Viofo A129 factory sample day and night test

Is the front camera the same body as the A119 series? Any pictures of the rear camera available?

Is the front camera the same body as the A119 series? Any pictures of the rear camera available?
No, it has a new case and both cameras have the sensor from the A119S with a new improved lens.

Not sure what the status is at the moment so even if there is a picture of the rear camera, it may not be the final product. And the firmware used for the above videos is definitely not production firmware. Should be more information coming soon though.

Thanks both, front camera looks like it will be a very similar wedge shape.

I was thinking of getting the Mini 0906 for my new car soon but this one is interesting. Any idea when this will come out?

Will this have Parking Mode?

You're getting me all excited now...over a dashcam :p

3 pictures of the A129 - one with the mount and two with the menu ( wifi ) .

Thanks for the pictures Viofo Romania ( Facebook page ).

Attachments

• A129.jpg
    A129.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 105
  • A129_A.jpg
    A129_A.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 102
  • A129_B.jpg
    A129_B.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 97
I was thinking of getting the Mini 0906 for my new car soon but this one is interesting. Any idea when this will come out?
Expect it to cost a bit more than the 0906. The 0906 is a decent camera but it is built to be cheap, the A129 has better lenses and the rear camera is as good as the front while the 0906 only has an IMX323 sensor at the back.

Not having headlights at the back, that is often where you want the Starvis sensor, although it still cant see in full darkness, my tail lights don't give out enough light for it, needs the brake lights before it can see.

This was tail lights only under cloudy skies and trees, time is GMT, no daylight savings, the end of speed restriction signs are reflective and illuminated by the tail lights only:
TailLights.jpg

Maybe it needs some IR lamps on the back of the car to actually see in the dark...

Last edited:
Expect it to cost a bit more than the 0906. The 0906 is a decent camera but it is built to be cheap, the A129 has better lenses and the rear camera is as good as the front while the 0906 only has an IMX323 sensor at the back.

Don't mind paying a bit more for the A129 over the Mini 0906 but within reasonable amount.
The front camera on the 0906 is good but the back I'm disappointed with.

Not having headlights at the back, that is often where you want the Starvis sensor, although it still cant see in full darkness, my tail lights don't give out enough light for it, needs the brake lights before it can see.

This was tail lights only under cloudy skies and trees, time is GMT, no daylight savings, the end of speed restriction signs are reflective and illuminated by the tail lights only:
View attachment 37721

Maybe it needs some IR lamps on the back of the car to actually see in the dark...
Do you have a tinted rear screen? My A129 front camera can see better at night without headlights than my A129 rear camera, but I have a fairly dark screen tint which probably cuts out at least two stops of light.

Do you have a tinted rear screen? My A129 front camera can see better at night without headlights than my A129 rear camera, but I have a fairly dark screen tint which probably cuts out at least two stops of light.
It is factory standard glass with not much difference between front and rear but it is still thermally reflective, not clear glass.

I have also lost 1 stop by having a CPL fitted, but I have that on both cameras.

Two stops is quite a lot when you are near the limit, that is three quarters of the light gone.

It is factory standard glass with not much difference between front and rear but it is still thermally reflective, not clear glass.

I have also lost 1 stop by having a CPL fitted, but I have that on both cameras.

Two stops is quite a lot when you are near the limit, that is three quarters of the light gone.
To be honest I've not actually measured the light loss - I'll do that one day. I suppose it's closer to one stop now that I think about it. Two stops is half the light.

To be honest I've not actually measured the light loss - I'll do that one day. I suppose it's closer to one stop now that I think about it. Two stops is half the light.
Changing by one stop either halves or doubles the light.
Some cameras adjust in half stops, and our dashcams normally adjust EV in 1/3 stop intervals.
A CPL removes a little over half the light so is a 1 stop reduction.

Changing by one stop either halves or doubles the light.
Some cameras adjust in half stops, and our dashcams normally adjust EV in 1/3 stop intervals.
A CPL removes a little over half the light so is a 1 stop reduction.
You know I've been a keen photographer for many years, but I'm obviously out of practice. I think I was getting confused with aperture multiplication by root 2 and got it all wrong :oops:
I'll just say that my rear screen is a bit dark

Back to the A129, my factory sample is installed for testing next to my A119. No video to share yet while the firmware is still in development.

Back