VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Hello,

I have a problem with my 129 duo. It doesn't matter if I use the original firmware or a modified firmware. as soon as I set the parking mode to a time lapse like for example 1, 2 or 5 FPS the camera crash when starting the car and only works again after a restart.
What can i do?

Last edited:
Hi, which modified sw is the best for my new dashcam A129? I am using only front without rear camera. I prefer strong sharpness, the best details and high quality video.

Hello,

I have a problem with my 129 duo. It doesn't matter if I use the original firmware or a modified firmware. as soon as I set the parking mode to a time lapse like for example 1, 2 or 5 FPS the camera crash when starting the car and only works again after a restart.
What can i do?
The A129 Parking Time Laspe Modes only work when 3-wire Hardwire power cable is connected to camera side port not the GPS mount. None of the Parking Time Lapse Modes work with Power Banks.

Hi, which modified sw is the best for my new dashcam A129? I am using only front without rear camera. I prefer strong sharpness, the best details and high quality video.
suggest A129 MOD-5Ur or 6Ur or 7Ur for Medium Sharpness,
suggest A129 MOD-5Up or 6Up or 7Up for Strong Sharpness,

My auto monitor does not change the resolution of 1024 * 600 and that's it !!
untested solution = edit last firmware 640x480 display resolution entry to match your vehicle LCD panel 1024x600
offset = 00604260
width = (old-640) > 1024
height = (old-480) > 600
fps = 30
bitrate = 12,288

The A129 Parking Time Laspe Modes only work when 3-wire Hardwire power cable is connected to camera side port not the GPS mount. None of the Parking Time Lapse Modes work with Power Banks.

Iam use the hardwire kit 3 and the powercable is already connected to the camera side port. The low bitrate parking mode works fine. All other parking modes don't work and crash :(

Thanks a lot guys for your advices[emoji106]. Ratlik

Iam use the hardwire kit 3 and the powercable is already connected to the camera side port. The low bitrate parking mode works fine. All other parking modes don't work and crash :(
I suspect the 3-wire kit isn't connected to correct fuse or weak ground. The Hardwire kit needs to sense voltage drop before Parking Time Lapse Mode will start. Try and TAP another fuse circuit and not one that shares keyless entry.

If you're using MOD fw only low bitrate parking mode works, am I correct?

If you're using MOD fw only low bitrate parking mode works, am I correct?

I have try the 2-10fps parking modes with normal fw and a few mod firmwares always crash when I switch on the ignition. The lowbitrate parking mode works every times with all firmwares.

I have try the 2-10fps parking modes with normal fw and a few mod firmwares always crash when I switch on the ignition. The lowbitrate parking mode works every times with all firmwares.
After loading Stock or MOD-PKr Firmware always select Menu Default Settings to RESET all previous firmware values.

The A129 issue points to Parking Mode not detecting ignition event, very common issue with incorrect fuse circuit TAP.
With 3-wire Hardwire Kit connected to camera side port and Parking Time Lapse 5fps Mode selected and vehicle parked for over 10 mins does A129 record visual motion events as expected ? If nothing is recorded the Hardwire Kit isn't getting correct signal from fusebox circuit TAP.
What 3-wire Kit is connected ? newest Viofo version ?
What battery cutoff voltage is selected ?
What circuit is Hardwire Kit using ?
What vehicle type ? hybrid ?
What age of battery ?

Last edited:
After weeks of testing A129 Duo at 27-33 Mb/s with no noticeable internal temperature change and the recently revealed new Viofo A119 V3 stock hidden 4K video bitrate of 32.2 Mb/s . . . decided to remove all my suggested temperature use limits. As expected the soon to be tested 4K - 3840x2160p resolution A129 Pro WiFi Dashcam increases Bitrate for the much higher 4K resolution to maintain fine details, 32 Mb/s is the perfect level for 2K maximum detail, estimate 36 Mb/s for 4K max.

I suggest everyone start tracking the price of 128 & 256 GB micro SD memory cards rated U3 for 4K video 90 MB/s write speeds.
If you think 1080p generates large MP4 files wait till 4K starts recording 480 MB 2min clips using H.265 HEVC codec compression.

Last edited:
5.5 minutes 4K/60 / 100 mbit / H.264 = 3.8 GB that i think add up to a write speed of 12 - 13 MB/s, far less than what fast U3 cards can do for write speed.

32 Mb/s is the perfect level for 2K maximum detail, estimate 36 Mb/s for 4K max.
4K has twice as many pixels as "2K", so if 32Mb/s is perfect for 2K then we will want 32 x 2 = 64Mb/s for 4K :)

(Unless it is a Blackvue camera, they use 12Mb/s or 25 in extreme mode!)

4K has twice as many pixels as "2K", so if 32Mb/s is perfect for 2K then we will want 32 x 2 = 64Mb/s for 4K :)

(Unless it is a Blackvue camera, they use 12Mb/s or 25 in extreme mode!)
glad you said it first because that is exactly the MOD i'm testing first once the cam is in my hands, imagine 64 Mb/s and everyone is afraid to load 26 Mb/s . . . @gse and I will Alpha test these extremes.
there's a reason 128 GB micoSD cards are marketed as 4K Ultra HD rated U3 write speed and probably required for my new 4K bitrate MODs.

glad you said it first because that is exactly the MOD i'm testing first once the cam is in my hands, imagine 64 Mb/s and everyone is afraid to load 26 Mb/s . . . @gse and I will Alpha test these extremes.
there's a reason 128 GB micoSD cards are marketed as 4K Ultra HD rated U3 write speed and probably required for my new 4K bitrate MODs.
I'm not sure that modding the Pro for higher bitrates than standard will be wise :unsure:
4K cameras tend to run fairly hot at standard bitrates!

But why do you think you will need to mod it to achieve a decent bitrate?
It is Viofo's heavyweight premium camera, not a lightweight budget camera that needs some overclocking to perform well ;)

The new 2019 Viofo Dashcams using Novatek NT96670 chipset and new firmware now support High Efficiency Video Coding H.265 HEVC compression. The difference between H.264 and H.265 is the reduced video file size and increased detail using HEVC codec. Depending on the lighting and scene composition H.264 uses 16x16 macro blocks to compress areas with no details such as sky or road but H.265 uses 64x64 variable blocks to further compress low detail areas. Along with other improvements H.265 also provides bitrate reduction as much as 50% compared to H.264 while maintaining the same image quality with slightly increased detail and brightness.

If H.265 HEVC 50% bitrate reduction holds true using the new firmware and the posted 4K RAW H.265 video at 32.2 Mb/s has been reduced by 50% that means the equivalent MP4 H.264 bitrate would actually be 64 Mb/s . . . ? impossible !
The downside of higher H.265 compression is the increased chipset processing power and higher performance demand while viewing footage.

Back