Viofo A129 Duo IR review

Jeremy Wong

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119, Viofo A119S, Xiaomi Mijia, 360 J511C, etc
Author's Note: The original review is found at jwtech, please head to the site to show us your support as well. Click here to view all my product reviews.

Attached Image

Viofo has released a new infrared model of their A129 series, the A129 Duo IR. Specifically targetted for e-hailing like Uber, Grab, etc owners.

Viofo product page: A129 Duo IR

Technical Specs:
• Processor: Novatek 96663
• Sensor: Sony Starvis Sensor for both cameras
• Lens: 7G 140° wide-angle lens view
• Aperture: F1.6
• Resolution: 1080p 30fps for both front & rear. 1080p 30/60fps for the front only.
• 2″ High-resolution TFT
• Support up to 256GB microSD card
• Built-in 802.11n 2.4GHz / 802.11ac 5GHz Dual-band Wi-Fi
• Bluetooth remote (optional)
• GPS mount (optional)
• CPL filter (optional)
• Built-in super capacitor
• Parking mode (requires Viofo HK3 hardwire kit)

The box
Attached Image Attached Image
Attached Image

Open box

Contents
Attached Image
• A129 Duo
• GPS mount
• IR cam
• Dual USB car charger
• Long mini USB cable
• Short mini USB cable
• Long IR cam cable
• Short IR cam cable
• Cable clips x5
• Spare mount tape
• Pry tool
• User manual

A129 Duo IR
Attached Image

GPS mount

IR camera
With a mini USB port moved to the side instead of at the top like the A129’s rear camera. The mount is detachable. The IR camera can swivel more than 180°.

Dual USB car charger
Attached Image

Long mini USB cable

Short mini USB cable

Long IR cam cable

Short IR cam cable
This shorter IR cam cable is great to install the IR cam at the front windscreen.

Cable clips

Spare mounting tape

Pry tool

User manual

Initial firmware out of the box
Attached Image

IR cam modes
Attached Image
There are 3 modes for the IR cam: Mono, Auto & IR Color. You can see below in the videos section of each mode for the in-cabin cam and as a rear cam.

Viofo wireless Bluetooth remote control for A129

Open box
Attached Image

Contents
Attached Image
• Wireless Bluetooth remote
• Spare CR2032 battery
• Spare mounting tape
• User manual

Wireless Bluetooth remote control
Attached Image

User manual
Attached Image

Here’s what the remote control does. It’s a great add-on that you can place somewhere nearby instead of reaching up to the A129 to press on the emergency record button.

Test setup
Initially, I set up both cams at the front windscreen but later changed it to front and rear windscreen as I wanted to record the rear using the IR cam. I’m using the 128GB Transcend High Endurance microSD for the recordings.

Videos
Below is recorded in 1920×1080 30fps with an overall bit rate of 17.1 Mb/s with WDR on and without the CPL filter.

Front cam

IR cam as rear cam

Final thoughts
The A129 Duo IR is a great option for those driving a taxi, Uber, etc.

Using the IR cam as a rear cam, the Auto mode will have the infrared LED lights reflecting on the windscreen with a purple hue in the center. Better to use the IR Color mode if want to use the IR cam as a rear cam.

Found a bug while changing the IR mode from Mono/IR Color mode to Auto mode, it will remain in Mono/IR Color mode until the A129 has restarted then will be in Auto mode.

I got mine today, left the original A129 cables in place and just swapped the cameras over, thanks to this vid I know why the rear camera has a pink tint, its set to auto, I need to swap it to colour.
Cant wait for the 4K version next month !!

Having the IR rear camera in the back window kinda defeat its purpose, its meant for use as cabin camera, and as you see you have a bit of reflection in the rear window.

Having the IR rear camera in the back window kinda defeat its purpose, its meant for use as cabin camera, and as you see you have a bit of reflection in the rear window.
Actually, it is designed for mounting back there as an alternative option to the front, however it is then supposed to face forward to record the cabin.
If you are going to face it out of the window then you need to turn the IR LEDs off to avoid the reflection.

I had the Zerogogo R2 uber dashcam, so know about the IR cam.
I thought this may be an updated version of the A129. Especially as viofo are giving them away atm.. Check their fb page.

I had the Zerogogo R2 uber dashcam, so know about the IR cam.
I thought this may be an updated version of the A129. Especially as viofo are giving them away atm.. Check their fb page.

2 of my friends got an offer from Viofo after applying from fb post. Get to choose between A119 V3, A129 Duo, A129 Duo IR, and the A129 Pro 4K.

Hi Jeremy,

I recently bought a Viofo A129 Duo IR. I intend to use the IR camera as a rear camera. I have 2 doubts.
1. Would you recommend to use a CPL filter on IR camera when it used as a rear camera?.
2. Do i need to take off the CPL filter every time during night drives (On both front and rear)?

Thanks,
TorqueKnight

I don't think the CPL is compatible with the IR lamps, you would need to turn them off. But you probably don't need a CPL on the rear anyway.

I suggest that you mount the IR camera towards the front of the car if you have somewhere suitable. I have mine stuck very neatly to the interior lamp cluster, gives it a view out of the rear sides as well as the rear, and while number plates aren't as readable as if mounted on the rear window, you can still read the one behind you when you stop at the lights or whatever, the IR lights will actually illuminate the plate if it is properly dark. It is far enough back that the driver's head is not in the way of it seeing out of the rear door windows.

Taking off the front CPL at night will improve the video, but not by enough that anyone bothers! Some people will find it worth while taking it off in the darkest part of winter, but probably not in India since your winters are not very dark.

I don't think the CPL is compatible with the IR lamps, you would need to turn them off.

Taking off the front CPL at night will improve the video, but not by enough that anyone bothers!

Thank You Nigel. If we enable WDR then can it compensate the loss of detail from CPL during night drive?

Thank You Nigel. If we enable WDR then can it compensate the loss of detail from CPL during night drive?
Not on this camera. Most people leave WDR off.

I notice that my digital radio signal is a lot better and hardly breaks up with these new cameras, the ordinary ones my digital radio could not be used more than 2 mins without it sounding awful, I just switched cameras, kept the old cables in place.

I notice that my digital radio signal is a lot better and hardly breaks up with these new cameras, the ordinary ones my digital radio could not be used more than 2 mins without it sounding awful, I just switched cameras, kept the old cables in place.
Improved the interference issue in the new IR camera.

@viofo I notice the IR version front camera has a dull video, not a lot of colour compared to the A129 duo. I have a comparison video I made, but not sure who to send it to, to see if I got a faulty unit sent to me.

Back