Viofo A129 - Are You Getting Single-Beeps While Driving?

Hey Joe, no I haven't had any single/double beeps (cutting videos short) since I changed cards. As I mentioned before, as a precaution I ordered my card directly from Samsung online. I didn't want to take the chance of getting a "fake card" on Amazon. It was about $6 more and 3 days slower ordering through Samsung...but to me that was worth knowing I have a legit card.

I know you already have a fast sd card...you're not still getting the beeps are you?

Good :)
I haven't had any issues since I last posted about this. I may have had a problem with the cam causing the beeps rather than the card.
I am running the same card with my replacement dashcam - no issues yet although I've only been running it 1 and 1/2 days.

Hey CaptnEric, nice to see you on the boards!

Question 1 - I don't believe the beep(s) are alerting us that files are being overwritten. I think based on what others have said that the beep(s) are telling us there's something wrong such that the files are being shortened.

Question 2 - Yes, I think everyone should be using a u-3 SD Card... - - BCHobbyist made that point very clear. You need to run an sd card capable of 4k recording (u-3 card) in order to eliminate some of the problems associated with using a slower write speed card. I'm using the Samsung Evo Plus Class 10, u-3 128 gb card.

Question 3 - Based on input from Jokiin, it's definitely good to format your sd card at least once a month and possibly 2 or more times a month. - - Per the above, the beeps are signaling an abnormality with the recording. I've never seen the reminder to reformat, but I assume it will be a written reminder??? - But then again, perhaps there will be beeps as well. - - Unfortunately Viofo has never told us A129 Duo users what any beeps from the dash cam mean.

Your Crystal Disk Mark speeds look similar to what I was getting with my Lexar sd card before switching over to the Samsung card - - too slow! - - You'll definitely want to upgrade. - - BCHobbyist had mentioned that 256gb cards might result in extra heat in the dash cam.... I don't know if there are recommended 256 gb cards but it will be good to hear what others say on this topic. -

Thanks for such detailed and organized research Eric!!! - - Keep us posted on your progress! (y)

Thanks for your quick reply @StrayCam and it's nice to be back on!

Re Question 1: Yeah I kinda had that feeling but the beeps for me starts when my card is full. Which tells me the card can't handle files being overwritten with the new files due to my cards low write speeds. If the card isn't full I don't get the beeps.

Re Question 2: Tbh I thought the Samsung Evo+ 128GB card I'm using was a U3 card. I do have a Samsung 64GB U3 card as well lying around as a spare and I tested that one too and I got similar results. But I'm going to test the 64GB card in the A129 in the next couple of days as soon as I get a chance and see how that goes before going out and buying another faster card.

Re Question 3: I've been formatting the card quite a lot until now due testing mod fw and am now going to format every 2 weeks. Which I have been doing with my other dash cams. I've set the format reminder for every 15 days so it will be interesting to see or hear what the notifications will be. We'll write our own user manual lol :p

Yeah I know you mentioned earlier BCHobbyist saying larger cards could heat up the dash cam. But I've read on other posts some have been using the new 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro cards with the A129 without issues. I was hoping some of them could confirm if they are still using them trouble-free. These cards are also recommended for dash cams. 128GB is just not enough for 2 channel 1080p high bitrate writing. Will be even worse with 2 channel 4K dash cams...be lucky to get 24 hours of footage at best.

You're welcome mate! Wish I could be on this forum more often to keep up to date but I'm so busy with work and family. But grateful I can rely on you to keep the ball rolling on these issues.

Hey Joe, no I haven't had any single/double beeps (cutting videos short) since I changed cards. As I mentioned before, as a precaution I ordered my card directly from Samsung online. I didn't want to take the chance of getting a "fake card" on Amazon. It was about $6 more and 3 days slower ordering through Samsung...but to me that was worth knowing I have a legit card.

I know you already have a fast sd card...you're not still getting the beeps are you?

Hey @StrayCam glad to hear your new card is going well so far. Could you let us know if it's still operating beep-free when the card is full as well

If you are using modified firmware 6WK then the combined front & rear camera bitrate is 26+18=44Mb/s

Your card write speed is showing as 4.1MB/s = 32.8Mb/s in the card reader. Even in-camera at 8.1MB/s = 64.8Mb/s is a bit slow to keep up with file handling when the card is full.

You need a card with a faster write speed for reliable loop recording.

Thanks @TonyM , much appreciated! I'm going to get onto that asap

Hey @StrayCam glad to hear your new card is going well so far. Could you let us know if it's still operating beep-free when the card is full as well

Sure Eric, I'll let you know. I just checked my card and I only have 816 mb left, so I think I should have it filled within the first 5 minutes...lol - - Each driving file (using 2 min loops/high bitrate) is about 248 mb, and each low bitrate parking mode file is about 62 mb. Based on what I remember, I guess the ratio sounds right. My low bitrate files are 1/4th the size of my regular driving files.

I'll report back tonight to let you know if the single/double beeps return. - I hope not!

Okay Eric, I'm still not getting any beeps signaling that the videos have been cut short which is great! It appears as though the R.O. File must have a reserved space amount, but I'm not sure what it is...? My RO file is showing 2 files from a week ago which are from parking (front & rear) 62 mb each, so total of 124 mb. My SD free space went from 816 mb to 671 mb, but nothing at all was filed to my RO file today. I guess some amount of videos gets arbitrarily deleted from the Movies directory when your SD card gets full, and therefore the "free space" can fluctuate between 600 and 900 mb...?

But again, bottom line is no more beeps... btw, your idea of going to 256gb on the SD card sounds good!

