VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

This side by side comparison produced interesting results. Both cameras have the same F1.6 coated Lens. Color saturation and white balance were left at default levels for both cameras, only sharpness and bitrate were modified.
To me, it seems like the A119 Pro is a little clearer, at least at reading license tags. Am I missing something?

To me, it seems like the A119 Pro is a little clearer, at least at reading license tags. Am I missing something?
The A119 Pro with 1440p resolution will have more clarity and detail but the clips contained too few cars, recreating video now. Wanted to demonstrate how close the A129 at 1080p can get to 1440p.

The A119 Pro with 1440p resolution will have more clarity and detail but the clips contained too few cars, recreating video now. Wanted to demonstrate how close the A129 at 1080p can get to 1440p.
Thank you, BCHobbyist. I truly appreciate all of the hard work you're putting into these mods for us Viofo owners. :)

BCHobbyist hi!!
And you did not check !!!
Will the AV output work if the monitor is removed?
Exactly AV output !!
Sam dvr will work, I checked, but AV?
I can not check !!!

If everything is OK, then removes the monitor, and installs a radiator there !!!
Good idea to test A129 with 2" LCD disconnected and external monitor connected to AV out port.
I lost my AV-out 4-pole diagram, the info was posted in some old thread. I used a 3-pole video cable and left a 1 mm gap when inserting.
Always good to have an extra space heater even if its a shorted out A129.

This side by side comparison produced interesting results revealing how close A129 1080p comes to 1440p resolution detail. Both cameras have the same F1.6 coated Lens. Color saturation and white balance were left at default levels for both cameras, only sharpness and bitrate were modified. Notice red, blue, yellow color difference between A119 Pro compared to A129.

Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) has image quality side effects as shown in this night footage comparison. Some scenes and conditions may benefit but most of the time it degrades video with glare, blur and graininess. I never use the feature and can always brighten video in post-editing when needed. Does anyone leave WDR enabled ?

Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) has image quality side effects as shown in this night footage comparison. Some scenes and conditions may benefit but most of the time it degrades video with glare, blur and graininess. I never use the feature and can always brighten video in post-editing when needed. Does anyone leave WDR enabled ?

Do you know how to turn the WDR down a bit?
Novatek WDR can be good, it just isn't on the A129 or Gitup G3, not sure why.

Does anyone leave WDR enabled ?
Yes, I'm using WDR because I'm using my dash cam mostly to catch reg plates in case of accident and I've noticed on many occasions that with WDR I can read reg plates much better, mostly in shadows when there is sunny weather and driving against the sun. I agree during the night the image quality is worse but any dash cam will have huge problem to read reg plates at night when other cars are moving slower or faster than mine so for me better reg plates reading is more important during the day and I prefer WDR on. Also I have a feeling that without WDR image contrast is a bit too high.

Yes, I'm using WDR because I'm using my dash cam mostly to catch reg plates in case of an accident and I've noticed on many occasions that with WDR I can read reg plates much better...
Wow! I did not know that. This could be very helpful in the U.S.

Wow! I did not know that. This could be very helpful in the U.S.
Yeah I know, very funny! I wrote about reg plates because many people wants just beautiful colours etc to make nice videos while driving maybe in nice places. I don't care about it. I care about sharp and bright image!

I also don't understand why manufacturers, like Viofo and others, go to all this trouble to build in WDR and nobody uses it. :)

Do you know how to turn the WDR down a bit?
Novatek WDR can be good, it just isn't on the A129 or Gitup G3, not sure why.
WDR doesn't work well with current Firmware Gamma_LUT and Color Profile Tables using Sony IMX291 2MP Night Vision Exmor Sensor. The WDR level does seem too high for A129, even if the WDR sensitivity was reduced it still increases motion blurring and that is reason enough to never use it. Any kind of window Tint as shown in Rear camera footage increases WDR glare, graininess and blur including using CPL Filter.

These budget cameras perform well but adding more and more internal image processing after capture may have other side effects so I disable them. Getting perfect GoPro video quality is the goal but doubtful the 2-MegaPixel sensor can ever do it.

Yeah I know, very funny! I wrote about reg plates because many people wants just beautiful colours etc to make nice videos while driving maybe in nice places. I don't care about it. I care about sharp and bright image!
You will get better results aiming the Lens down during the day for maximum plate brightness and readability.
Recording realistic video is always my goal, I don't crash often and not in Law Enforcement so collecting plates isn't a requirement. My preference is to avoid over-sharpening and over-exposing just to read a plate. Many drivers like yourself prefer custom settings for just accident evidence and never collect drive footage for entertainment which is understandable and the reason the Menu options include On and Off. There is no perfect setting, choice is always best.
Personally I find it far easier to disable WDR instead of changing it every night.

Hi. How to improve the quality of the videos at night? Is there a mod fw? Thanks.

Hi. How to improve the quality of the videos at night? Is there a mod fw? Thanks.
Always disable WiFi before driving for best video quality.
Suggest loading modified firmware that works best with your A129 focus, try MOD-6Uq or 6Ur to determine best center sharpness. If you want brightest night video remove CPL filter and/or enable WDR but expect glare and increased motion blur.

Always disable WiFi before driving for best video quality.
Suggest loading modified firmware that works best with your A129 focus, try MOD-6Uq or 6Ur to determine best center sharpness. If you want brightest night video remove CPL filter and/or enable WDR but expect glare and increased motion blur.

Thanks!

BCHobbyist!!
I do not like how A129 works on AV output.
This is how my auto monitor shows.

Attachments

• DVR A129.jpg
    DVR A129.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 57
BCHobbyist!!
I do not like how A129 works on AV output.
This is how my auto monitor shows.
The A129 AV-out port is only 640x480 resolution and is not 16:9 format so is cropped on most external monitors.
It doesn't even have enough resolution for precise Focus adjustments.

The A129 AV-out port is only 640x480 resolution and is not 16:9 format
Yes, according to the JNovatekDec.jar program, there is such a mode there, but according to it there is such a mode in my working DVR, however everything is ok there !!

Yes, according to the JNovatekDec.jar program, there is such a mode there, but according to it there is such a mode in my working DVR, however everything is ok there !!
set the external monitor to 640x480 resolution manually, it usually puts black bars on both sides.

Back