharpen to bring anything back. The image is already skewed by the artifacts and halos from over-sharpening creating a noisy jumbled pixels. Reduction of artifacts and halos is the most important.

Another thing to note is that it should always be better to be slightly under-sharpened than over-sharpened. Say if you are looking at footage and you need to clarify a license plate by sharpening it a bit, it can be done easily via post processing programs. However if an image is already over-sharpened, programs cannot do the reverse easily and desharpen to bring anything back. The image is already skewed by the artifacts and halos from over-sharpening creating a noisy jumbled pixels. Reduction of artifacts and halos is the most important.
Great point and why on Aug 5, 2018 decided to create modified firmware to reduce VIOFO's horrible sharpness for the last 2 years in favour of realistic image quality. Many are not aware but my Stable MOD 6Vj is the template and not all the adjustments to it are listed on changelog, only a few of us know what v1.01 really does. There are a few 'easter-eggs' in 6Vj . . . . . Sharpness Low's tighter level range (closer to normal than VIOFO uses) is one of them.

Here are soft/norma/strong 6Vj_v4.03 files.
It looks like the soft is too soft, it gets "out of focus" very often.
Best quality I got with the strong sharpness.
I would suggest to use the normal sharpness as low, strong as normal, and set a higher value for the strong.

Soft:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hmx1a6vw1s6j58/soft.MP4?dl=0

Normal:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0n6o73ux5rg8rl/normal.MP4?dl=0

Strong:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/notao4h8cz9pvom/strong.MP4?dl=0
Thanks for the A119S 6Vj footage, your observations are correct this MOD is softer in all 3 levels, sharing these clips is extremely useful for everyone especially when its raining in Vancouver again. There are many differences due to base FW v4.03 IQ table adjustments VIOFO made between 4.02 & 4.03, the major one being colour saturation. The most important adjustment Sharpness, you have detected and this is great news to all End Users since my Sharpness values didn't change from v4.02 6Vg-h but in the footage sharpness has dropped noticeably. Conclusion, since I didn't change it VIOFO has, and they are finally lowering overall Sharpness in their official firmware. This is excellent news going forward, very good to see.

Totally agree with what @Jook said above; still, looking for getting the same 'crispness' sensation as given by watching with naked eyes, one must accept a certain (very small) amount of over-sharpening artefacts. Removing all edge and compression artefacts gives dull, life-less images. Only the author of the footage can say which one looks closer to reality.

I am thinking that we may need only 2 different sharpness settings instead of 3, since there are only two types of lenses. Or maybe, two different FWs, with sharpness perfectly adjusted for the 2 lenses (and not user selectable).

Dadi-T,
I agree the shot you are showing does have some blur in to. Bummer you had to search over 5 hours for this shot.

Totally agree with what @Jook said above; still, looking for getting the same 'crispness' sensation as given by watching with naked eyes, one must accept a certain (very small) amount of over-sharpening artefacts. Removing all edge and compression artefacts gives dull, life-less images. Only the author of the footage can say which one looks closer to reality.

I am thinking that we may need only 2 different sharpness settings instead of 3, since there are only two types of lenses. Or maybe, two different FWs, with sharpness perfectly adjusted for the 2 lenses (and not user selectable).
For some other VIOFO camera models I've also considered creating/maintaining specific MODs to match Lens but the issue is wider when considering range in Lens Focus. The 'crisp' image is when your Lens matches the sharpness value perfectly but chances are it won't be the same for all. So your idea to create Lens specific MODs will probably occur but with 3 levels as we have now (for focus variation especially in HOT regions).

MOD-6Vj was created to show how much VIOFO has changed the baseline IQ (roll-the-dice). Everyone should do a static 1min video of a textured wall using 6Vh the 6Vj the difference is noticeable. For now downgrade to 6Vg or 6Vh, they have my best work inside. As usual post your assessments and preferences to guide future adjustments.
I want to see more Christmas Light videos!

Dadi-T,
I agree the shot you are showing does have some blur in to. Bummer you had to search over 5 hours for this shot.
All cloudy day footage will have motion blurring as DVR automatically increases Exposure level which combines frames to brighten image. Sharpness is another matter unrelated. As I stated earlier you Roll-the-Dice on 6Vj because its a Demo to reveal how much VIOFO has lowered the baseline sharpness of their firmware and is great news for everyone using stock firmware.
The DCTeam always pushes for BEST image quality all these observations are excellent and 100% correct, you all have a good eye for IQ assessment.
6Vj was only a Stable Test for VIOFO's new GAMMA_LUT profile. This of course means more Beta testing to determine the best sharpness levels all over again.

For now, everyone unhappy with 6Vj quality simply downgrade to regular 6Vg or vivid 6Vh for maximum quality.

After all DCTeam downgrade to 6Vg or h need some help to verify issue discovered in A129 threads.
Seeking confirmation A119S Parking Mode still works as expected when selecting 5fps using either Hardwire Kit or Power Bank.
Verify MP4 file name has "P" tag and what bitrate is shown on properties.
thanks

Rolling the dice with 6Vj has kind of produced some amazing results with my lens.

