VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

1. Sorry, I don't use parking mode as I've not got the dashcam hardwired

2. Generally speaking, the much higher bit rate of the mod does make number plates and signs easier to read sooner and make them more clear in the footage I've reviewed.

According to the modified FW download page, all 7 parking modes only work for the parking mode specific version of the modified FW, which has the same bit rates as the stock FW - so they wouldn't provide much of an improvement in terms of video quality over stock.

BCHobbyist, do you have any plans to make modified firmwares for the new Viofo MT1 system?

Full specs are not yet available, but I would not be surprised if Viofo sticks with a subpar-quality, 12 Mbit/s per camera default bitrate. I asked them whether it would be possible to make bitrate user-selectable.
how popular is that model now?

How does surrounding detail look? I realize picking up the foliage in more detail is praiseworthy, but does this come at the cost of anything else? Can license plates be read in the same lighting? Street Signs? Able to post any screenshot comparisons by chance?
The A129 MODs only work with continuous Low Bitrate Parking Mode, not the Auto Event Detection setting.
For full Parking Mode support use official firmware or try MOD-PWk - Parking Mode Default Bitrates = Average Detail = Small MP4 size

Sure. I'm using FWA129_MOD-9Wm_v1.90+29F+15RMbs+Sharp32+Dice.bin , plus a Sandisk Endurance 256 GB SD card, which gives me a good duration of recording despite the higher bitrate (29 mbps vs 16mbps for the stock FW).

I've tried to match the location to make it as fair as possible, but obviously there's some difference in terms of time of day/sun angle as the clips were filmed a month apart.

Stock FW:
View attachment 59062

MOD-9Wm FW:
View attachment 59063

For number plates, I've taken the frame grab as near to each other as possible location wise and have picked the first clearest number plate frame. For the stock firmware, this was the only frame near legible, for the modified firmware there were several frames when the vehicle was closer where the plate could be partially read and so a good guess at the plate could be made.
The MODs also eliminate the over sharpness of official firmware which these photos highlight well.

The most recent MOD is not necessarily the best. As I recall, there were A LOT of different MODs and some fared better than others, or were tailored to specific needs. User beware.

In general, I think all the MODs that I tested were a noticeable IQ improvement over the stock Viofo FW. However I can't comment on any impact on the long-term reliability.
All my MODs still work perfectly on all my cams A119S , A119B 2K, A119 Pro 2K, A129 1080p Duo. None of my dashcams have failed running MODs at max Bitrates of 26-33 Mbps and all hold their focus after being manually corrected when noticed after shipping from China. Parking Mode doesn't work perfectly on A129 MODs (must use MOD-PW?) but all A119 series work fine.

how popular is that model now?
(Re: Viofo MT1 motorcycle dashcam)

No idea. I was getting fed up with the Innovv K2 system at the time of that post, but eventually got it working with 100% reliability. Was about at the point of abandoning the Innovv K2 and trying the Viofo MT1.

Turns out that several of the early K2 power supply designs were unreliable. They would cause the dashcam to shut down in warm to hot weather. Innovv got that fixed in mid-2020.

Thanks again for your earlier efforts. I've been using one of your modified, higher-bitrate firmwares in my Viofo A129 Duo for over 2 years for increased image quality.

Back