Viofo A129 Pro Duo instead of the Plus for the same price?

ninja27

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello everyone.

My ~2 year old A119 V2 died recently (switched off while driving at night, and doesn't turn on anymore at all) and I'm looking to get a 2 channel dashcam.
I had my eyes on the A129 Plus Duo for it's apparent low light capability, since I don't really need 4k.

However due to logistic issues, the local dealer is unable to source the Plus Duo and is offering me the Pro Duo for the same price.

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum:

1) When people say a Pro Duo runs hotter, does it mean it operates at higher temperature than 1440p ones, or that it actually shuts down a lot in higher ambient temperatures? I don't want it dying out while I'm out driving.

2) Will the Pro Duo run cooler if I record in 1440p? Summers can get pretty hot here in southern India. (The A119 V2 never shut down though)

3) Are there any little known firmware bugs with the Pro Duo? Recently, I learnt the A119 V3 not saving the previous file when manually pressing the lock button

4) Does the Pro Duo overheat and shutdown often in Parking Mode? (Air con off, under the sun scenario)

5) Viofos in general are overpriced here. I'm partial to them because of their screen and buttons: don't need an app to make quick settings change. If I disregard those criteria, are there any other dashcams worth considering that compare to the A129's video quality and parking mode operation?

Thank you.

Viofos in general are overpriced here. I'm partial to them because of their screen and buttons: don't need an app to make quick settings change. If I disregard those criteria, are there any other dashcams worth considering that compare to the A129's video quality and parking mode operation?

Thank you.
you won't find anything cheaper that is comparable

Last edited:
1: I think both a 4K sensor run hotter than a lesser resolution one, and of course as it is 4K there are also more for the SOC to do so it will also be hotter.
2: I would not run a 4K sensor in 1440p, then better to get a 1440p camera, but the heat problems i think with the 4K cameras are mainly related to parking mode, i think for regular driving and recording it should be fine, maybe unless you turn off AC in your car and roll up the windows on a hot day, but that must be like suicide in India on a hot day.
3: Not familiar with the pro duo, but it seem lately most problems have been related to parking mode, i suggest you browse the sub forum for that model.
4: A129 pro duo will need very relaxed ambient temperatures to work well for parking mode, i would assume all dashcams would have a problem with that in India at least if parked in the sun.
Something like the dual remote systems, where you can put the main unit someplace in the car out of the sun probably stand a better chance, but ATM not many dual remote systems around.
But it make sense if the heat generating electronics are not sitting in direct sun, it must be able to operate longer even if the car cabin do get insanely hot on a summer day, must still be less than a black camera body hit by sunshine.

A129 pro duo will need very relaxed ambient temperatures to work well for parking mode, i would assume all dashcams would have a problem with that in India at least if parked in the sun.

This exactly. Nothing can be cooled below the ambient temperature without some form of refrigeration or evaporative cooling. So this is not an A129 problem- all cams will see this same limitation. The difference will be in what the maximum temperature is that a cam will function properly, and that of course will vary. High-performance cams with high resolution and/or high bitrates generate more heat which leaves less temperature differential available for cooling.

Something like the dual remote systems, where you can put the main unit someplace in the car out of the sun probably stand a better chance, but ATM not many dual remote systems around. But it make sense if the heat generating electronics are not sitting in direct sun, it must be able to operate longer even if the car cabin do get insanely hot on a summer day, must still be less than a black camera body hit by sunshine.

Solar radiation makes a huge difference in how cool an object is, so exposure to the sun's rays needs to be minimized as much as possible with dashcams. Most cams have reasonably good cooling schemes so I believe this is the most important factor in keeping them cool. My own experiences support this as I've ran cams in and out of direct sun and I've found shading the cam can give you a 3-4 degree Celsius advantage compared to ambient temps, perhaps a bit more with some cams.

Given an equal cooling scheme (which does vary) the best cam for the hottest climates will be one which generates the least heat and receives the least direct sunlight at the processor where most of the heat is generated. The windshield-mounted high-performance A129 Pro isn't going to be the best here, but it may be good enough. If you experience overtemps lowering the resolution and overall bitrate will help.

Phil

2: I would not run a 4K sensor in 1440p, then better to get a 1440p camera
Agreed. So long as it's not overheating and shutting down, I'd choose the highest resolution and bitrate offered

i think for regular driving and recording it should be fine
That addresses my main concern. No point in having a dashcam that switches off frequently

...unless you turn off AC in your car and roll up the windows on a hot day, but that must be like suicide in India on a hot day.
I have a black car, so I need to turn on the AC even in winter :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for all your input, I appreciate it.

you want find anything cheaper that is comparable
Lol, thought so. Thank you for confirming.

The windshield-mounted high-performance A129 Pro isn't going to be the best here, but it may be good enough. If you experience overtemps lowering the resolution and overall bitrate will help.
That clears up all my doubts-wanted to know if lowering resolution/bitrate might actually give it a fighting chance in direct harsh sunlight.

Thanks a lot for your inputs, jokiin, kamkar and Phil

It will help some- how much it will help I cannot say. Hopefully it will be enough if it's needed ;)

Phil

Haha fingers crossed.

The only reason I'm even considering it is because the Plus is out of stock, AND I'm getting the Pro for the same price. Having used a GoPro I know how hot it can get shooting 4k.

You mentioned shielding the cam from direct sunlight, will give that a try as well. Do you have any suggestions for the material, colour, etc?

...give it a fighting chance in direct harsh sunlight.
If your vehicle allows you can also mount many cameras (wedge and tube designs primarily) on the sensor housing instead of on the glass. That is actually my preferred mounting location for a number of reasons, minimizing direct sunlight exposure being one of them.

There's no one particular thing involved. Even a slightly tinted 'sun shade' of whatever kind you can find or make yourself will help considerably. Totally blocking the sun's rays will be best but that's not always possible, practical, or visually appealing.

Just keep it in mind when you do the install and don't block any airflow or trap heat around the cam with whatever sun shielding you use.

Phil

Back