VIOFO A129 Duo (Pre-production sample)

Harsh

Reaction score
Country
India
Received a pre-production sample of VIOFO's new dual-channel dash cam, the A129 Duo.

Specifications
  • Novatek NT96663 + Sony IMX291(front and rear)
  • 1080p @30fps (dual-channel mode), 1080p @60fps (single-channel mode)
  • Super-capacitor
  • 140° FOV (front and rear)
  • 2-inch screen
  • Bluetooth remote (emergency file lock)
  • Wi-Fi

A129- (1).jpg

Front camera (main unit)

A129-2.jpg

Menu button, Record button, Emergency lock button, Microphone ON/OFF button and View change button.

No Power button. Camera can be powered ON/OFF by long pressing the Menu button.

A129-6.jpg

A129-5.jpg

Reset button, Micro-SD card slot, holes for the microphone.

A129-7.jpg

Mini USB (power), AV-out, Rear camera port.

A129-3.jpg

A129-4.jpg

A129-8.jpg

A129-9.jpg

Last edited:
Continued...

A129-29.jpg

Mounts

Front camera GPS mount and rear camera mount

A129-51.jpg

A129-52.jpg

V1, V2 mounts for the A119/A119S and the new A129 mount

A129-61.jpg

Front camera mount

A129-30.jpg

A129-31.jpg

A new contact mechanism to connect the GPS mount to the camera. Fixed prongs feel a lot sturdier than both the Pogo pins (V1) and the Spring action (V2) designs. Definitely an upgrade.

The way the camera is held by the mount has also changed. The single T-shaped mounting slot seen on A119 series cameras has been replaced by four smaller L-shaped slots. Front camera slides into the mount sideways (right to left). If mounted to the left of the IRVM or sensor housing, requires half an inch of clearance to remove the camera from the mount.

A129-33.jpg

A129-32.jpg

Rear camera mount

A129-37.jpg

Last edited:
The vifo look good, and i do like that slide sideways on mount.
This in my car mean i would be able to mount a camera a tiny bit higher on the dotted area, a thing i cant do with the slide down on mount cameras, at least not with the wires coming off from the top of the camera.

A genuine disappointment that the rear camera plugs in the side of the main camera, and not the GPS mount.
As someone in a RHD country, have a cable sticking out of the visible side of the camera means, imo, that it will always look like a half-assed temporary install job.

Obviously not something that will annoy everyone, but I'm picky.

A genuine disappointment that the rear camera plugs in the side of the main camera, and not the GPS mount.
As someone in a RHD country, have a cable sticking out of the visible side of the camera means, imo, that it will always look like a half-assed temporary install job.

putting a digital signal via a multi pin connector on the mount would not be reliable

The vifo look good, and i do like that slide sideways on mount.
This in my car mean i would be able to mount a camera a tiny bit higher on the dotted area, a thing i cant do with the slide down on mount cameras, at least not with the wires coming off from the top of the camera.
The side-slide mount of the A129 feels a lot more secure than the front-slide of the A119. It moves much less when you press the buttons on the camera.

There is still a power cable coming from the top of the GPS mount (or the non-GPS mount), but it sits behind the camera unit.

You can choose to power the camera from the side USB socket if you wish to install the A129 at the very top of the screen.

I like how they have the 3 small seperate LEDs for REC, WiFi and MIC on the A129.

I find it quite hard during daytime to see the red LED that lights up the REC button on the A119 models so I'm hoping the lights are much easier to see during daytime with this configuration on the A129.

Can a 'beta tester' of the A129 confirm the LEDs are now more visible during sunny days or are they still hard to see? Thanks!

I like how they have the 3 small seperate LEDs for REC, WiFi and MIC on the A129.

I find it quite hard during daytime to see the red LED that lights up the REC button on the A119 models so I'm hoping the lights are much easier to see during daytime with this configuration on the A129.

Can a 'beta tester' of the A129 confirm the LEDs are now more visible during sunny days or are they still hard to see? Thanks!
On mine, they are clearly visible in sunshine, however only because they are fairly narrow angle, which means I can't see them while driving, I need to look from the front of the camera not the side. Not sure if this is good or not, but as long as you are parked then they are visible.

On mine, they are clearly visible in sunshine, however only because they are fairly narrow angle, which means I can't see them while driving, I need to look from the front of the camera not the side. Not sure if this is good or not, but as long as you are parked then they are visible.
Gotcha, thanks for explaining. I can deal with them being visible even if only from a narrow angle as long as they’re visible. For the life of me in bright sunlight I find seeing the way the button lights up across the a119 models near impossible. This is another nice change they made on the a129.

Obviously not something that will annoy everyone, but I'm picky.

The power cable looks much tidier coming out the top rather than the side.
Manufacturers should set the excuses to the side and get it sorted ... yeah? :p

Last edited:
Back