Viofo A129 - Are You Getting Single-Beeps While Driving?

The last time I checked this card with h2testw, in July, I saw a write speed of 62Mbps and a read speed of 72Mbps. I will check it again.
yeah if that has changed you'll know what the problem is, good that you have a previous test for reference

I deleted the Movie folder - but did not reformat the card - prior to running h2testw to see if that shows anything. It's writing a lot slower than before, varying 9.5Mbps to 40Mbps so far.
I will reformat to FAT32 in-PC then re-test

I deleted the Movie folder - but did not reformat the card - prior to running h2testw to see if that shows anything. It's writing a lot slower than before, varying 9.5Mbps to 40Mbps so far.
I will reformat to FAT32 in-PC then re-test
after that if it still doesn't go well do a full overwrite with SDformatter then try again, CrystalDiskMark is maybe better for the speed test

64GB Viofo MLC U3 Before reformat:

1571915988023.png 1571917817944.png

Without formatting the card after removing it from the camera, H2testw started slow at under 10Mbps, then steadily grew faster during the test. On a repeat test, H2testw started at 61Mbps and remained constant.

Last edited:
EDIT - I think my guess below is incorrect

Is it possible that the beeps are the cause, rather than the symptom? I know that sounds strange!

I have been looking at two different microSD cards that I used in the A129 this week. The only time I saw truncated files is when I had "All Sounds" enabled on the camera, and I've only done this recently for testing the g-sensor in parking mode. When I had selected "Button only" the files all appear to be fine, which is how I normally use the camera.

Perhaps this is just a coincidence as I cannot conceive how a logical link would exist between the beep setting and truncated files. I would need to do more extensive testing to verify any possible link, which I don't have time for at the moment.

I am using a beta FW for parking mode, not the current V1.9.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the beeps are the cause, rather than the symptom? I know that sounds strange!

I have been looking at two different microSD cards that I used in the A129 this week. The only time I saw truncated files is when I had "All Sounds" enabled on the camera, and I've only done this recently for testing the g-sensor in parking mode. When I had selected "Button only" the files all appear to be fine, which is how I normally use the camera.

Perhaps this is just a coincidence as I cannot conceive how a logical link would exist between the beep setting and truncated files. I would need to do more extensive testing to verify any possible link, which I don't have time for at the moment.

I suppose I could turn off "All Sounds" and then check the file sizes on the app after each journey, although one issue is I went around 3-4 weeks without having the beep problem, so how long do you leave it before you can conclude this? :cautious:

Another interesting thing is the beep happens immediately before the new file starts - I know this because I heard myself muttering something at the start of the next file (after the previous one had been cut short)

I always find the missing footage is about 20-30secs so the sequence of events (at least for me) seems to be:
  • Camera stops writing for 20-30secs
  • Camera beeps and then starts a new file

I have experienced random beeps and shortened files on both my A129 DUO setups. They occurred while using 3 different SanDisk Ultra A1 cards (two 256GB cards and one 128GB card) and also on a Viofo 128GB card. The issue was much worse with the SanDisk A1 cards for whatever reason. The 3 SanDisk cards have all since flipped to read only mode and are junk, which is disapointing as these seems to be running fine for the last 4-6 months or so. I did test/reformat them a few times, seeing if I could correct the issue, before they flipped to read only mode. The Viofo card I have mysteriously lost, but it also tested fine (I'm still looking for it and will test again when found). Don't recall if there was a speed difference before and after formatting though. Since installing a Samsung EVO Plus 128GB card, I have not experienced any beeps or shortened files. It's only been about two weeks, so I'm still keeping my eye on it. A 64GB Silicon Power card I have in my other setup has been fine as well, which seems weird.
I just replaced the Samsung with a Viofo 64GB card to see if the issue starts up again. If it does, I'll disable beeps to see if that makes any difference.
Both cameras running V1.9.

