Viofo A129Duo in Canada

Tarasp

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Already testing my Viofo A129 one month and happy to have it so far. I did a lot of homework before I placed my order. I had three main criteria: price, quality, and harsh weather (Canada – 6 months of winter with -30 C).

According to my criteria, Viofo A129 is the best dash cam in the market right now.
1. $ 230 (CAD) is a reasonable price for two (front and rear) cameras.
2. Novatek NT96663 processor and Sony IMX291 Starvis sensor provide excellent quality of the picture (dual resolution with 1080p 30fps is not best one, but enough for me). With this combination, the VIOFO A129 Duo DVR can shoot high-quality shots both in daylight and at night.
3. The A129 uses capacitors, rather than lithium-ion batteries, the dashcam dependents less on the temperature difference. It works perfectly in frozen Canada!

Additional pluses and upgrades:
1. Wi-Fi (can load shots on my cell phone).
2. Parking Mode (still testing). Hopefully, I can write more after a few more months.
3. GPS. Just an important addition to this is saving on GPS video data, due to the presence of a GPS module. On the captured video, GPS tags about the speed, location, etc. are saved.
4. Cpl filter must have an option which reduces reflection from the windshield and minimizes glare from the sun. The CPL filter works on the principle of sunglasses.
5. Bluetooth remote controller (still thinking about this upgrade).

To be continued…

Viofo A129 at -24C + bonus Sun Dog

A sun dog or mock sun, formally called a parhelion in meteorology, is an atmospheric optical phenomenon that consists of a bright spot to one or both sides of the Sun. Two sun dogs often flank the Sun within a 22° halo.

I plan on getting this camera. Do these sales happen often? Wondering if it's worth the wait.
I have been checking prices since October 2018. They offered Black Friday sales only for the USA and UK not for Canada.

So far the VIOFO A129 seems pretty solid! Nice capture! Speaking of temperature, I once was patrolling during my service in the military... It was a heavy winter and that night we had -32 C. That was quite a unique experience, especially the moment when we returned to the barracks - my ak47 turned white instantly and if you would touch it with your finger, it would stick like if it was covered with super glue! :)

Last edited:
So far the VIOFO A129 seems pretty solid! Nice capture! Speaking of temperature, I once was patrolling during my service in the military... It was a heavy winter and that night we had -32 C. That was quite a unique experience, especially the moment when we returned to the barracks - my ak47 turned white instantly and if you would touch it with your finger, it would stick like if it was covered with super glue! :)
Yep! The official VIOFO website claims -20 C, but as you can see the camera works with more then -20 C.
About weather, it depends of humidity and wind. For instance, people in Chicago froze with just - 20 C because of high humidity level. :eek:

Back