Viofo A129 factory sample day and night test

From what we were told here, no, 1080 30fps front and back is highest it’ll do.

The a129 will have the sensor from the a119s front and rear but it’ll record 30fps and have no 60fps option like the a119s because of the dual channel set up. Again, this is just what we have been told on here thus far. Basically it’ll have good night quality as that’s where the a119s excels.
If used as a single camera with no rear camera connected then it can do 60fps.

Resolution is less than A119 or A119 Pro, so if you are trying to read number plates then they will need to be closer, however having a more sensitive sensor it can use faster shutter speeds meaning less motion blur so plates are readable at closer distances than they would be on an A119. Same situation as with the two A119S, except the recordings go onto one SD card and it has wifi.

New A129 Duo sample video on beta firmware
(not recorded by me)

Last edited:
York looks different at night @TonyM :p:D:D:LOL:

Just waiting on @viofo 's delivery to me to have a look and see what the real Preston looks like, lol..

Must say - even on early factory test firmware, this dash is looking really promising.

Paul.

Last edited:
Sorry if wrong place to post. But I currently have the A119s and would like a rear camera as well. Should I wait for the A129 or just add a A119 Pro/second A119s to my current setup? Ease of use, the A129 is the way to go I'd think, but would I be losing much compared to a two separate camera setup? Thanks.

If you can live with a larger camera in the rear sure just get another camera, if stealth are a consern then its a good chance to spend more hard earned money on a !129, and you can then 1 up on the Karma account by giving the old camera to a worthy person.

The 129 quality will be like an A119S so both would look very good whichever you choose.

Last edited:
I am not very concerned with stealth but if the quality is on par with two A119s, the A129 is a much simpler setup with wifi and bluetooth. Thank you both.

I am not very concerned with stealth but if the quality is on par with two A119s...
Quality will be similar, it does have a newer model of processor and the lens is improved, but the difference to the A119S is not big. You might prefer the higher resolution of an A119 for your front camera anyway.

A dual camera setup lets you save an event recording on both front and back cameras with a single press of the button on the front camera, or on the bluetooth remote. With separate cameras it is harder to save an event on the rear camera.

There is only one processor for two video streams, so each has to use a lower bitrate than if you have two separate cameras.

This is the same for most, if not all, dual camera systems.

A dual camera setup lets you save an event recording on both front and back cameras with a single press of the button on the front camera, or on the bluetooth remote. With separate cameras it is harder to save an event on the rear camera.

There is only one processor for two video streams, so each has to use a lower bitrate than if you have two separate cameras.

This is the same for most, if not all, dual camera systems.

Having used both the A119 and the A129, which would you feel most comfortable with in regards to capturing important details during an accident? Two A119s or the A129?

Having used both the A119 and the A129, which would you feel most comfortable with in regards to capturing important details during an accident? Two A119s or the A129?
Depends on if it is bright sunshine or dark, A119 has higher resolution which can help, but A129 is a faster sensor.

Mind you, if you don't need the extra resolution then the A129 can take some decent photos in the sunshine too:

Grass and road surface not blurry:
y4mHhMx8q08UtqfO9jtXxCWDXCN6j61rhIh2ndQ-Pj28-X_Sim8NF6yosYtJZGlkBnCSFIQdr_Qw3Z1KFtEevgrTcZH1nSyjXuVIm2r41PPC5VgK11Jnozwl0eWppv9Rzdywn-DrqdiNyJpwqXgKHQFpjWZesmWLwGgvfG7O1FpzGDFlf4Iv6bpSRjaLXdMPS7202fvaguD-Ju7JzG30yDqDw

Zero motion blur on the wheels of the McLaren:
y4m2Awg70OkjQV2DIJTJD7PZlQ-t2UcuTrWfybFIx6udina79vPVDwDmkiRVcgXh82fX65i1pxNvHvTL8VCiy7STDT9k-IretM5T60UmZOVIYJk1UMp7grcIkZzDM5rlP9YQcIGNvI_ePA0_ZbgSdcIKHagf4waZHFimeN-bgBdg5ZAu38Wy1Q8dIXvz5MJdBiRrLn25gFeZI1hAcxEQ0Hy1A

Last edited:

not much difference in their abilities as to what they capture, dual channel has the benefit of synced recordings and one save capturing both channels, neater install, easier to use in practice, dual channel are potentially lower bitrate per channel than you could do with two individual cameras, the differences on this hardware are not huge though so the differences are subtle, dual is limited to 2 x 1080p30, two singles could do 2 x 1080p60 which sounds better on paper but there are pluses and minuses to 30fps v 60fps anyway

two individual cameras adds some redundancy due to two power supplies, two memory cards but also adds some complexity in installation, bigger camera on the rear window etc so not as neat, difficult to manual save event files on the rear camera in most installations etc

It seems very impressive so far. Good camera Viofo. :)

I'm pretty set on getting the new A129 Duo, thank you so much for the kind review.

Now just to wait for the hard wire kit to be out before I pull the trigger!

I'm pretty set on getting the new A129 Duo, thank you so much for the kind review.

Now just to wait for the hard wire kit to be out before I pull the trigger!

Isn't hardwire kit the same as in a119? I don't think voltages change. Confirmation would help

Isn't hardwire kit the same as in a119? I don't think voltages change. Confirmation would help

no, they said the new HW kit is a 3-wire version that detects the ACC position, on the ignition so it auto-triggers it within the firmware

no, they said the new HW kit is a 3-wire version that detects the ACC position, on the ignition so it auto-triggers it within the firmware
Wonder if it will also work with the vicopower plus as well.

Back