Viofo A129 Duo Firmware 1.5 Works but Firmware 2.1 Has a Parking Mode Bug

newer cars can be problematic at times, they don't look to be getting simpler anytime soon either
It's the never-ending chase for ultimate efficiency and to add features so claims of "new and improved" can be made. The chip shortage will slow that down awhile, but in the end we're going to get cars which cannot handle any additions or alterations at all, including dashcams. If you want something it will have to be factory installed and the whole damn car reprogrammed for it to work. It won't be cheap but it will be very profitable for the car makers.

Phil

even when it gets to that there will still be the constant game of cat and mouse between the OEM automakers and the aftermarket industry, if it gets too restrictive then governments often step in and rule against anti competitive behavior, has happened before, will happen again I'm sure

Just read EU will take steps towards big companies, in regard to where they make their money and where they pay their taxes, and already some are claiming they do too little.
I am not big on governments meddling in things, but clearly if these fat cats get to run as they please it will be as big a mess too, either way the little guy will be the looser.

even when it gets to that there will still be the constant game of cat and mouse between the OEM automakers and the aftermarket industry, if it gets too restrictive then governments often step in and rule against anti competitive behavior, has happened before, will happen again I'm sure
But I'm not so sure. I offer you the case of John Deere tractors in the USA where now you are not allowed to do many repairs yourself, but must have a factory authorized technician do them. The issue is known as "right to repair"; google it and be prepared to be enraged and nauseated :mad: And it's not just John Deere- many companies are beginning to do similarly. And lo and behold, there is nothing in that law which prevents car manufacturers from doing the same thing; in fact many have said they think it is a good idea but haven't implemented it yet. But they will, for it is profitable to them- very profitable.

Whether the rest of the world gets something similar I cannot predict, but if the car manufacturers can find a way to do it, they most certainly will.

Phil

Can we say OUT OF CONTEXT.

Bold ... so we know you're fibbing!

You seem to take it as a personal afront when someone disagrees with you. Let me rephrase that. You seem to take is as a personal afront when someone other than board demi-Gods (like Jokiin) disagree with you.

The A129 will absolutely not enter parking mode without a 3 wire hardwire kit, UNLESS it has the GPS enabled .

From a different thread:
If the engine is running, parking mode is not... It has ZERO to do with the GPS.

Of course, this was before your arrogance was set straight by Jokiin. Which seems to happen a lot with you.

Yeah yeah yeah ... I should stop taking things out of context!

Blackvue cameras utilize motion detect /event detection with buffered parking mode. So event enabled only.

Because I'm not an arrogant person, I'll preface this by saying BlackVue may be different now, but ...

This is utter garbage for the DR-400 unit. My BlackVue switched to parking mode after a period of no movement detection by the GPS. Recorded continuously until GPS motion was detected, then switched back to normal mode.

Bold ... so we know you're fibbing!

You seem to take it as a personal afront when someone disagrees with you. Let me rephrase that. You seem to take is as a personal afront when someone other than board demi-Gods (like Jokiin) disagree with you.

If I am wrong, I can admit to being wrong. However, I see you burying your head in the sand about Push Button Engines. Not a single mention of you being wrong here.

From a different thread: If the engine is running, parking mode is not... It has ZERO to do with the GPS.

Holy sh*t. Do you read what you write? Yes, if the ENGINE IS RUNNING, Parking MODE IS NOT active. The camera runs off the car's battery when the engine is running. On a 3 Wire Hardwire Kit, the ACC lets the camera know when the car is shut off. Thus activating parking mode. On a 2 wire hardwire kit, the GPS being idle triggers parking mode (GPS must be Supported and Turned On (I.E. Active). After X minutes of idling, the car will enter parking mode.

A Dash Camera DOES NOT record in parking mode while the Engine is Running. So yes, Park Mode has ZERO to do with the GPS on a running engine.

Award for DUMBEST out of context quote...goes to @Prelude89

Of course, this was before your arrogance was set straight by Jokiin. Which seems to happen a lot with you.

Yeah yeah yeah ... I should stop taking things out of context!

Because I'm not an arrogant person, I'll preface this by saying BlackVue may be different now, but ...

This is utter garbage for the DR-400 unit. My BlackVue switched to parking mode after a period of no movement detection by the GPS. Recorded continuously until GPS motion was detected, then switched back to normal mode.

Arrogant? No. Misinformed, take quotes out of context, and childish? Very much.

Again, Black Vue cameras DO NOT support live recording in park mode nor Low Bitrate Recording. A properly hardwired Blackvue will only record event detection.

1. Shoots in 1080P at 30FPS
  2. Amazing day and night quality
  3. Parking mode by Motion detection
  4. Great design
  5. Event and normal recording

Not a single mention of you being wrong here.
That's because, unlike you, I tend not to make bold proclomations about my intelligence, only to have them shot down!

