Viofo A129 WiFi not showing up... in car

TheImmortal

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi,

I've recently hooked the 129 Duo, via a HK3, on my Focus MK3, just to find out that the wifi does NOT show up when connected...most of the time. Like 98% of the time; and in the 2 percent it does, it's not connectable. I've tried this on the 1.9 firmware, with both my Note9 and wifey's Mate20 lite, with both data on/off, and with the same results.

The weird thing is that, once i bring the camera to my PC and connect it via the 'long' USB, wifi works fine.

Wth is the issue? :/

Thank you.

So you do not have a Wi-Fi network that A129 should create, or your devices can not connect to A129 through the application? What does “WiFi not showing up... in car” mean?
And can you explain what a "long" USB is and what prevents you from checking through a "long USB" in a car? Maybe GPS trackers, radio stations or other powerful sources of radio emission are installed and working in your car?

The A129 does not create the wifi, yes. Or, if it does create it, it's only partially visible.

The camera comes with two USB cables: the power-on, long cable, and the 'usb device' cable; using the first one to a PC or charger gets the wifi network setup properly (and visible by my phones), whereas in the car, i can't get the network to show up. I'll try to power it from the long cable and an usb charger instead of the hk3, to see if its isolated to the hk3 module. I've tried multiple locations too to no avail.

LE: I'm coming from a fairly basic 70mai whose WiFi had no issues, so i'd doubt it could be pinned on 'devices from my car'.

Please use the long USB cable for power on and recording, can you show a short video about the issue?

I'm aiming at using the HK3 kit for power on and recording (permanently), that's why i paid for it and for the install. I'll try getting a clip going on and compare the wifi performance in-car on hk3 vs original 'long' usb cable.

Well, new development - the WiFi SSID is NOT showing in car with the long, provided-with-the-camera USB cable either, regardless of where it gets power from: car's USB or through the lighter adapter that was provided with the camera. Which is a brain fart, since that same cable works with that same camera when connected from PC.
However, through multiple attempts, i gave it a go with a 5 Ghz network and...surprise-surprise, that shows up everywhere.

Since my phones are new enough and I don't need the extended coverage the 2.4Ghz variants comes with, i'll work with that. Hopefully we get the G-sensor to work and maybe the lock on events triggered by it; that'll make me a happy camper.

You mentioned focus mk3, but not the year. Here in the US, some later model focus mk3's had wifi built into sync3 system, though I don't know if they have the same in romania. So it's possible the car's wifi system might be drowning out the B1W wifi signal, if your car is equipped with it. (All this according to google information, not personal experience so maybe all wrong).

You mentioned focus mk3, but not the year. Here in the US, some later model focus mk3's had wifi built into sync3 system, though I don't know if they have the same in romania. So it's possible the car's wifi system might be drowning out the B1W wifi signal, if your car is equipped with it. (All this according to google information, not personal experience so maybe all wrong).
I have a 2018 mk3.5 Focus with Sync3 and wifi always enabled,I never had this issue with A129 or A129 Pro in 2.4Ghz band..

Reactions: Mtz
Not that it would be an actual solution, but try temporarily disabling the wifi in the ford sync3 to determine if it is the source of the problem. (It may not be.) If that test is successful, then perhaps investigate if you can change the wifi channel that the ford sync3 uses, to avoid the A129's channel selection. (I cannot recall if the A129 has a method to change wifi channel selection.)

Last edited:
You cannot manually change the wifi channel,I suppose it is set to automatic on these devices to avoid interference.However I never had problems with the wifi connection on car interfering with the cameras.

Last edited:
You cannot manually change the wifi channel,I suppose it is set to automatic on these devices to avoid interference.

Well then, that automatic process may not be working well! I googled ford sync3 wifi channel and found some people talking about a manual channel selection option. That does not necessarily mean it is present in your model, but I personally would investigate further. But it's obviously your car and your problem and your decision. Good luck.

Well then, that automatic process may not be working well! I googled ford sync3 wifi channel and found some people talking about a manual channel selection option. That does not necessarily mean it is present in your model, but I personally would investigate further. But it's obviously your car and your problem and your decision. Good luck.
I'm not the OP,I only said I never had this problem (y)

I'm not the OP,I only said I never had this problem (y)

Sorry, my mistake there. Are you certain there is no option for manual wifi channel selection in ford sync3?

Yes,there is only ON/OFF option.

Back