Viofo A129 Impression

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Thanks to @viofo for the dash cam to test, provide feedbacks, and help others! :)

Since there’s already a lot of unboxing footage, photos, etc. from other users like @Paul Iddon and @c4rc4m, let’s just skip to my impression and opinions as well as some video footage below.

As usual, if you’ve used any of the Viofo A118 and A119 series, you’re probably familiar with the wedge shape design that a lot of users like for it’s discreteness. The build quality is pretty good as well, just like any other Viofo dash cams.

Front camera is not much bigger than the Viofo A119/A119S dash cams; the rear camera is about half the length (a little bit longer, but not much…) of the front camera; tiny enough to be discrete for the rear window.

The negatives I’ll point out right now is the cable connecting the front camera to the rear camera; as other reviewers might mention it’s quite thick and a bit more difficult to tuck under the headliner or weather seal guards compared to other dual channel dash cams out there.

No surprise here, the front and rear video footage is recorded on a separate file, both clips will have audio if you decide to record the videos with the mic turned on.

Video quality is pretty clear during the daytime, night time is decent too. Great all-around dash cam for sure. Does an excellent job for the price point of $170 for a dual channel dash cam.

For the app, if you used the WR1 from Viofo before, it’s quite similar. You’re able to connect your phone to the dash cam via WiFi connection and change settings from the app ONLY if you stop the video recording. Once you’re done with changing the settings via the app, the dash cam should go back to normal recording mode. I did not test the download speed of the videos, but there is a 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz WiFi mode; not sure will that improve download speed or not.

Note: I haven’t tested the parking mode yet, but I can see that you’re able to turn it on in the settings with the FPS selection. There is an upcoming bluetooth button that allows the user to stick it on their dash, steering wheel, or wherever it might be convenient to capture a moment from the dash cam when driving. There is also a new hardwiring kit that will enable parking mode.

Now for some sample videos (note: rear window is tinted; the Viofo A129 is installed on my 2001 BMW 330ci):
Foggy weather condition
Front:

Rear:

Clear weather condition
Front:

Rear:

Night time highway
Front:

Rear:

Back