Viofo A139 2ch constantly beeping

Nixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just bought an A139 2ch direct from Viofo UK. I have installed it in my MX5 using the supplied cigarette lighter power socket. I am also using the Viofo supplied 256 GB SD card. I had no strange issues installing - it was very straight forward. I’ve installed 3 different dash cams in the past so this isn’t something new to me.

I’ve been having problems since day one with this camera. It constantly beeps as if it’s lost power or is power cycling. It will say “recording one channel started” even though I have two channels. It will beep, then reboot and say “recording two channel started”. This will last for a little while and then it will just start beeping non stop. It’s quite frustrating. Seems to happen when I’m driving on rough surfaces.

I’ve updated the firmware to the latest on the site (I think it’s 1.5) Any suggestions?

If it acts like this even at the latest firmware, RMA the whole setup. Probably defective cable but you shouldn't be the one to make the investigation... (you can try it by wiggling the cable in connectors)

Btw: I assume you properly clicked the cable in place. :)

If it acts like this even at the latest firmware, RMA the whole setup. Probably defective cable but you shouldn't be the one to make the investigation... (you can try it by wiggling the cable in connectors)

Btw: I assume you properly clicked the cable in place. :)
Agree. That sounds like a loose or damaged cable, if the rear camera is occasionally dropping the connection.

Is the cable securely connected to both the rear camera and the front camera? They should fit quite secure with no real movement once in place. I know a few others have had loose connections. Worth trying it connected as the interior camera also to see if that makes a difference.

Is the cable securely connected to both the rear camera and the front camera? They should fit quite secure with no real movement once in place. I know a few others have had loose connections. Worth trying it connected as the interior camera also to see if that makes a difference.
Bullseye (y) It's a known problem and this is how to diagnose things. It seems to be a bad batch of cable sockets to me, so only a main cam replacement will cure it correctly, but if the cabin socket works well it can still be used as a 2-channel with nothing lost.

Phil

Thanks all - the rear camera connector does not firmly plug into the main camera body. It wiggles. This makes me believe it is a faulty camera socket or wire. I’ve contacted the manufacturer.

Thanks all - the rear camera connector does not firmly plug into the main camera body. It wiggles. This makes me believe it is a faulty camera socket or wire. I’ve contacted the manufacturer.
Did you push in firmly until you hear a defined click?

Did you push in firmly until you hear a defined click?
Yes. It still seems to be loose.

When I compare the wire connections on the main unit and the rear camera they’re very different. The connection to the actual rear camera is firm and does not “wiggle” but the connection to the main camera is more loose.

Yes. It still seems to be loose.

When I compare the wire connections on the main unit and the rear camera they’re very different. The connection to the actual rear camera is firm and does not “wiggle” but the connection to the main camera is more loose.
Yes main camera is somewhat loose typically, did you maybe pinch the cable when doing install, they are not the strongest cables. Tried the camera on desk or just did the install and then tried it ? Cable is most likely the issue, try putting rear camera into the int. port and see if that makes any difference, if so.. it's not the cable but the port on camera that is issue.

Yes main camera is somewhat loose typically, did you maybe pinch the cable when doing install, they are not the strongest cables. Tried the camera on desk or just did the install and then tried it ? Cable is most likely the issue, try putting rear camera into the int. port and see if that makes any difference, if so.. it's not the cable but the port on camera that is issue.
Today I unplugged the rear camera cable on the main unit and plugged it into the interior port. Drove for 30 miles with no problems at all. So, makes me think the rear camera port on the main unit is defective.

I’m used to working with fragile cables (such as fibre optic) so was very careful with the install. Seems to be a defective main unit.

Today I unplugged the rear camera cable on the main unit and plugged it into the interior port. Drove for 30 miles with no problems at all. So, makes me think the rear camera port on the main unit is defective.

I’m used to working with fragile cables (such as fibre optic) so was very careful with the install. Seems to be a defective main unit.
It sure sounds that way, does it feel any more secure in that port?

It sure sounds that way, does it feel any more secure in that port?
Honestly it’s hard to tell. It still wiggles a little on the interior port but it does not set off the beeps or switch to one channel mode. I’ve just driven it another 30 miles and it was working perfectly. Definitely a defective port on the main unit.

