VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if the modified 6UJ boosts front camera from 16-24mb/s to 26-27...then rear camera would be dropped down to 17 or 18mb/s? Is that low quality? Would setting both cameras to 22 mbps be more idea? Or will the front one suffer a lot?

Sounds like Modified firmware is a trade off. Either give front better quality at expense of rear camera. Or rear better quality at expense of front?
Yes, the front/rear balance is a trade off. The good thing about the MOD FW by @BCHobbyist is that you can choose the balance that you want. With MOD 2Uj you can have 22Mbps front and back, which is an increase over the 20Mbps of the standard firmware. Some people will prefer to have as high a bitrate as possible on the front since that is probably the most important camera. Personally that's why I'm using 6Uk on my camera.

Suggest you start recording your own test footage and SEE the quality difference in Sharpness alone using lower Bitrate MOD such as 4Uj.
Image Quality varies greatly from identical A129 models even with the same Lens due to lack of precise Focus adjustments on production line. The center focus can be blurry/soft but when using Strong Sharpness improves quality but on perfectly Focused Lens Strong Sharpness creates 'halo' outline effect. This was main IQ issue for over a year on all VIOFO Cams until modified firmware reduced Sharpness levels.

Stock Firmware Footage at 16 - 24Mb/s compared against 26 - 27Mb/s show noticeable improvement and best revealed by recording and comparing yourself, YouTube's samples are inaccurate.

Ok so I need to pick your brain a little bit. Sorry, as I'm new to Viofo Brand. Please bear with me.

1. So I was reviewing some of the video from my A129 Duo (Front + Rear). I noticed a Halo Effect on the Front Camera caused by the CFL Filter in daylight / dusk situation. See attached image. Is it normal to have said "Halo" effect from said CFL Filter in daylight / dusk?

Note: I also have WDR enabled along with the CFL filter. Do I need to DISABLE WDR? Also, my front windshield has 80% tint on it, too. (Decreases sunlight 20%)

Take MOD-6Uj for a test drive and compare against your own previous stock footage.

Code:
                               Firmware v1.50                  Modified FW 4Uj
                          1080@60fps     1080@30fps         60fps+30fps     1080@30fps
Menu                      Single Cam      Dual Cam          Single Cam      Dual Cam
Settings                    Front       Front    Rear         Front       Front     Rear
Bit Rate Low               20.1Mbps     10.2     10.1        24.6Mbps      24.5     20.1
Bit Rate High                20.1       16.3     16.2          24.6        24.4     20.3
BR Low Wifi 2.4Ghz           20.1        8.0      7.0          24.5         8.3      6.9

So if I understand correctly, the FW4UJ is the most balanced modified firmware? Essentially giving equal bitrate to both cameras? Is this firmware stable?

From the chart, and again correct me if I am misstating things, but the stock 1.50 gives the front and rear cameras a low of 10 and high of 16 for mbps?
Whereas, rour modified firmware ups the bitrate to a constant 24 mbps on front and a constant 20 on the rear camera?

Last edited:
Ok so I need to pick your brain a little bit. Sorry, as I'm new to Viofo Brand. Please bear with me.

1. So I was reviewing some of the video from my A129 Duo (Front + Rear). I noticed a Halo Effect on the Front Camera caused by the CFL Filter in daylight / dusk situation. See attached image. Is it normal to have said "Halo" effect from said CFL Filter in daylight / dusk?

Note: I also have WDR enabled along with the CFL filter. Do I need to DISABLE WDR? Also, my front windshield has 80% tint on it, too. (Decreases sunlight 20%)

View attachment 44653

So if I understand correctly, the FW4UJ is the most balanced modified firmware? Essentially giving equal bitrate to both cameras? Is this firmware stable?

From the chart, and again correct me if I am misstating things, but the stock 1.50 gives the front and rear cameras a low of 10 and high of 16 for mbps?
Whereas, rour modified firmware ups the bitrate to a constant 24 mbps on front and a constant 20 on the rear camera?
Did you remove both of the protective plastic films from the CPL? There is one on both sides of the CPL. Is the effect there without the CPL?

Did you remove both of the protective plastic films from the CPL? There is one on both sides of the CPL. Is the effect there without the CPL?

Plastic removed on both sides of CFL. Will try to cruise around without the Filter and see. Pretty certain the halo is from the CFL. Which is why I wonder if I need to turn off WDR. Maybe WDR is trying to compensate for lighting changes and the CFL is overkill with both features working in unison.

