VIOFO A119S stopped working

pabula

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi
I was using this cam with GPS for several days and suddenly the cam stopped working.
It reset the date from 17.03.2017 to 08.12.2016 and was recording for 1 more day.
Now it is not recording. Only shows what the cam sees and the date is working.
On the screen I see 11 black crossed boxes and no buttons are working.
I can't access menu and I can't switch it off (only by unplugging)
I tried to use different SD - no changes.
I tried to update firmware - it didn't update (FWBA119.bin) was not deleted.
Blue MASS STORAGE screen is showing when I plug the cam to the computer.
Any help?

Attachments

• 2017-03-19 14.07.15.jpg
    2017-03-19 14.07.15.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi
I was using this cam with GPS for several days and suddenly the cam stopped working.
It reset the date from 17.03.2017 to 08.12.2016 and was recording for 1 more day.
Now it is not recording. Only shows what the cam sees and the date is working.
On the screen I see 11 black crossed boxes and no buttons are working.
I can't access menu and I can't switch it off (only by unplugging)
I tried to use different SD - no changes.
I tried to update firmware - it didn't update (FWBA119.bin) was not deleted.
Blue MASS STORAGE screen is showing when I plug the cam to the computer.
Any help?
Just do a firmware install and then do a default setting and optional reset it (stick a paper clip into the hole on the side of camera) This should do the fix, if not Maybe GPS Module is defective. Maybe Jokiin will be here soon he will have better advice Are you sure you used the A119S firmware and not A119?

Last edited:
this part is normal.
Yes normal it is, never understood what to do when the mass message shows up.... other than not connecting it to the pc and just connect it to a electric connection.

Dooh!
Thank you. I was using A119 files.
After downloading A119S firmware, it is working.
Will see if GPS is working when I'm back in the car later today.
Thanks again.
Any ideas what could cause this malfunction?
The only thing I"ve changed is that I have started using 64GB SD card.

Dooh!
Thank you. I was using A119 files.
After downloading A119S firmware, it is working.
Will see if GPS is working when I'm back in the car later today.
Thanks again.
Any ideas what could cause this malfunction?
The only thing I"ve changed is that I have started using 64GB SD card.
This was an issue that appeared in a cluster about a month or so ago. Reinstalling the firmware seemed to always fix it. Not aware of anyone having the issue a second time.

Yes normal it is, never understood what to do when the mass message shows up.... other than not connecting it to the pc and just connect it to a electric connection.
:) you can view the video recorded on SD card by connecting the camera with the card in it to your computer and see your video on a BIG screen. in this case you'll see on a camera "Mass Storage" message to let you know that the camera is not recording but you can view the video. USB ports on a computer have "data+power" connection. if you connect a camera to a computer using a cable "no data, power only" (you can find one on Amazon) then your camera will start recording right away as it gets the power and you'll not be able to view the video already recorded on a camera even if you stop recording. :eek:
:) you can do the same thing if you keep the camera in a car and just bring the SD card and use the USB adapter / reader to view the video on your PC screen.
("Mass Storage" devices are: hard drives, CDs, DVDs etc.)

Last edited:
:) you can view the video recorded on SD card by connecting the camera with the card in it to your computer and see your video on a BIG screen. in this case you'll see on a camera "Mass Storage" message to let you know that the camera is not recording but you can view the video. USB ports on a computer have "data+power" connection. if you connect a camera to a computer using a cable "no data, power only" (you can find one on Amazon) then your camera will start recording right away as it gets the power and you'll not be able to view the video already recorded on a camera even if you stop recording. :eek:
:) you can do the same thing if you keep the camera in a car and just bring the SD card and use the USB adapter / reader to view the video on your PC screen.
("Mass Storage" devices are: hard drives, CDs, DVDs etc.)
Thanks for the information, because I never understood blue mass before:)

This issue has been reported already with v1.0.0 and 1.0.1 firmware. I experienced this issue too
Flashing with newer FW did the job.
However today my A119S has been stalled again. The same symptoms: crossed boxes. recording button lit, screen saver not working, device doesn't response on pressing any button. But this time recording icon is not shown.
It shows alert while removing a card. But after inserting again it returns to non-responsing mode.

Reflashing FW (v1.2 over 1.2) did the job. But guys... it's unacceptable.
Viofo, please comment this issue.

While camera is stalled already? Yes, I've done this test. But camera dodn't react on removing card. It did show 'no card' while I powered up the cam while no card inserted.

I believe it cannot stall more, while stalled already.
However it got stalled without reason. Yesterday it was working. Today appeared non-functional.

BTW even if you are right, device shouldn't stuck non-functional requiring re-flashing.

Last edited:
Funny :)
I had the same problem, V1.01.
I never ever removed the SD card from the camera so far, the cam actually stopped working 2 days ago.
The videos since then are 9 seconds with pink bar in the bottom. and only 2 videos recorded in the last 2 days.

I was afraid to do FW upgrade to 1.2 because if something in the memory is messed, the FW update might brick the cam
But I took my chances because, well, I have nothing to lose. and its fixed.

And I taught its only me.

I was afraid to do FW upgrade to 1.2 because if something in the memory is messed, the FW update might brick the cam

I'm a bit confused on why you would be afraid a FW upgrade would damage your camera even more.
But I'm glad it worked out for you.

I'm a bit confused on why you would be afraid a FW upgrade would damage your camera even more.
But I'm glad it worked out for you.
I think he was worried the memory card might be bad and didn't want to use that card to do the update.

Not exactly.
I taught that the camera RAM (or whatever it called that store the FW) is damaged for some reason
and trying to write new FW might brick it totally

But i'm glad I was wrong

Funny :)
I had the same problem, V1.01.
I never ever removed the SD card from the camera so far, the cam actually stopped working 2 days ago.
The videos since then are 9 seconds with pink bar in the bottom. and only 2 videos recorded in the last 2 days.

oy vey:)

Back