Viofo support is being a bit strange now and have suggested I keep a defective unit since ”I only need two cameras.” I may add an interior camera later, so I have asked for a replacement. So far, no response but that may be due to support’s time zone. I’m shocked they even suggested I keep a defective product! :mad:

Honestly it’s hard to tell. It still wiggles a little on the interior port but it does not set off the beeps or switch to one channel mode. I’ve just driven it another 30 miles and it was working perfectly. Definitely a defective port on the main unit.

Viofo support is being a bit strange now and have suggested I keep a defective unit since ”I only need two cameras.” I may add an interior camera later, so I have asked for a replacement. So far, no response but that may be due to support’s time zone. I’m shocked they even suggested I keep a defective product! :mad:
I can see their angle but in reality as you say, the option is there to expand to a 3 channel plus the possibility of if you sold it. Switching to the interior port gives a suitable diagnostic test but if the camera is faulty then you’re within your rights to want it replaced.

Quick update from me... Viofo support (I think in China) RMA'ed the front camera body. They initially wanted me to ship it all the way back to China and when I inquired why... they let me send it to the UK distributor instead. UK distributor (Mycrocam) was awesome and swapped it out in record speed. New front camera arrived, plugged it in and it's working perfectly. The rear camera plugged in with a hefty snap and is not wobbly/wiggly like the original camera body was. So, the root cause was a defective rear camera port on the camera body.

I'm still running the stock firmware V1.1_0324. Should I update?

Yes, there are some fixes and improvements. Plus in beta v1.6 there are even other additional features and it works ok.

Wow, I completely missed this part. Seems like even @viofo can be pretty sketchy (not to mention recent bad supercaps issue of another user). No matter their point of view, once the product is faulty, it should be replaced/repaired without any hassle.

Had the same problem. Viofo offered an exchange of the main unit but as I am only using two channel, I plugged the rear cam to the interior connector and since then I don't have any issue anymore. (y)
Exchange would have meant for me to send the cam back to china on my costs ... As I will never put an interior camera, this solution is fine for me.

I bought not one, but two (!) VIOFO A139 3CH because I had to install such system on two cars. They both have this problem. I am quite annoyed by that. I am going to write to VIOFO support as soon as possible, but by reading your feedbacks I think this will be kind of problematic. It's sad because I really like this product

I bought not one, but two (!) VIOFO A139 3CH because I had to install such system on two cars. They both have this problem. I am quite annoyed by that. I am going to write to VIOFO support as soon as possible, but by reading your feedbacks I think this will be kind of problematic. It's sad because I really like this product
How tight is the rear camera cable in its socket on the front camera and on the rear camera?
Is yours switching between 1 and 2 channels the same as the original post?

How tight is the rear camera cable in its socket on the front camera and on the rear camera?

I am still disassembling the interiors of the two cars in order to insert the cables in the proper "pipes" (I apologize, I am not a native English speaker, and I cannot find the translation for "passacavi" or "canalina passacavi").
But the cables are not stretched or subjected to stress because I am very careful about it. Also, no passenger is allowed to use the seats in the places where I am still working on the cables installation

Is yours switching between 1 and 2 channels the same as the original post?
I have a 3 CH, so the two cameras says "3 channel started", then after some time "beep beep", "2 channel started", then sometimes it gets back to "3 channel started" and continues cycling

I am still disassembling the interiors of the two cars in order to insert the cables in the proper "pipes" (I apologize, I am not a native English speaker, and I cannot find the translation for "passacavi" or "canalina passacavi").
But the cables are not stretched or subjected to stress because I am very careful about it. Also, no passenger is allowed to use the seats in the places where I am still working on the cables installation

I have a 3 CH, so the two cameras says "3 channel started", then after some time "beep beep", "2 channel started", then sometimes it gets back to "3 channel started" and continues cycling
Yes I understand what you mean.
Switching from 3 to 2 and back to 3 sounds like it is losing connection with 1 camera. There have been a handful of people on here who found that the connection was loose in the front camera socket, if you hold the connection and wiggle it you might find you can recreate the problem.
This will give you more information to give to @VIOFO-Support to help find a resolution.

Back