Viofo A119S Official Beta firmware

And that sir therein lies the problem... Do a quick test with WDR off and let me know if you get the same result as I've been having. Make sure you reboot the camera after you change the setting or it typically will keep working how it did before.
I'm still unclear as to what symptoms other than some beeping, that you are seeing which lead you to believe that the G-sensor "High Sensitivity" menu that reset during a parking period did not reset back to the original user setting after Normal recording resumed.

But anyhow, ran several tests with WDR ON and OFF, rebooting between tests to determine if WDR affects Parking Mode.
  1. First confirmed the user original G-sensor setting set to LOW.
  2. Then switched WDR to either On or OFF and rebooted the camera by pulling power several seconds then reconnecting.
  3. Then induced a simulated parking period where both the Standby and Time-lapse sub-modes engaged twice during each test.
  4. Then picked up the camera to initiate a G-sensor restart of Normal recording.
  5. Then at 65 seconds on the camera elapsed time counter, stopped recording by pressing the REC button and pressed the Menu button to enter the menu.
  6. Proceeded to the G-sensor menu setting and checked the setting and noted the result.
  7. Reset the G-sensor menu setting to "Low Sensitivity" if needed in preparation for the next test.
  8. Switched the WDR setting.
  9. Rebooted the camera by pulling power several seconds, then re-connecting.
  10. Repeated steps 3 through 9 for the opposite WDR setting until finished testing.
Conclusion:
In all cases, Parking Mode engaged Standby/Time-lapse sub-modes properly and a check of the G-sensor menu setting 65 seconds after the resumption of Normal recording indicated that the G-sensor setting had switched back from "High Sensitivity" to the my original setting. IMO, switching WDR on and off alone does not cause any Parking Mode problems.

This doesn't say that problems experienced in the previous 2 days by me at times being unable to force Parking Mode into the Standby/Time-lapse sub-modes or the problems @TCK81 is seeing should be dismissed, but its difficult for Viofo to fix a problem that you can not reliably reproduce.
{Edit: Post test FINDING: The cover-the-lens technique does not work for my A119S. Covering the lens or pointing the camera at a bland featureless object that fills the FOV will perpetuate Normal recording indefinitely. Place the still A119S where it views a static scene, even very dimly lit, that has some features and contrast, and it will consistently slip into the Standby mode right on time, in about 90 seconds. Further testing indicates the G-sensor resets to the User's original setting 60 seconds after the resumption of Normal recording.}

I had changed some of my settings so I will list all here, Red indicates values not default:

Resolution: 1920x1080P 60fps
Loop Recording: 2 Minutes
Video Format: TS
Exposure: +0.0
WDR: ON or OFF - subject of the test. Normally ON.
Sharpness: Normal
Parking Mode: 5fps
Time-Lapse Recording: OFF
Motion Detection: OFF
GPS ON: ON but no mount attached this test, used one some yesterday.
Speed Unit: MPH
G-sensor: "Low Sensitivity" for this test only. Normally default "Middle Sensitivity".
LDWS: OFF
FCWS: OFF
Date Stamp: ON
GPS Info Stamp: All Info
Camera Model Stamp: ON
Record Audio: ON
Screensaver: OFF for test. 15 seconds normally.
Boot Delay: 5 Seconds
LED: ON
Date/Time: Set by GPS, maintained by RTC.
Time Zone: GMT-7 (PDT)
Language: English
Beep Sound: All ON
Frequency: 60 Hz
Image Rotation: OFF
Format: (a command)
Format Warning: 30 Days
Default Setting: (a command)
Car Number: 1080P60 D1 (resolution and lens pointing elevation angle in clicks)
Custom Text Stamp: NCPL B4.02 (no cpl and firmware version)
Firmware Version: A119S_180903_B4.02

Is it better to not change G-sensor sensitive level for parking mode?
I pretty much agree with the detection levels you have in place now. But it seems possible, and seems like you already do it, to detect multiple levels of G-sensor activity by having the code go check the G-sensor level(s) for each particular comparison need. Seems that this can be and is done for different purposes now such as normal G-sensor event recordings level, a parked car detection level, and a parked car bumped event recording detection level). Seems like this could be done without changing the User's G-sensor menu setting whose primary purpose is for crash detection event recordings while driving. Perhaps not easy to implement and even then you may still get problem reports for users not happy with the various individual detection levels, but then they can't blame it on the G-sensor menu setting being changed by the firmware.

