Viofo A129 Duo parking mode is bad

DashCamUser123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have had the Viofo Duo for a long time now and it consistently does not record motion continuously in Parking mode. It can leave gaps of a hour or more even in high traffic areas. It is totally NOT reliable. This is time and time again.

I know the alternative is low-bit rate continuous recording but good luck going thru ALL those files. If there is a software that will chain the files together and play it one after the other, that helps but that is still a LOT of footage to go thru.

It also mixes up and puts parking mode files into movies and diving videos in Parking Mode folder. Are ALL Viofo cams like this?

I already have FW v2.1 installed on this particular Duo cam. Why does Auto-Detection in Parking Mode not record all motion?

What's your parking environment at the most times? Is it a busy place?

What's your parking environment at the most times? Is it a busy place?
This particular spot is busy. Cars driving by (cross street) behind where I am parked. Regularly. Meaning the back end of my car is pointed at the road with many passing cars. People walking around. So, I expect the event detection to be triggered a lot. There will be some quiet moments in between as well.

There will be days or times of the day where it is not as busy. But today it was busy.

I am wondering what happens in this situation. Let's say my car is parked for 1 hour in auto-event detection. Let's say as I walk to my car and notice a scratch, get into the car and press the middle yellow button ( ! )to keep that footage. How much of the footage will it keep with the press of that ( ! ) button? I know, I do not have to press that ( ! ) button as it should have recorded the event anyways.

Last edited:
Please try this one: V2.2

It changed the buffered recording function to ordinary event detection. It may help.

Here is something I notice often, if not always.

Auto-Event Detection. I am walking to my car from a distance (walking towards the trunk as front of car is facing the other way) and open the trunk. That whole sequence is NOT recorded. Nothing. Why?

Low-bit Rate parking Mode. The above same scene will be recorded. All of it. It will record me walking to my car from far away all the way to my car and me opening the trunk. I expect this to happen as the cam is continuously recording in the low bit-rate Parking Mode.

Last edited:

It changed the buffered recording function to ordinary event detection. It may help.
What does that mean exactly? " It changed the buffered recording to ordinary event detection"? Do you mean, v2.2 removed the buffered recording function?

In this thread on Viofo site, it says that v2.2 still has Buffered Parking Mode.

It changed the buffered recording to ordinary event detection ?
Suppose, they mean this fact "The clips are one minute long and start exactly at the trigger point and not 15 seconds earlier". I.e. there is no buffer more.
The same destiny as with Plus: "Auto Event Detection .. was removed .. on the Plus model."

Last edited:

This is a custom firmware to fix the unstable issues that happened when using auto event detection.

There are often cases that one firmware has the same version as some other firmware. In fact, the build dates are different.

This is a custom firmware to fix the unstable issues that happened when using auto event detection.
There are often cases that one firmware has the same version as some other firmware. In fact, the build dates are different.
There was an essential question: "Do you mean, v2.2 removed the buffered recording function?"
on Your thesis: "v2.2 has changed buffered recording to ordinary event detection"
And there is no answer from VIOFO yet...

Last edited:
Here is something I notice often, if not always.

Auto-Event Detection. I am walking to my car from a distance (walking towards the trunk as front of car is facing the other way) and open the trunk. That whole sequence is NOT recorded. Nothing. Why?
Motion detectors work best when the motion is across the video frame. When the action is towards or away from the camera, there is much less change in the pixels so the motion is harder to detect.

I have a motion sensor light at the top of my stairs. I can walk almost all the way up the stairs without triggering it, because I am walking towards it.

Does that mean that it is officially the end of the buffered parking mode on all A129 DUO and PLUS ?
Is it that hard to get it to work ?

Does that mean that it is officially the end of the buffered parking mode on all A129 DUO and PLUS ?
They do not hear SUCH questions ...

Only A129 Plus doesn't have this function. A129 Duo still supports buffered parking mode.

The one I shared is custom firmware to help fix the specific problem.

I have been using low bit-rate in Parking Mode and it works really well. Not as many files as I expected. I can fast-forward thru each video. I will never go back to motion detection because it was never reliable.

@VIOFO-Support - from reading threads, your old cameras allowed 3 minute parking files in low bitrate. My new a129 duo camera only does 30 minute parking files on firmware 2.4. Any chance to release firmware to allow 3 minute park files again? Larger files create more risk. If memory card has glitch or camera have glitch, better to lose 3 minutes than 30 minutes?

Viofo support told me new cameras have a new wifi module, and I have confirmed, new wifi module is not supported in downgrade before firmware 2.2.

So choice now is use old version firmware, but wifi module not work, or use new firmware and get 30 minute park files.

@VIOFO-Support - from reading threads, your old cameras allowed 3 minute parking files in low bitrate. My new a129 duo camera only does 30 minute parking files on firmware 2.4. Any chance to release firmware to allow 3 minute park files again? Larger files create more risk. If memory card has glitch or camera have glitch, better to lose 3 minutes than 30 minutes?

Viofo support told me new cameras have a new wifi module, and I have confirmed, new wifi module is not supported in downgrade before firmware 2.2.

So choice now is use old version firmware, but wifi module not work, or use new firmware and get 30 minute park files.
How is reaching us by Ticket?

Back