Do you read what you write?
It's clear you don't! If you had bothered, you would have seen where that quote came from. Another case of you stamping your foot telling me I had no idea how things work, only to be put in your place by Jokiin.

On a 2 wire hardwire kit, the GPS being idle triggers parking mode (GPS must be Supported and Turned On (I.E. Active). After X minutes of idling, the car will enter parking mode.

A Dash Camera DOES NOT record in parking mode while the Engine is Running. So yes, Park Mode has ZERO to do with the GPS on a running engine.

Ummm ... You get it right about how a 2 wire kit uses the GPS to switch to parking mode, and then tell us parking mode has zero to do with the GPS? The engine running or not has zero affect on parking mode when using a 2 wire kit.

As has been pointed out to you in the past, dash cameras do indeed run in parking mode while the engine is running, so once again, BOLD (CAPS ESPECIALLY) is a lie!

A properly hardwired Blackvue will only record event detection.
Sorry, this is just wrong.

Remember, I OWNED one of these devices, so I KNOW that it records continuous in parking mode. In fact, I turned-off the motion detection in my camera to help with the overheating issue. NO motion detection, still hours of parking mode recording.

As I said before, take these BS claims over to the DR-400 forum and see how far you get.

That's because, unlike you, I tend not to make bold proclomations about my intelligence, only to have them shot down!

It's clear you don't! If you had bothered, you would have seen where that quote came from. Another case of you stamping your foot telling me I had no idea how things work, only to be put in your place by Jokiin.

Well the quote you posted clearly didn't prove your point.. So link to where you got this statement....Which clearly you didn't as it was either out of context or didn't prove your point within context.

Ummm ... You get it right about how a 2 wire kit uses the GPS to switch to parking mode, and then tell us parking mode has zero to do with the GPS? The engine running or not has zero affect on parking mode when using a 2 wire kit.

The Two wire hardwire kit would be hooked to Ground and Battery. And the GPS relies on idling. I'm not sure what the timeout is on idling, but I'm sure it's several minutes. Long enough that every Stop Sign, Red Light, and what not doesn't trigger the camera. Otherwise, your camera would be entering parking mode every time the car stands still.

Maybe I should have stated more clearly, The Engine Running means that Parking Mode is not Active in MOST NORMAL CONDITIONS. So unless you are sitting in a parking lot, and engine running for no other reason than to idle, Parking Mode won't enable. It is possible to have the engine on and sitting there listening to the radio, with the car not moving. And for the car to ENTER parking mode with the engine on. Most scenarios for parking mode include the car being PARKED and at a stand still.

As has been pointed out to you in the past, dash cameras do indeed run in parking mode while the engine is running, so once again, BOLD (CAPS ESPECIALLY) is a lie!

Remember, I OWNED one of these devices, so I KNOW that it records continuous in parking mode. In fact, I turned-off the motion detection in my camera to help with the overheating issue. NO motion detection, still hours of parking mode recording.

As I said before, take these BS claims over to the DR-400 forum and see how far you get.

If what you're state is true about the Dr400 having "low bitrate park mode", then take it up with BlackBoxMyCar. I tend to believe them over you. I'm only taking their literature and telling you what it says.

Maybe I should have stated more clearly,

LOL ... Maybe if you didn't feel the need to carry on so much when people (other than board demi-Gods) disagree with you, you wouldn't run into such issues.

Maybe I should have stated more clearly,

Again ... you have the habit of making sweeping statements in an attempt to prove yourself right. Sadly, it fails so miserably.

If what you're state is true about the Dr400 having "low bitrate park mode",

Hmmm ... I don't think I have claimed it has a low bitrate park mode. Here's your chance to shine ...

Hmmm ... I don't think I have claimed it has a low bitrate park mode. Here's your chance to shine ...

Maybe you should think more often......You absolutely claimed it had continuous recording mode. Which is basically low bitrate recording mode.

I listen plenty fine. I am wrong sometimes. Clearly, you are, too. End of story.

Back to original point about this firmware having a Bug. Enough Nonsense.

You absolutely claimed it had continuous recording mode.

Yes I did ... because it does!

Which is basically low bitrate recording mode.

Why would you say that? Even the a129 can record in parking mode and not use low bitrate mode. Only an idiot would equate parking mode to low bitrate mode.

Nice to see you failed so miserably to shine. Well done.

Yes I did ... because it does!

Why would you say that? Even the a129 can record in parking mode and not use low bitrate mode. Only an idiot would equate parking mode to low bitrate mode.

Nice to see you failed so miserably to shine. Well done.

Define continuous recording....Not a listed feature on manufacture's website. No mention of Low Bitrate Parking Mode. So please define how the camera continues to record live video. As yes, you said continuous recording and not motion detection.

