VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Interesting. What's the benefit of IR over a regular camera?
Rear camera doesn't benefit from the headlights light, so IR would be useful.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

you can capture mice easier, also aim camera inside for interior Parking Mode Protection in total darkness.
Mousecam?

I'll wait for your separate IR thread to read more about this development.

The weather finally cooperated long enough to complete my Review of the new functional Infrared Rear Camera. Wasn't able to access any matching IR Firmware (Alpha or Beta) so used FW 1.50 with a few MODs to see what happens.
Once I get the appropriate firmware will post all footage on separate thread :
VIOFO A129 Duo new design Rear Cameras including Infrared
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...design-rear-cameras-including-infrared.37628/

I see in the test footage videos WDR is set to off. Is it recommended not to use WDR? I'm currently running A129 MOD-2Uj.

Thanks,
Jamie

I see in the test footage videos WDR is set to off. Is it recommended not to use WDR? I'm currently running A129 MOD-2Uj.

Thanks,
Jamie
Everyone should enable WDR for a week of more to notice any useful difference. You may discover as I did there is very little to gain, but under some lighting conditions it helps improve dark shadows.

I have the 3hwk and the mod firmware and parking mode refuses to work on low bitrate or time lapse, my 64gb card has filled up from 9.30 this morning with 507mb files, before the mode firmware I was getting front 190mb and rear 160mb files.
I read a few pages back that Viofo have found a fault on parking mode? why are my files so big?

I have the 3hwk and the mod firmware and parking mode refuses to work on low bitrate or time lapse, my 64gb card has filled up from 9.30 this morning with 507mb files, before the mode firmware I was getting front 190mb and rear 160mb files.
I read a few pages back that Viofo have found a fault on parking mode? why are my files so big?
The modified firmware runs both front & back cameras at higher bitrate than the standard Viofo firmware, so the file sizes will increase accordingly.

I've had too many parking mode issues with V1.50 and modified FW derived from V1.50. I'm going to roll back to MOD-4Uf which was the last Mod based on V1.42. Then I can use the low-bitrate parking mode again.

Last edited:
Interesting. What's the benefit of IR over a regular camera?
The IR cameras are made to be mounted on the windshield and to record inside car, never outside car. The idea is to use it in Taxi, Uber, or for people which want to record what is happening in the car, usually recording from the front of the car to the back of the car.

enjoy,
Mtz

The IR cameras are made to be mounted on the windshield and to record inside car, never outside car. The idea is to use it in Taxi, Uber, or for people which want to record what is happening in the car, usually recording from the front of the car to the back of the car.

enjoy,
Mtz
Thanks for clarifying the purpose of the new camera unit. Did I read correctly that the IR camera comes with a much shorter remote camera cable?

I expect it to be around 50-55cm.

enjoy,
Mtz

The modified firmware runs both front & back cameras at higher bitrate than the standard Viofo firmware, so the file sizes will increase accordingly.
But that's a massive increase in file size!
Where can I get the v1. 42 firmware??

I currently have the brand new Zerogogo R2 dashcam that had front and rear facing cams in one unit, rear cam has 4 ir lights and is intended for passenger vehicles, it does seem to light up the interior of the car quite well.

But that's a massive increase in file size!
Where can I get the v1. 42 firmware??
You're right - the file size increase should not have been that high from changing FW alone. Did you change the loop duration from 1 minute to 3 minutes?

I always have it at 3 mins, was 190mb, now 507mb! I swapped back to standard firmware v1. 5, but would like v1. 42 where parking mode works, lol

I always have it at 3 mins, was 190mb, now 507mb! I swapped back to standard firmware v1. 5, but would like v1. 42 where parking mode works, lol
507MB is about right for 3min at 24Mbps front camera high bitrate
190MB works out at about 8Mbps, which would have been low-bitrate parking mode

I went back to MOD-4Uf today which is based on v1.42 where the parking mode works, but also has the modified IQ which I like.

Last edited:
Back