Viofo A139 3CH review

I want to warn you that some chips are under voltage from supercapacitors!!
Therefore, when removing screen covers, be very careful and use a plastic tool!!
Good advice, maybe sensible to discharge the super capacitors; if you do then make sure you discharge both properly before powering the camera again.

I usually cut off one lead at a time and then solder them, it’s easier for me!!

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 9
I want to warn you that some chips are under voltage from supercapacitors!!
Therefore, when removing screen covers, be very careful and use a plastic tool!!
Thanks. I don't know if there is any way to improving cooling since everything is jammed in there. I was going to take a look at the heat sink, maybe remove it and reapply CPU thermal compound and/or maybe look for a copper shim online to sandwich in between the CPU and heatsink. I don't know if I want to waste the time and effort.

Why are you cutting them off? Sorry for the dumb question. If I were only to play with the heatsink why not just leave them alone?

Why are you cutting them off?
I exclude accidents, I had experience, I also dealt with a radiator, I took off the cover and shorted it in the board, a spark jumped and 139 died, I had to repair it!!
There is a gap between the processor and the radiator, I put in a copper gasket 0.8 mm thick.
But that was a long time ago, maybe viofo has already changed everything in the design!!??

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 4
There is still power in them if you just cut a lead, they can still cause damage.
If you short the pins for a few seconds then there is no power left, so they are safe.
Ideally short them through a resistor, and do both until there is no power left.

There is still power in them if you just cut a lead
I don’t cut the wires, but the terminals of the supercapacitors, they no longer power the board!!

I exclude accidents, I had experience, I also dealt with a radiator, I took off the cover and shorted it in the board, a spark jumped and 139 died, I had to repair it!!
There is a gap between the processor and the radiator, I put in a copper gasket 0.8 mm thick.
But that was a long time ago, maybe viofo has already changed everything in the design!!??
Ya I think I saw that in this thread and since it was discussed , viofo said that was not a production model when the heatsink wasnt touching the CPU.. I don't buy it at all. So they intentionally made something that was going to overheat? Riggghhhtttt.

I was looking at doing the same type of mod but didn't get to pry the board out yet. Got a little nervous about trying to pry it out without damaging anything.

Back