Viofo A129 Duo IR - Impression & review on A129PRO

but so many people are saying that Viofo has given up on the firmware updates for this camera ?
Rubbish!

Not sure how many people are saying that, could be a number of multiple user names, but I think you only need the fingers of one hand to count them, and they are all wrong!

I wanted this because of the buffered parking mode and the time lapse parking mode... is this currently available on this camera ?
Yes, it has buffered, time lapse and low bitrate :)

There is a question of if the buffered works perfectly, but many people are using it, many without finding anything wrong.

I really wanted to get this camera.... but so many people are saying that Viofo has given up on the firmware updates for this camera ?
the beta testers have newer firmware than the current release version so obviously they have not given up on firmware, some things just take longer than people like unfortunately, when they don't hear anything they just assume the worst

I really wanted to get this camera.... but so many people are saying that Viofo has given up on the firmware updates for this camera ? I wanted this because of the buffered parking mode and the time lapse parking mode... is this currently available on this camera ?
There are new beta version for the firmware that Viofo havent officially release it. I takes time before the final release.

Yes Is has parking and time lapse mode. You need to get the hardwire kit for this setup.

At the mean time you can check the 3rd party firmware by BCHobbyist. In my opinion its better than Viofo's firmware.

There are new beta version for the firmware that Viofo havent officially release it. I takes time before the final release.

Yes Is has parking and time lapse mode. You need to get the hardwire kit for this setup.

At the mean time you can check the 3rd party firmware by BCHobbyist. In my opinion its better than Viofo's firmware.

I really wanted to get this camera.... but so many people are saying that Viofo has given up on the firmware updates for this camera ? I wanted this because of the buffered parking mode and the time lapse parking mode... is this currently available on this camera ?

Viperman-

Keep in mind that Nigel is a sub-contractor/beta-tester for Viofo. He gets "free equipment from Viofo" so you will not find him being terribly honest with you. The "fact" is, right now, the Buffered Parking Mode with G-sensor kind of sucks! Why???

#1 - With motion detection, you can't filter out movement of trees blowing that are 100 yards befind or in front of your car. Also, if you are parked near a busy area, cars going by etc.. it will be going off every 60 seconds. So, most users DO NOT use buffered parking mode with motion detection. Instead, they'll use low bit rate parking mode which is recording all the time, but at a lower bit rate. - - It's really the best 2nd choice mode, but your dash cam will not signal you of any events (people hitting your car, etc...); You have to observe and be aware that someone hit the lower part of your passenger side quarter panel and then go sift through hours of video to try and find it. Hopefully, you've detected the exterior damage before your sd card has been overwritten with new video.

#2 - G-Sensor in parking mode does not work, period!!! Nigel WILL NOT tell you that, but please remember he gets "free stuff" from Viofo. So, he won't tell you that! Go read the "buffered parking" thread for the A129 and you'll see what I'm telling you is true. - - Viofo has had this problem with the A129 g-sensor sensitivity since February. Now 9 months later, customers continue to wait. - - Will it ever get fixed??? Who knows; hopefully so...

The idea of using BCHobbyist's modified firmware for the A129 in parking mode shows that someone is not aware of the modified firmware and it's limitations. The high bit rate modified versions created by BCH (22-35 mbs); this firmware with higher bit rate modes was created to improve detail for owners that NEVER USE "parking mode".

So, bottom line is, if parking mode is important to you, BCH's modified firmware is not your answer. - - And as the Viofo A129 sits presently, you would need to use it in low-bit rate parking mode to serve your purpose. The G-Sensor does NOT work in parking mode.

Hopefully, someday Viofo fixes the problem, which brings up another issue. Viofo doesn't reply on their own user Forum to customer questions/problems. It's like "pulling teeth" trying to get any support from them. - At some point you'll read about Valkyrie's experience with "customer support"; it's rather pathetic.

Btw, if you haven't already seen it, here's a thread that summarizes problems users have had with the A129. Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Last edited:
We keep updating the firmware, soon we will have a new version for public testing for the A129 series.