Can you perhaps try and run HDTune over the card. It reports minimum speeds too. Sometimes if the card is faulty, its mimimum read/write speed will be quite low. The other tools just give us an average so it doesn’t really rule out faulty flash. Start with a write test, then read, and post the min and max results for our interpretation :)

I always used the camera with "button only" enabled for the beep sounds,and never had this problems,I used 4 cards,Viofo 64 and 128GB,Samsung Evo Plus 64 and 128GB.

TonyM-

As you know, this problem of single and/or double beeps has been reported a long time ago on several threads here - almost as long as Viofo has known about the g-sensor sensitivity problem in parking mode! - - Presumably Viofo knows "something" about this issue, but as is the norm with them, they are keeping their lips sealed!!! - - After all, the A129 and A129 customers are not their priority...

Would it be hard for someone from Viofo to post on their own "Company User Forum" that they know this is an issue and it is being addressed? Not really. Will it happen? Probably not!

I personally solved this problem by switching from my Lexar 128 gb sd card to a Samsung Evo Plus 128 gb sd card purchased directly from Samsung. I didn't want to take any chance of getting a "fake card" on Amazon. Since I switched cards, the beeps have gone away.

Incidentally, I have always used the "all beeps" setting as I want to know if the dash cam is not recording for some reason (forgot to put sd card back in, etc.); if the setting is on "buttons only" you will not be notified that your dash cam is not recording. Hopefully that doesn't happen when you need some important footage.

I will put my old Lexar card back in my A129 in a bit to see if the beeps return. - - One would think that they would as that is the only change I made to my dash cam.

Btw, here are two other threads on this forum that deal with the beeps problem. The first link is only about 2 months old and the 2nd link goes all the way back to March, when I believe Firmware 1.5 was being used, ? mabe something even older!!!

I think my guess that enabling all sounds might be a cause of the beeping problem was way off the mark. It was a quick conclusion drawn from the evidence in front of me.

I've gone back to the SanDisk Ultra card that I've been using for more than a year in the A129. If this works without beeps as it has in the past, then I can only conclude that the A129 doesn't like my Viofo microSD card.

I've gone back to the SanDisk Ultra card that I've been using for more than a year in the A129. If this works without beeps as it has in the past, then I can only conclude that the A129 doesn't like my Viofo microSD card.
have you done a full overwrite erase with SDformatter on the Viofo card yet?

have you done a full overwrite erase with SDformatter on the Viofo card yet?
Admittedly I was a bit quick to write off the Viofo card. I've done a full overwrite format with SD Card Formatter. Now it's back in the A129 filling up with parking mode files.

Admittedly I was a bit quick to write off the Viofo card. I've done a full overwrite format with SD Card Formatter. Now it's back in the A129 filling up with parking mode files.

When I put the Lexar SD card back in my a129, it took less than 10 minutes to get my first single beep... in less than 5 minutes, I got two more single beeps... it definitely seems to be related to that Lexar SD Card which had relatively low write speeds. I plan on putting my new Samsung Evo Plus SD card back in tomorrow; I suspect the beeps will go away again.

Change ( in this case ownership ) are not always for the best.

I'm now getting double beeps with the latest beta FW. Sometimes constant double beeps, and no recording at all. Other times I get a few seconds of recording, then a few seconds of beeping. This only happens when parked - driving is fine.

I'm now getting double beeps with the latest beta FW. Sometimes constant double beeps, and no recording at all. Other times I get a few seconds of recording, then a few seconds of beeping. This only happens when parked - driving is fine.
something busted in the parking mode logic by the sounds of it

Which beta? I installed V1.9T2 yesterday and just check all the footage from today and all seems OK. It was in low bitrate parking mode for about 8 hours and they all seem to be there. I assume you did the typical post firmware install of manually defaulting the camera, then pressing the reset button?

Which beta? I installed V1.9T2 yesterday and just check all the footage from today and all seems OK. It was in low bitrate parking mode for about 8 hours and they all seem to be there. I assume you did the typical post firmware install of manually defaulting the camera, then pressing the reset button?
Yes, 1.9T2. I did manual default settings. I don't use the reset button though. Everything worked well initially. I think the problem only started after the card was full.

Back