I guess some amount of videos gets arbitrarily deleted from the Movies directory when your SD card gets full
It's not arbitrary. The camera deletes the oldest file to make space for a new one.

Thanks for the update @StrayCam that sounds great! Fingers crossed it continues!

Yeah getting a 256GB card would help me a lot as I don't have time to go through video footage every day. One of the members on a different post @HonestReview have had very good experience with the Sandisk A2 Extreme Pro micro sd card in his A129 Duo. After I asked him if he could give me his opinion on the card he said it's been working "flawlessly". So I'm going to get one shortly

That post is here...

Last edited:
My single and double beeps have started again! This is with my replacement A129!

In a 30min journey I had 2 single beeps, then a double beep and then a single beep.

I have just checked the footage and found 3 instances where the file got cut short and I am missing 20-30secs footage each time.

I'll probably run through the card tests but I doubt they will be any different from last time.

Joe-

The weird thing is I believe you're using a Viofo SD card?!?!

I am afraid to ask you what, if anything, Viofo has told you could solve this problem? They are probably much too busy working on their new products!!!

I don't believe you are one of the beta testers, so you should not be having to go through these problems, should you?

Yes, that's correct - and I also tested my card - I haven't contacted viofo about this yet - Last time I assumed it was just the unit... So I'm not sure what to do now?

One thing I noticed... The beep happens directly before the new file starts.. I know this because at the start of one clip you hear me press the button to see if there is anything on the display and another time I mutter something.

It's getting pretty tiring!

Yes, that's correct - and I also tested my card - I haven't contacted viofo about this yet - Last time I assumed it was just the unit... So I'm not sure what to do now?

One thing I noticed... The beep happens directly before the new file starts.. I know this because at the start of one clip you hear me press the button to see if there is anything on the display and another time I mutter something.

It's getting pretty tiring!

I would tell Viofo to give you a new SD card. I'm 95% sure that's the problem. You of course would wonder, how can Viofo's card be bad? Probably for the same reason the A129 dash cam could be bad.

I'm using the Samsung Evo Plus U3 Class 10 128 gb card, and that fixed my double/single beeps. I bought mine directly from Samsung to avoid fakes being sold on Amazon.

CaptnEric bought a 256gb Sandisk High Endurance card with great results. The extra space of course gives him more days before write-overs.

Viofo card is much better in speed and endurance(MLC technology) than the Samsung Evo Plus,it cost double too,I have 2 Viofo and 2 Samsung Evo Plus cards with no problems at all.This does not exclude the possibility that you have a bad card, it happens with all manufacturers.

Well I've flashed back fw 1.5, reset the dashcam and formatted the card.
It's quite weird how it only happened after about 3-4 weeks, the card would have looped lot of times.
There was nothing unusual or different about my journey either that day.

Well I've flashed back fw 1.5, reset the dashcam and formatted the card.
It's quite weird how it only happened after about 3-4 weeks, the card would have looped lot of times.
There was nothing unusual or different about my journey either that day.
Joe, it's not clear what happened with your cam. maybe you can explain...

This morning I got a double beep while driving. I checked the footage later and I am missing 20 seconds of footage!

Joe, it's not clear what happened with your cam. maybe you can explain...

So basically I was getting the single beeps with my original camera (with missing footage).
About a month ago I got a replacement from viofo. The replacement had been fine (with the exception of the issues in buffered parking mode and on this forum)
And then I got lots of single beeps on friday (3/4 times in 30mins of driving)
You may recall I tested my sd card with h2testw and also tested the speed with no issues.

This morning I got a double beep while driving. I checked the footage later and I am missing 20 seconds of footage!

So basically I was getting the single beeps with my original camera (with missing footage).
About a month ago I got a replacement from viofo. The replacement had been fine (with the exception of the issues in buffered parking mode and on this forum)
And then I got lots of single beeps on friday (3/4 times in 30mins of driving)
You may recall I tested my sd card with h2testw and also tested the speed with no issues.

So, we've learned by trial-and-error that single beeps and double-beeps while driving both seem to indicate the same thing: "Your video has been cut short!" - - As everyone knows, Viofo does not tell their customers anywhere (User Manual, Viofo Website - User Forum, etc.) what any beeps mean. But "shortened video clips" is indeed what they mean.

I have only heard of two "suggested causes" of that problem. One is the SD card... and I know yours is Viofo. But as someone else said, Viofo can have a "bad card" here and there. The other "suggested cause" was the rear camera connection... I think it's more likely to be an sd card issue myself. - - As you may recall, I changed my card from a Lexmark to a Samsung Evo Plus, and it fixed my beeping problem.

Although you may be reluctant to do so because it's like pulling teeth getting help/answers from" Viofo, I'd create a "support ticket" and see what they recommend. It may take you quite a while to get an answer! - - Let us know what happens. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am getting both single-beep and double-beep on my A129 for no apparent reason. Card is 64GB Viofo U3. Powered by HK3 directly into the camera. I don't usually have all beep sounds turned on as I prefer my cameras to be quiet, but sometimes I turn on the beeps for testing.

I am getting both single-beep and double-beep on my A129 for no apparent reason. Card is 64GB Viofo U3. Powered by HK3 directly into the camera. I don't usually have all beep sounds turned on as I prefer my cameras to be quiet, but sometimes I turn on the beeps for testing.
check the card and see what sort of speeds it's giving at the moment

check the card and see what sort of speeds it's giving at the moment
The last time I checked this card with h2testw, in July, I saw a write speed of 62Mbps and a read speed of 72Mbps. I will check it again.

Back