My window has tint on it..but doubt that would be the deciding factor. Will report back later as I'll do a drive without CFL and check to see if halo is gone.

I looked at other videos and the Halo wasn't there the entire time. You can definitely see colors from the lighting, which again I think is the CFL filter. Gray outside so don't think I'll get a good test of CFL vs no CFL. Really need to see if disabling WDR with CFL takes away that Halo.

The rainbow effect is due to the tinted film, unavoidable with the CPL.

View attachment 44653

The rainbows you are seeing in your windshield is a phenomenon in physics called birefringence. Birefringence is a double refraction caused by the interaction between the tint on your windscreen which is polarizing the light in combination with the CPL which is also polarizing the light, so it's like having two polarizers which is not good. (See also) You will likely notice the same thing if you wear polarized sunglasses and look through your windscreen. With your particular windshield glass you may not be able to avoid this problem if using a CPL.

See this article for a more comprehensive explanation: https://www.revantoptics.com/blog/why-youre-seeing-rainbows-in-car-windows/

You can obtain excellent results eliminating windshield reflections from your dash cam by installing a good dash mat instead of a CPL. There are a few good threads about that here on DCT. HERE is an example of one in use (with no CPL) and a photo of a dash mat further down in the same thread. There are other DCT threads specifically dedicated to dash mats.

Last edited:
@BCHobbyist always recommends WDR to be turned off and EV set to 0 with his mods if memory serves me correctly.

Also the bitrate is 44 shared so 2uj would be the most balanced firmware, shares 22mbps with each unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rainbows you are seeing in your windshield is a phenomenon in physics called birefringence. Birefringence is a double refraction caused by the interaction between the tint on your windscreen which is polarizing the light in combination with the CPL which is also polarizing the light, so it's like having two polarizers which is not good. (See also) You will likely notice the same thing if you wear polarized sunglasses and look through your windscreen. With your particular windshield glass you may not be able to avoid this problem if using a CPL.

See this article for a more comprehensive explanation: https://www.revantoptics.com/blog/why-youre-seeing-rainbows-in-car-windows/

You can obtain excellent results eliminating windshield reflections from your dash cam by installing a good dash mat instead of a CPL. There are a few good threads about that here on DCT. HERE is an example of one in use (with no CPL) and a photo of a dash mat further down in the same thread. There are other DCT threads specifically dedicated to dash mats.

1. So will removing the CFL filter solve the issue? Or will I always have some polarization due to the tint?
  2. What about WDR? Recommend on or Off with Tint? What about CFL? Will disabling WDR correct the birefringence at all?

Last edited:
WDR won't change anything, either remove the CPL filter, or remove the tint, the tint and the filter together is the issue, the CPL is only about taming reflections from the dash, see if you even have that issue before going any further

WDR won't change anything, either remove the CPL filter, or remove the tint, the tint and the filter together is the issue, the CPL is only about taming reflections from the dash, see if you even have that issue before going any further

Thanks. Will do. I believe you are correct that it's the CFL filter. I'll take it off and see what happens. I know when I placed CFL on my rear camera as a test, I got that same halo affect most likely due to tint. So pretty certain the same problem exists with tint + CFL on front camera. Rear tint is much darker at 20% (blocks 80% light). Front is 80% blocks 20% light.

1. So will removing the CFL filter solve the issue? Or will I always have some polarization due to the tint?
  2. What about WDR? Recommend on or Off with Tint? What about CFL? Will disabling WDR correct the birefringence at all?

Yes, removing the CPL, as @jokiin has already explained should eliminate the rainbow effect. My post was very clear on that, as were the links I provided. No, WDR will not correct the rainbows. WDR has nothing whatsoever to do with this problem.

The tint is entirely the culprit in your front windshield which is made from laminated safety glass. Your rear windows and side windows are made from tempered glass which is a different kettle of fish which causes its own set of birefringence issues such as patterns in the glass (and rainbows) when seen through a polarizer (and or tint).

It sounds from your remarks as if you haven't read the article I linked to, or maybe you didn't read it carefully. If you take the time to do that you'll understand this issue better.

