Viofo A129 Duo on/off option

Buttons Disabled in Parking Mode = Prevent Someone from turning off power. This is a GOOD FEATURE on A139
I disagree with you on this one as it is more of an inconvenience than a safety issue.
I rather someone shutting down my camera than attempting removing the sd card while the camera is recording and potentially destroying the entire evidence.

Also, if the intruder is capable of pulling the power cord, then how "GOOD OF A FEATURE " is it to have the keys disabled on ANY dashcam?

The Thinkware u1000 You could manually shut off when in my garage and it would turn back on once again by its self when you start your car
I really like that.

Reactions: EGS
The Thinkware u1000 You could manually shut off when in my garage and it would turn back on once again by its self when you start your car
I really like that.
In my opinion that's the way it should be.

I really like that.
The VIOFO cameras also do that if you are using the HK3 hardwire kit. For some models you need the key to shut off manually.

I disagree with you on this one as it is more of an inconvenience than a safety issue.
I rather someone shutting down my camera than attempting removing the sd card while the camera is recording and potentially destroying the entire evidence.

Also, if the intruder is capable of pulling the power cord, then how "GOOD OF A FEATURE " is it to have the keys disabled on ANY dashcam?

It really isn't an intruder prevention system "Per Say". It's more of a deterrent. You need the Viofo app to connect to the camera. So there's no screen to tamper with stuff. Plus, it would be quite obvious of the Valet, Mechanic, etc tampered with the camera. "Magically the Memory Card is Missing or Formatted" when there was a lock on the camera.

Furthermore, there's no powering off the camera. Again, you'd have to remove the lock then erase the video (Obvious).

The point here is culpability. Turn Off Sounds. Turn off Notifications. You make the camera "less obvious". I had two stupid kids break into my former beater car (no longer) that I used for crap I didn't want to mess up my day to day ride with (Volvo). The two stupid kids who broke in were caught on Low Bitrate Parking mode, and didn't even bother or notice camera.

So there's that too...

Over the years there have been a number of people on DCT reporting cam tampering when having their car serviced. Most of the time it wasn't done by button press but with removed cards, cams, and cables and at least once or twice having the cam turned to where it couldn't record activity.........
I have also had service people pull the power cord to stop recording. This is the easiest way to stop recordings on ALL dashcams.
I am lucky on one car that I have individual cams front and back (not dual cam). They never unplug the rear cam !!!!

Be sure to turn it off before turning off the car or after the camera has already entered parking mode. If you shut off the car, then immediately try to manually power off the camera while it's trying to enter parking mode, then it won't shut off.

I messed around with it some more and this didn't work. The only way I could get it to turn completely off was to turn my car off first and then hold the button down to power off the camera. I would like to be able to power the camera off while the car is running. It seems like I'm going to have wire a switch into the power wires to do so. It blows my mind that the button you use to power off the camera only works in certain scenarios.

Reactions: EGS
I messed around with it some more and this didn't work. The only way I could get it to turn completely off was to turn my car off first and then hold the button down to power off the camera. I would like to be able to power the camera off while the car is running. It seems like I'm going to have wire a switch into the power wires to do so. It blows my mind that the button you use to power off the camera only works in certain scenarios.
Should work exactly as I described. Not sure why yours does not.

Back