More easy to test the G-Sensor state could be if its actual level setting could be printed on the video image for the beta firmwares.
Excellent idea if changing menu setting method is maintained. I already use the Car Number and Customized text stamp to tell myself settings and other info in use during the recording.

Last edited:
I'm still unclear as to what symptoms other than some beeping, that you are seeing which lead you to believe that the G-sensor "High Sensitivity" menu reset during a parking period did not reset back to the original user setting after Normal recording resumed.
After camera booting up then parking I'm getting excessive beeping with the yellow exclamation on the screen when hitting a small bump that shouldn't trigger the g-sensor on the low setting with corresponding event files in the RO folder due to the g-sensor trigger. This lead me to look into the menu to see the setting on high when I set it on low.

I was able to replicate my findings so I thought it was solved but you're not having the problem. I decided to redownload/reflash the firmware in case something went awry and so far I'm not having the problem on the bench.

After camera booting up then parking I'm getting excessive beeping with the yellow exclamation on the screen when hitting a small bump that shouldn't trigger the g-sensor on the low setting with corresponding event files in the RO folder due to the g-sensor trigger. This lead me to look into the menu to see the setting on high when I set it on low.

I was able to replicate my findings so I thought it was solved but you're not having the problem. I decided to redownload/reflash the firmware in case something went awry and so far I'm not having the problem on the bench.
If it happens again anytime after a couple of minutes of resuming Normal recording after a parking period, at next opportunity to do so safely, reset the GPS menu setting to "Low Sensitivity". Use the "!" emergency/confirm button to confirm your selection and exit, then check it again to be sure it took. If you are just checking the setting but don't want to change the original user setting {Edit: which is not displayed until the firmware restores it after a parking period ends}, use the Menu button to exit the selection. Also report any new occurrence as there still may be a problem lurking out there, regardless of my findings.

Conclusion:
…. This doesn't say that problems experienced in the previous 2 days by me at times being unable to force Parking Mode into the Standby/Time-lapse sub-modes or the problems @TCK81 is seeing should be dismissed, but its difficult for Viofo to fix a problem that you can not reliably reproduce. Will keep looking.
Done looking.

The FINDING: The reason for the difficulty in forcing the A119S Parking Mode into the Standby/Time-lapse sub-modes at times was that ... o_O … the cover-the-lens technique does not work for my A119S as it did for the A119, probably because of the different sensor. At least for my A119S, covering the lens or pointing the camera at a bland featureless object that fills the FOV will perpetuate Normal recording indefinitely. Place the still A119S where it views a static scene, even very dimly lit, that has some features and contrast, and it will consistently slip into the Standby mode right on time, in about 90 seconds.

Webp.net-resizeimage.gif
I like the WDR improvements at night. The winter is coming and more night tests are possible.

WDR On/WDR Off
wdr on 22.jpgwdr off 22.jpgwdr on 33.jpgwdr off 33.jpg
wdr on 11.jpg
wdr off 11.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 42119
I like the WDR improvements at night. The winter is coming and more night tests are possible.

WDR On/WDR Off
View attachment 42120View attachment 42121View attachment 42122View attachment 42123
View attachment 42124
View attachment 42125
Inspired by your comparison I turned mt WDR on, it's very impressive, dark rainy night looked much brighter. It's affecting a bit day light image quality, but not too bad. I think I'll leave it turned on from now on.

9:30 PM, totally dark street, rain... It looks much brighter then it is in real life. (It's not original beta, it's 6 Nk MOD with brightness 55, CPL off)

1538190097507.png

Last edited:
A119S Parking Mode tidbit. Have finally concluded what the algorithm is that is used to switch the G-sensor back from "High Sensitivity" to the User's original setting after a parking period ends. The algorithm is simply:
  • Time to return to User's original menu setting = resumption of Normal recording + 60 seconds. :D
The following comments apply:
  • The A119S was bench tested with beta firmware version A119S_180903_B4.02.
  • A parking period is defined here as a period when Parking Mode initiates a Standby Mode/Time-lapse recording cycle during which the G-sensor menu setting is reset by the firmware to "High Sensitivity".
  • The parking period was ended by picking up the camera, causing the G-sensor to switch to the camera to Normal recording mode.
  • The LCD screen elapsed time display was used to determine when to check the G-sensor menu setting.
  • I suspect that this algorithm is applicable to all previous A119S firmware versions to date.
{Edit: Subsequently tested to also be correct for my A119 camera running Firmware version 4.00.}

Last edited:
Inspired by your comparison I turned mt WDR on, it's very impressive, dark rainy night looked much brighter. It's affecting a bit day light image quality, but not too bad. I think I'll leave it turned on from now on.