Did a comparison with A129PRO vs A129. I'm not impressed with the 4K footage. When I received the A129, I was very impressed with the dashcam. Few months later, Viofo released their ultimate A129PRO with 4K recording. I can't wait to get my hands on the 4K dashcam. My expectation of this dashcam is it would capture a super clear footage. But, I was kind of disappointed.

After doing some comparison with A129 1080p vs A129PRO 4K, I realized that the 4K footage is not that far good from A129 1080p. Day time footage both footage seems identical or maybe the 4K have slight improvement. But I'm expecting a WOW footage. As for night footage, the A129 1080p capture a better video quality. I believe that this might be the firmware issue. A129PRO has allot of potential and it take times to get it perfect. Good thing about Viofo, they are constantly fine tuning and updating their product firmware until they are perfect. For example, Viofo's A119 and A119S firmware 4.0, A118C and so on, the firmware was fine tune and updated constantly until there are perfect. A129PRO current firmware is version 1.1. There are more fine tune firmware to come for the 4K cam.

Both Dashcam build quality and specifications are in top notch. The freedom of being able to do what you want to do with the dashcam without having any restriction is fantastic. That is what we and consumer wants. Good price as compare to those high end expensive dash cameras with similar specification.

Can't wait for Viofo to release more find tune firmware for A129PRO.

Last edited:
After doing some comparison with A129 1080p vs A129PRO 4K, I realized that the 4K footage is not that far good from A129 1080p.
4K doesn't mean magic image quality, in fact the image quality will be very similar, all it means is that there are 4 pixels for every 1 pixel in the 1080, which means that you can read a license plate that is at 2x the distance (unless there is too much motion blur).

If you really want to see the difference then remake your videos with 2x zoom, then we will be able to see the advantage of 4K while watching on a normal size monitor...

Seeing 4K requires a 4K capable screen, which many of us don't have in our computers ;) Viewing on a large-screen 4K capable TV through it's video inputs will show a remarkable improvement :D And yes, Viofo has a history of improving the firmware which few other cam manufacturers do as well with. 4K doesn't solve all the usual dashcam problems but it's a step forward with some of them, and that is the norm for dashcam development.

Phil

Did a comparison with A129PRO vs A129. I'm not impressed with the 4K footage. When I received the A129, I was very impressed with the dashcam. Few months later, Viofo released their ultimate A129PRO with 4K recording. I can't wait to get my hands on the 4K dashcam. My expectation of this dashcam is it would capture a super clear footage. But, I was kind of disappointed.

After doing some comparison with A129 1080p vs A129PRO 4K, I realized that the 4K footage is not that far good from A129 1080p. Day time footage both footage seems identical or maybe the 4K have slight improvement. But I'm expecting a WOW footage. As for night footage, the A129 1080p capture a better video quality. I believe that this might be the firmware issue. A129PRO has allot of potential and it take times to get it perfect. Good thing about Viofo, they are constantly fine tuning and updating their product firmware until they are perfect. For example, Viofo's A119 and A119S firmware 4.0, A118C and so on, the firmware was fine tune and updated constantly until there are perfect. A129PRO current firmware is version 1.1. There are more fine tune firmware to come for the 4K cam.

Both Dashcam build quality and specifications are in top notch. The freedom of being able to do what you want to do with the dashcam without having any restriction is fantastic. That is what we and consumer wants. Good price as compare to those high end expensive dash cameras with similar specification.

Can't wait for Viofo to release more find tune firmware for A129PRO.

Despite the differences between the two cams and the bugs they still have, my preference still goes for the pro version. When I replay the and compare the footage on a large 4k display and zoom in, the difference comes afloat. Yes, the 4k has more grainy image as opposed the non 4k but allows me to see a few more detail at near complete darkness in case something went on in that dark area that needs to be proven at a given time. This cameras are meant to collect as much evidence possible (in some instances they still fall short) in case of an unfortunate event and not meant for cinematic footage where people likes to brag about darker black contrast and overly boosted colors. But don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the beautiful colors they produce during a nice sunny daytime...
They will be getting better and better over the time and that won’t be long that’s for sure.

Back