I see that for some odd reason you linked to a dead, parked domain up for sale - birefringence.com rather than any of the links I provided. Maybe that's the reason for your confusion about this? As suggested, try the links embedded in my earlier post. :)

Edit: Oops, my bad, I'm the one who posted that bad link, so it was my fault! Never Mind...:facepalm::banghead: (It's fixed now.)

Last edited:
if you're going to Google for help make sure you're searching for CPL, you're not going to get any useful results looking for CFL

View attachment 44653

My advice for your image quality issues :
  • load MOD-4Uj for 130 FOV or 4Uk for 140 FOV Lens, both increase Bitrate higher than stock FW.
  • if the rear window is also tinted glass suggest using 6Uj and ignore rear camera quality.
  • leave WDR off to reduce motion blur but lower Lens angle slightly to increase road brightness.
  • to reduce that colorful circular wave pattern on tinted windshield remove Circular Polarizing Lens Filter , if significantly reduced without CPL consider slightly rotating CPL glass 1mm either way as a test (probably won't help).
  • all tinted windows cause image quality issues , to compensate for darkened image remove CPL, aim camera lower and order 140 FOV uncoated brighter Lens, many enable WDR for dark rear tinted windows.

Don't expect perfect video when tinted windshield reduces brightness degrading image quality from any Dash Cam especially at night.

My advice for your image quality issues :
  • load MOD-4Uj for 130 FOV or 4Uk for 140 FOV Lens, both increase Bitrate higher than stock FW.
  • if the rear window is also tinted glass suggest using 6Uj and ignore rear camera quality.
  • leave WDR off to reduce motion blur but lower Lens angle slightly to increase road brightness.
  • to reduce that colorful circular wave pattern on tinted windshield remove Circular Polarizing Lens Filter , if significantly reduced without CPL consider slightly rotating CPL glass 1mm either way as a test (probably won't help).
  • all tinted windows cause image quality issues , to compensate for darkened image remove CPL, aim camera lower and order 140 FOV uncoated brighter Lens, many enable WDR for dark rear tinted windows.
Don't expect perfect video when tinted windshield reduces brightness degrading image quality from any Dash Cam especially at night.

My rear window is tinted and videos from rear cam are dark and grainy. I just ordered a CPL for the rear because night videos are really 'washed out' by car's headlights. Is it not a good idea to put a CPL on the rear cam?

My rear window is tinted and videos from rear cam are dark and grainy. I just ordered a CPL for the rear because night videos are really 'washed out' by car's headlights. Is it not a good idea to put a CPL on the rear cam?
Circular Polarizing Lens Filter darken the image slightly but worth it if you want less dash reflection in the recorded video. Owners wanting the maximum brightness for accident evidence and don't collect footage for other uses prefer zero CPL. Other Dash Cam brands don't even support CPL Filters marketing instead for brighter image. I always recommend using CPL for more realistic scene unless you have tinted windshield. My A129 Duo has CPL Filters on both Front and Rear cameras to reduce the horrible horizontal plastic surface reflections. Order the new Larger CPL Filter for 140 FOV Lens but also for any future unannounced wider angle Lens, it works perfectly on narrower 130 FOV Lens.

CPL is cheap, order it for both cameras, its most noticeable effect is on bright sunny days with sun shining from side to reduce/eliminate horizontal surface reflections in recorded video. It does help with rear view headlight glare but not as much as you'd like. I suppose its time for a CPL on/off video.

Last edited:
Circular Polarizing Lens Filter darken the image slightly but worth it if you want less dash reflection in the recorded video. Owners wanting the maximum brightness for accident evidence and don't collect footage for other uses prefer zero CPL. Other Dash Cam brands don't even support CPL Filters marketing instead for brighter image. I always recommend using CPL for more realistic scene unless you have tinted windshield. My A129 Duo has CPL Filters on both Front and Rear cameras to reduce the horrible horizontal plastic surface reflections. Order the new Larger CPL Filter for 140 FOV Lens but also for any future unannounced wider angle Lens, it works perfectly on narrower 130 FOV Lens.

My front cam is crystal clear int the day and night with the CPL. I have a few reflection issues with my rear cam on sunny days, but as I said at night rear camera is grainy and really not good quality at all. I'm considering cutting out a little of the tint for to create a 'window' for the rear cam.

Where can I find the 'new larger CPL'? This is the one I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01N1Y66KV
How do I know what FOV my lens is? I remember seeing a post about that but can't seem to find it right now.

Back