Viofo A129 Duo duplicating/jumping frames on rear camera/Firmware Bug Discovered

it is not a processor limitation

I'm a bit perturbed by the lack of response from Viofo so far. Emailed them, and nothing, but maybe they are researching issue? I hope so, because this is a problem I think we'd all like resolved.

I guess this isn't the highest priority at the moment, so there is nothing to report, after all it took a long time for anyone to report it so why would it be high priority?

I guess this isn't the highest priority at the moment, so there is nothing to report, after all it took a long time for anyone to report it so why would it be high priority?

I disagree. The A129 Duo is still their top of the line model. The A129 Pro isn't out yet. And a company not resolving a major issue or design flaw affecting an entire product line sets a bad precedence on customer service.

I'm a bit perturbed by the lack of response from Viofo so far. Emailed them, and nothing, but maybe they are researching issue? I hope so, because this is a problem I think we'd all like resolved.
perhaps they're busy???

I disagree. The A129 Duo is still their top of the line model. The A129 Pro isn't out yet. And a company not resolving a major issue or design flaw affecting an entire product line sets a bad precedence on customer service.
Like Jokiin suggested, they might just be busy on the Pro, and the ..., and ...
There have to be priorities, and since the Pro doesn't appear to suffer the same issue, I don't see why this should be top of the list. No doubt there will be a firmware update for the Duo sometime, and that is when I would expect this to be fixed.

Thanks for your feedback, we will check this issue.

Greatly appreciated. If you read this thread, you'll be able to easily duplicate the issue. Hopefully a fix is within reach. Someone mentioned that the frame rate on Front Camera might slightly differ from the rear, causing the double frame every 80-90 frames.

Thanks for your feedback, we will check this issue.

Greatly appreciated. If you read this thread, you'll be able to easily duplicate the issue. Hopefully a fix is within reach. Someone mentioned that the frame rate on Front Camera might slightly differ from the rear, causing the double frame every 80-90 frames.

The rear one duplicating a frame,every 92-93 frames exactly and precisely like a clockwork...The front one is randomly duplicating and jumping sometimes..

Finnaly I have found some raw samples of the Street Guardian SG9663DC which have same chipset as our A129 Duo.I have checked the first minute of footage and no frame duplicating at all,I don't think the rest of the footage have frame duplicates neither,as I can see with naked eyes everything is smooth like butter and very good quality.I put the link to the raw files here hoping the owner @kamkar1 will not get upset with this or with me,for using his files...:angelic:

Last edited:
Finnaly I have found some raw samples of the Street Guardian SG9663DC...
Checked the rear, and it seems the first 2 frames are identical...

Yup,you are right.But really I don't consider that a problem...:)
Does it mean there is a duplicate frame every minute if you have 1 minute loop recording?

Does it mean there is a duplicate frame every minute if you have 1 minute loop recording?

I have the next footage too,and first 2 frames are not duplicated anymore.If Viofo will fix this problem and the A129 will record as smooth as this footage,I'll be more than satisfied..

Last edited:
I have the next footage too,and first 2 frames are not duplicated anymore.If Viofo will fix this problem and the A129 will record as smooth as this footage,I'll be more than satisfied..

Email from Bill at Viofo acknowledged receipt of my email today and stated the problem would be forwarded on to Viofo Engineers.

I'm not sure what FW version was on the camera at that time. I'll have to do some digging around of old files and correspondence to find it. (Recently, I have taken to putting the FW version on the OSD for easy reference, to help with things like this).

This does suggest that the issue is related to FW, and is not necessarily a hardware issue. However that file was recorded on my pre-release A129 test unit, so the hardware could be different to my other retail unit.

I'm not sure what FW version was on the camera at that time. I'll have to do some digging around of old files and correspondence to find it. (Recently, I have taken to putting the FW version on the OSD for easy reference, to help with things like this).

This does suggest that the issue is related to FW, and is not necessarily a hardware issue. However that file was recorded on my pre-release A129 test unit, so the hardware could be different to my other retail unit.

I did a manual look through of the first 270 frames. Did not see any duplicates. Don't know a program / how to automate process. None the less, this firmware proves what I originally stated. A bug got introduced and the belief is that front camera is recording at 30 FPS and rear at ~29.97 meaning that every 90 frames or so, there's a duplicate frame.

Should be an easy fix.....but again, Viofo seems to not have dedicated much effort to resolve.

Should be an easy fix.....but again, Viofo seems to not have dedicated much effort to resolve.
You don't know that until the next firmware arrives and you find out if it is fixed or not.

this firmware proves what I originally stated. A bug got introduced and the belief is that front camera is recording at 30 FPS and rear at ~29.97 meaning that every 90 frames or so, there's a duplicate frame.
You seem quick to jump to conclusions and make everything sound easy.

The example I posted was from a pre-production camera running pre-production firmware. That same firmware might have duplicate frames on a retail A129. Alternatively, the current firmware might have no duplicate frames on that pre-production hardware. I might test both in time. Hopefully my observations will help @viofo engineers to address the issue.

Back