Viofo A139 3CH review

Well i hope they will some day soon, lots of good modding on other viofo models, and i like to get in on enjoying the fruits of that.

Matrix block Disassembly

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    921.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    961.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    985.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 103
@vvs49 Any exposed pins for interface and debug access via UART?

I like the phone like connectors for the camera module. :)

I like the phone like connectors for the camera module. :)

Although I'm not too sure how much twisting strain that flat cable can handle. I guess it's best not to twist the lens up and down too much :unsure:

I am leaving my A139 alone, not even tearing into the remnants of the vandalized one.

The heat will come, I will install and work on the firmware.
VIOFO for some reason does not want to update the firmware !!
This is not good without HDR.

Always glad to see FW modding happen (y) It's pretty good now so not sure what can be done but having many eyes and hands working always does better than having only a few doing that. Everything can be improved on, nothing is perfect ;)

Phil

If this camera are no good without HDR, no camera is no good without HDR.
But do share what you come up with (y)

I am not aware of any major problems with the A139 at the moment, but i am sure just on image quality it could be made to perform a lot better, but functionality updates seem to be what dashcam makers focus on most often.

Matrix block Disassembly
Just came across this post of your with the cover removed from the a139. I want to look at getting the main body apart. After you take the 4 screws out, what is the procedure for opening the plastic. What is the trick?

Use the GPS mount inserted into the camera as a handle to pull apart the rear cover. Or gently insert a normal screwdriver in one hole of GPS mount and gently try to take out the rear cover. Do not hurry, take it easy.
In normal condition, no need to take out the lens part so just let it there. When assembling back the camera pay attention to the lens connector on PCB to be properly inserted.

Last edited:
Use the GPS mount inserted into the camera as a handle to pull apart the rear cover. Or gently insert a normal screwdriver in one hole of GPS mount and gently try to take out the rear cover. Do not hurry, take it easy.
In normal condition, no need to take out the lens part so just let it there. When assembling back the camera pay attention to the lens connector on PCB to be properly inserted.
Thanks but I'm not going to use the GPS part since that is stuck to the windshield. I've tried to use one of the holes with a screw driver but that didn't work either. I also tried using a plastic pry tool in the seam of the body but didn't work either. Hum.

Then use the screwdriver in this way

Attachments

• A139 rear.jpg
    A139 rear.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 8
Then use the screwdriver in this way
Got it. Now I'm stuck trying to to figure out how to get the board out. That is really in there.

Attachments

• 20240916_073156.jpg
    20240916_073156.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 8
Just came across this post of your with the cover removed from the a139.
Everything is simple there, the board can be lifted from the side where there are no external connectors!!

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 9
Everything is simple there, the board can be lifted from the side where there are no external connectors!!
I didn't want to force it. For now I gave up and put it back together since I won't have time till next weekend. I was looking for a YT video but no luck to see if someone tore one down.

I want to warn you that some chips are under voltage from supercapacitors!!
Therefore, when removing screen covers, be very careful and use a plastic tool!!

Back