Viofo A119s strange night video. Suggestion is needed.

Roman66

Reaction score
Country
United States
Viofo A119s with CPL, maximum resolution 1920x1080/60fps. New formatted by camera 64Gb SanDisk card UHS-1 (also tried Toshiba HC-1, Class 10).
1. Drive was about 10 minutes, all drive was captured in 5 seconds video. Windows Property-Details shows as 1920x1080/30fps
2. Very bright light around the street lights and car signals
After I changed resolution to 1920x1080/30fps, captured few seconds and change it back to 1920x1080/60fps, #1 was solved.
I don't know how to reproduce it, but it is second time when I meet #1 issue. Just first time I was learning camera and was sure that it was my fault.
Suggestions ? Recommendations ?

looks like you have time lapse on
halo effect around lights generally means your window isn't clean
I can't check it right now because I don't remember what I did before issue #1 happened, but you guess sounds very logical.
Probably I turned On Time Lapse option as part of playing with camera.
Regarding window cleaning: it looks not so dirty, I will do tomorrow night the test again after will clean front window accurate.
Thank you very much for suggestions.

Rechecked last night. #1 looks you was absolutely right and "time lapse " was ON by mistake. No issue now
I tried gently clean both window sides, but halo effect around lights still exists (see link below), maybe not so strong.
I saw mostly the same effect on night videos from other people, so looks it is maximum that camera can do and I definitely understand that $100 camera can't reach quality of $2.000 lens.
Now I more worry about reflection, which I still have on top right side of the picture. You can see on link below my car panel on the picture.
I understood (from Amazon dealer) that CPL in this model is not movable/turn-able and already setup correct to prevent reflect effect. Looks not 100%. Probably I will need to return CPL, as no reason to keep it I think.

better to see how you go on a sunny day with/without the CPL before you decide to send it back

better to see how you go on a sunny day with/without the CPL before you decide to send it back
Sorry, I was too hot to say about return.....
Of cause I will do some additional tests.

You can try to set up cpl by rotating filter glass alone to find a sweet spot. But I would't expect removing 100% of reflections

Last edited:
The easy way is just take the CPL off the camera while you're sat in the car and look through it as the camera would.

On mine it was set correctly and you could easily see reflections minimised with it in the central position

I didn't find easy way how to rotate CPL and each time check result, because reflections are not visible on small camera screen, only on computer.
Second - I was told by Viofo dealer that filter already set on best position and I only need to connect it correct (long open side up) .
Actually I see small improvement from adding filter.
From my point of view : improvement is not good enough to buy new one if you don't have filter, but not so bad to return it if you already ordered :)

Yes vifo now have preset CPL filters just like SG have for their dashcams, so there should be no need to turn the CPL filter.

I think there is 2 slits on the CPL filter wherein the CPL glas sit, the larger of them is supposed to be the upper one when installed on the camera, at least thats how it use to be.
Not sure if you put it in the other way around and so having the CPL turned 180 degrees will make the result be any different.
but the large slit dow may result in the CPL glass trying to work itself out that way helped by gravity.

CPL dont kill off every reflection in the windscreen, but it should take care of the worst of them.

CPL dont kill off every reflection in the windscreen, but it should take care of the worst of them.
Please see around 2:30 . Is it worst ? My telephone and my car dashboard.

Yeah thats a extreme, you will see sort of the same with a white pice of paper on the dashbord in daylight.

AS you can see in the pics here
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/differences-between-sg9665gc-v2-and-v3.25847/#post-303937

You can verify the CPL function by holding it up in front of a LCD screen and look thru it, if it is oriented correctly then you can see thru it, if it is 90 degrees off it will black out the LCD screen, and off course if it black out a little in either orientation it might be that your CPL glass is a little off from the factory.

But for the general orientation test of CPL filter i think the LCD screen is a okay tool.

I am not sure if the glass is secured in the Vifo filters, but if it isent you can try and turn it a little while installed, but it is a pain to determine when you are dead on on a little dashcam screen.

I just put my new sort of DIY phone holder in my car today, but it is mounted off the driver side door as i have a little glass on the front of the door that is fixed in place.
But i have yet to see how it work with my cameras as i have not gotten the phone yet, but i have faith in my project, or i will say "an inclined plane wrapped in a spiral around a cylinder post" it :D
And make do with what i got by then.

Something tell me i will be tearing a lot into my dashbord and whats below it, and my A pillars, and my headliner in the time to come.

Back