Durga Bali

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All,

I recently a month back bought the Viofo A129 Plus duo cam and setup in my car. First few days I saw issues of failing to record when I used Kexin and Sandisc Ultra cards. Reached to customer support and they suggested me to try with Samsung Pro Endurance or Viofo sd cards. So, I got the Samsung Pro Endurance and it looked like working fine for few days but recently failed again to record.

And I noticed one thing that after every trip I remove the sd card to review the footage in my pc and insert it before I go for next trip. This would be usually end of the day and next day or after some days as I don't commute daily. So, few times I forget to insert the sd card and start the car which starts the dash cam also with empty card. Then I realize that there is no card and insert it in the cam while it is still on. The cam restarts and looks like it started recording as I can see both the red buttons for recording and mic are on. It is here most of the times failing to record. In our trip when we stop somewhere and switch off the car and again start it and continue, the cam starts recording without fail. Only the first part where I insert the card when the cam is on till the car is switched off and started again the footage is missing. So, the question is am I missing something here? When I forgot to insert the card and switched on the cam, do I need to switch off car and insert the card and start again? When I insert the card before starting the car and the cam is off it looks like working fine.

You should never remove or insert the memory card while the camera is on.

It‘s also good practice to always format the memory card inside the camera anytime it’s been used in another device (like a PC).

Welcome to the forum.

Also you should not move footage from the memory card to another media, instead you should copy footage from the memory card to that other media.
I dont quite know why this is a issue as the MO of the dashcam is simple, delete the oldest files to make room for more when full, but it seem like creating " false" gaps like that moving stuff off the card can trigger some problems.

You should never remove or insert the memory card while the camera is on.

It‘s also good practice to always format the memory card inside the camera anytime it’s been used in another device (like a PC).
Thank you for your prompt reply. So, I have to format the card every time I remove it and insert? I am removing the card to review the footage because I want to cehck whether the cam is recording every moment without fail. I can use the app also but again it is a lackluster experience as it fails most of the time to connect.

Welcome to the forum.

Also you should not move footage from the memory card to another media, instead you should copy footage from the memory card to that other media.
I dont quite know why this is a issue as the MO of the dashcam is simple, delete the oldest files to make room for more when full, but it seem like creating " false" gaps like that moving stuff off the card can trigger some problems.
Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I got your point, I will copy the files and don't move or delete from the card and see the issue is reproducable or not.

Thank you for your prompt reply. So, I have to format the card every time I remove it and insert? I am removing the card to review the footage because I want to cehck whether the cam is recording every moment without fail. I can use the app also but again it is a lackluster experience as it fails most of the time to connect.
I think it's good practice to reformat the card inside the camera any time you have used the card in another device.

I have never done that ( format in camera after being in card reader on PC ) but that have been a issue for some folks using the apple brand computers, at least in the old days, today that dont seem to be a issue i notice on here often. ( Apple leaving hidden files on memory card that did some times trip up something in the dashcams )
Okay some times i do format after just having had the card in the computer, but then it is just by chance and me doing occasional maintenance, cuz yes you should in camera format the memory card now and then.

I am fairly new to the viofo brand cameras myself, having just ( this year ) gotten the A139 and T130 cameras in for testing.
But i have used those as i have always used cameras and i cant say i have seen any problems i could blame on something like that.

I have never done that ( format in camera after being in card reader on PC ) but that have been a issue for some folks using the apple brand computers, at least in the old days, today that dont seem to be a issue i notice on here often. ( Apple leaving hidden files on memory card that did some times trip up something in the dashcams )
Okay some times i do format after just having had the card in the computer, but then it is just by chance and me doing occasional maintenance, cuz yes you should in camera format the memory card now and then.
I am using a PC so it should not be a problem. I highly suspect that inserting the card when the cam is on might be the issue. I had never seen the same on Rexing dashcam I used before because it dispalys a message that there is no card in cam where as Viofo is not displaying any such messages and just recording without a sd card.

I am using a PC so it should not be a problem. I highly suspect that inserting the card when the cam is on might be the issue. I had never seen the same on Rexing dashcam I used before because it dispalys a message that there is no card in cam where as Viofo is not displaying any such messages and just recording without a sd card.
Do you have the A129 Plus eMMC version? The camera should beep if there is no card inserted.

I would recommend you default the dashcam in the setting menu, then press and hold the R button(on the camera body side) for about 5 secs to reset the dashcam.

Last edited:
I would recommend you default the dashcam in the setting menu, then press and hold the R button(on the camera body side) for about 5 secs to reset the dashcam.
Sure I will try this and see. But I think inserting the card when the cam is off should fix this problem. Will try all the options and see whether the issue reproducible or not.

I'm confused as to how the camera is recording if you don't have the eMMC version and there isn't a card inserted.
Yes I too. It should show an error when there is no card. Also I am seeing two option in the app sd card and internal. Today I will check the internal memory option in the app without inserting the card and look for any videos recorded.

Back