9:30 PM, totally dark street, rain... It looks much brighter then it is in real life. (It's not original beta, it's 6 Nk MOD with brightness 55, CPL off)

View attachment 42131
Rainy nights are very difficult for all cameras but A119S performs very very good with WDR on.
Also in my opinion the WDR should stay on at night.
I am wondering if the hardware can support automatically change of the WDR. Something like that:
WDR On: 5 pm to 7 am (17 to 7)
WDR Off: 7 am to 5 pm (7 to 17)

Based only to internal clock of the camera.

Rainy nights are very difficult for all cameras but A119S performs very very good with WDR on.
Also in my opinion the WDR should stay on at night.
I am wondering if the hardware can support automatically change of the WDR. Something like that:
WDR On: 5 pm to 7 am (17 to 7)
WDR Off: 7 am to 5 pm (7 to 17)

Based only to internal clock of the camera.
5 years ago Innovv implemented this based on my request, not as WDR enabling but as adding more brightness and I was calling it ABN:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/innovv-amazing-feature-auto-bright-night.3505/

enjoy,
Mtz

5 years ago Innovv implemented this based on my request, not as WDR enabling but as adding more brightness and I was calling it ABN:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/innovv-amazing-feature-auto-bright-night.3505/

it's a very good idea in general. I would add a "CPL = Present" and "Tint = 80%" (or whatever it is on your rear window) in the settings to let the camera know how much more brightness should be added to the picture, assuming the CPL set at "?? degrees" (the darkest side counter clockwise).

Reactions: Mtz
If will be some setting like CPL = ON/Off or Tint = On/Off, always will exist users not satisfied by the settings so is better each user to set its own EV (brightness). This setting is a one time setting and is not taking much time. I consider actual setting of Viofo is supporting very well the CPL lens. I don't know about tinted windows.

The problem when adding brightness (or WDR) can be reading license plates during night. Looking at some video comparisons I see dashcams which offer more details on the left and right of the road but the car license numbers are too bright and harder to read compared to a darker dashcam.
For advertising/marketing and sales, is better to have brighter images during night but this is not always a win situation. Most of the cameras are recording OK during day in good light conditions so user is paying more money to have good images during night.

enjoy,
Mtz

If will be some setting like CPL = ON/Off or Tint = On/Off, always will exist users not satisfied by the settings so is better each user to set its own EV (brightness). This setting is a one time setting and is not taking much time. I consider actual setting of Viofo is supporting very well the CPL lens. I don't know about tinted windows.
I have a rear factory tinted window (I promise to make pictures). I googled a number of times to find out how much light my rear window tint allows to get through on my 2 years old Juke and I didn't find that info. but according to wikipedia that tint could block up to 85% of incoming light and that's before a CPL filter blocks more light. that's a lot. there is not enough EV setting to compensate it. and you have no beam lights on the back of you car. what's worse there might be a car behind your car with the headlights on and that's all you could see, or in other words - nothing.

FWIW, have noticed that when checking menu settings and confirming the settings for LDWS and FCWS (which were already set to OFF) , it changes my Resolution menu setting from 1080P60 to 1080P30. Using the Menu button to exit these settings does not change the resolution. Never noticed such behavior in previous A119S firmware versions.

FWIW, have noticed that when checking menu settings and confirming the settings for LDWS and FCWS (which were already set to OFF) , it changes my Resolution menu setting from 1080P60 to 1080P30. Using the Menu button to exit these settings does not change the resolution. Never noticed such behavior in previous A119S firmware versions.
I noticed the resolution changing too but didn't say anything as I couldn't pinpoint why it happened. I think it changed on me without entering into the LDWS or FCWS menu.

I have a rear factory tinted window (I promise to make pictures).
@Mtz here is a picture, rear A119 + CPL (45 degrees + ~80 degrees counter clockwise) + factory tinted window, 7pm (sunset at 6.33pm, the sky is still dark blue), after a short rain, = "perfect" low light conditions. let me know, if you can see anything:

2018_1004_185840_003.TS_20181004_192241.562.jpg

smile3.gif

I promise to make more pictures.

one more picture from a front A119 Pro (stationary) at about the same time, A119 Pro = no CPL, WDR Off:

2018_1004_185841_006.MP4_20181004_192453.625.jpg

and the sky still blue.
smile3.gif

Last edited:
Back