1080p@30fps + CPL + Lens 2 + WDR off + 60Hz + Soft Sharpness

6Vj - Daytime Noon
6Vj - Daytime Noon 2
6Vj - Daytime Parking Lot
Don't worry about some of the cars looking blown out, like the white Mazda. That's exactly how it was when I was driving. Noon is more like 4-5pm given Winnipeg/this time of year. The sun is at a decent angle behind me which is basically like just driving around burning your retinas with reflections.

6Vj - Direct Sunlight
The ability to still pick up that much detail and traffic all the way in the distance with the sun directly in front is pretty impressive.

6Vj - Traffic
Again all of the finer detail is there. The cars, pylons, pavement, tanker train, etc. All clear and mostly in focus for not being in ideal lighting conditions. The slight blur is still there when you pause the video, but that's expected given the reduced light.

6Vj - Night Parking Lot
I think this compares well to 6Nv, as I think that was the MOD that had the best night video out of any other. There is very little static/fuzz in the picture. For example, the black of the night sky is literally just black. There is no fuzziness, or grain in it. The night video is pretty clear.

I think 6Vj might be the clearest picture that my A119S has had since using FW with 27/27.5mbps bitrate. I think this is even more vivid than 6Vh was on my lens as well. I'm surprised that there's still so much detail with this amount of colour and saturation. Other FW I believe have had a cleaner picture, but not this clear. If that made any sense. I don't think soft sharpness should be changed, it may reduce the jagged edges and clean up some of the rough edges, but I think it will affect the clarity. Unless this is a gamma thing, which flies over my head, but I did try normal sharpness and the picture was already negatively affected.

I think for me, this FW is daily driver material.

BONUS:
6Vj - Car Walk
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need road.
6Vh - Too close...
Set your damn mirrors properly and pay attention to my honking.

Last edited:
Rolling the dice with 6Vj has kind of produced some amazing results with my lens.

6Vj - Daytime Noon
6Vj - Daytime Noon 2
Don't worry about some of the cars looking blown out, like the white Mazda. That's exactly how it was when I was driving. Noon is more like 4-5pm given Winnipeg/this time of year. The sun is at a decent angle behind me which is basically like just driving around burning your retinas with reflections.

6Vj - Direct Sunlight
The ability to still pick up that much detail and traffic all the way in the distance with the sun directly in front is pretty impressive.

6Vj - Traffic
Again all of the finer detail is there. The cars, pylons, pavement, tanker train, etc. All clear and mostly in focus for not being in ideal lighting conditions. The slight blur is still there when you pause the video, but that's expected given the reduced light.

6Vj - Night Parking Lot
I think this compares well to 6Nv, as I think that was the MOD that had the best night video out of any other. There is very little static/fuzz in the picture. For example, the black of the night sky is literally just black. There is no fuzziness, or grain in it. The night video is pretty clear.

I think 6Vj might be the clearest picture that my A119S has had since using FW with 27/27.5mbps bitrate. I think this is even more vivid than 6Vh was on my lens as well. I'm surprised that there's still so much detail with this amount of colour and saturation. Other FW I believe have had a cleaner picture, but not this clear. If that made any sense. I don't think soft sharpness should be changed, it may reduce the jagged edges and clean up some of the rough edges, but I think it will affect the clarity. Unless this is a gamma thing, which flies over my head, but I did try normal sharpness and the picture was already negatively affected.

BONUS:
6Vj - Car Walk
6Vh - Too close...
Thanks for the 6Vj fantastic frozen footage! Perfect example of different image quality using the same Firmware on two different Lenses from the same Dashcam model. This is what has caused so much delay for my own modified firmware development. Your A119S Lens2 works amazing well with 6Vj at Soft Sharpness. Didn't see any IQ issues needing adjustment. The setting Sun "too close" collision clip using 6Vh really has nice colour. I didn't know they changed the traffic laws in your city to allow cars to drive on narrow sidewalks, very handy with no Stop signs.
Looks like you Rolled-the-Dice and WON big on this one. (you realize 6Vj was created from your suggested 6Vh adjustments, it was always meant for your Lens with the missing 2 screws)
You've also confirmed @dacbuc 's comment about "Or maybe, two different FWs, with sharpness perfectly adjusted for the 2 lenses (and not user selectable)" Firmware IQ is a balancing act, hopefully everyone will find that perfect quality.

Superb! Probably as close to perfection as you can get until maybe Viofo release contrast options.

6Vj - Daytime Noon
6Vj - Daytime Noon 2

6Vj - Direct Sunlight

6Vj - Traffic

6Vj - Night Parking Lot

BONUS:
6Vj - Car Walk
6Vh - Too close...

Great footage and examples of how it all comes together.
Thanks

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just installed my first dash cam. I think I've got a lens1 version of the A119SV2. I generally like to get the best out of my "toys" so try to learn all about them.
Rolled the dice on 6Vj mod. Not sure how useful my clips will be but I'm also just experimenting with viewing, editing, uploading etc. dash cam files.

1080p@60fps, no CPL (yet), high bitrate and I think everything else was "default" i.e normal sharpness. Weather was very wet...

I'm interested in feedback on how you think the footage looks. Enjoy the big splash in the first few seconds of the Very wet clip.

Cheers, Gene

Very wet
After the rain

Back