Define continuous recording....

Really? Well ... since you asked, and didn't use bold ... continuous recording is when the camera records without inserting breaks in the recording. Unlike the a129, which does not offer continuous recording when switching between modes, the BlackVue does.

Not a listed feature on manufacture's website.

No, it's not. I have to say, I was somewhat surprised when the blurb on the camera mentioned parking mode only occurred from either motion detection or event detection.

No mention of Low Bitrate Parking Mode.

Of course not. That would be because it doesn't have it, and it's only you who equates parking mode with low bitrate mode.

So please define how the camera continues to record live video.

I'll tell you how. While it's true the camera doesn't technically have a continuous parking mode (Ie, there's no button that's labelled "Continuous recording"), if you set the sensitivity of the G-Sensor event triggers to maximum, it records continuously. From Blackvue Recording Gaps in Parking Mode (DR400G-HD): Based on those settings you should have no gaps.

And because you do so like to carry on, from the same page: Update: had the dashcam replaced under the warranty. Now ... I know making assumptions with you is dangerous, but I think it ought to be a reasonable assumption that when he got his replacement camera, it no longer had gaps.

As yes, you said continuous recording and not motion detection.

I did, because it does.

Really? Well ... since you asked, and didn't use bold ... continuous recording is when the camera records without inserting breaks in the recording. Unlike the a129, which does not offer continuous recording when switching between modes, the BlackVue does.
have to admit I thought you were talking about continuous recording while parked (which I guess might be possible if all sensitivities are wound up to full), but seems you were referring to continuous recording as in the ability to do seamless transition between driving and parking modes (as discussed in the other thread) which the Blackvue supports, can see how this could be misinterpreted

have to admit I thought you were talking about continuous recording while parked

I was.

HonestReview was/is trying to bash home some idiotic point that the BlackVue can't do continuous recording in parking mode.

Now, I get that he would think this because of how parking mode is described, even by BlackVue themselves. But ... when someone owns a device and tell you it'll do something, I just don't get why anyone would then try and prove them wrong.

but seems you were referring to continuous recording as in the ability to do seamless transition between driving and parking modes

Not specifically. This was just one of the major quirks that I hadn't experienced with the BlackVue, and being told (probably in bold) by HonestReview that it was simply not possible for any camera to do this just made me laugh at his ignorance and arrogance, because I knew it did, and despite me telling him it had no break, he wouldn't have it.

Not specifically. This was just one of the major quirks that I hadn't experienced with the BlackVue, and being told (probably in bold) by HonestReview that it was simply not possible for any camera to do this just made me laugh at his ignorance and arrogance, because I knew it did, and despite me telling him it had no break, he wouldn't have it.
people often assume how something works based on their experience with some other device and think they're all the same, he's not the first, I'm sure he won't be the last

have to admit I thought you were talking about continuous recording while parked (which I guess might be possible if all sensitivities are wound up to full), but seems you were referring to continuous recording as in the ability to do seamless transition between driving and parking modes (as discussed in the other thread) which the Blackvue supports, can see how this could be misinterpreted

So is @Prelude89 in his crappy explanation simply referring to the transition between normal record and park mode? Where there's a buffer to ensure that no gap exists in between the switch? And yes, when the A129 switches between Normal and Park, there's a few second gap as the camera doesn't buffer the video while switching.

And is @Prelude89 then insinuating the Blackvue will record nonstop from driving to park mode and while the car is parked? As even turning all sensitivities up, a camera shouldn't hit on false positives. And is often triggered by movement of some sort.

I was.

HonestReview was/is trying to bash home some idiotic point that the BlackVue can't do continuous recording in parking mode.

Now, I get that he would think this because of how parking mode is described, even by BlackVue themselves. But ... when someone owns a device and tell you it'll do something, I just don't get why anyone would then try and prove them wrong.

You suck at explaining things, are vague, and then think everyone understands what you're eluding to. As even @jokiin misunderstood your point.

Now it sounds like you are referring to the transition between regular recording and parking mode as "continuous recording". Where the camera buffers the video to prevent a gap. Yes, the A129 doesn't have a buffer and loses a few seconds between Normal Recording and Park Mode.

As far as recording live video while parked like "normal recording while driving", I still don't see that being explained in the thread you linked. Other than tweaking settings and "recording while parked" without gaps.

If those settings indeed allow the camera to "not shut off" and record continuous, live, uninterupted video while parked, that is more of a flaw than intentional. As the camera shouldn't remain on and recording with false positives by design. So yes, this feature isn't discussed by Blackvue as it is an unintentional feature relating to a bug someone discovered.

Last edited:
Of course not. That would be because it doesn't have it, and it's only you who equates parking mode with low bitrate mode.
Blackvue is always lowish bitrate, so it doesn’t need a separate low bitrate mode

Back