Viofo A139 - First Impressions

A139 - Into the Light - V1.0 1113
WDR Off // CPL Off // Front EV-1/3

Last week I had a rare opportunity during lockdown to take a long drive, so of course the A139 recorded the trip. Starting with the morning, I was often driving towards the light so it was interesting to see how the metering coped with low sunlight. Overall I think the A139 did a good job of maintaining decent exposure on the road and cars despite the challenging lighting conditions. Note - I have my front camera set to EV -1/3.

Yes, the sound does drop out for a few seconds near the start. I accidentally pressed the MIC on/off button rather than the Event button. Personally I find the Event button is difficult to distinguish from the others when driving. For the rest of the trip I used the bluetooth button on my dashboard which was much easier than fumbling with the camera buttons.

Last edited:
hehe yeah pick your fights, or suffer the concequences, which range from grief and frustration to a longer jail sentence.
Yes, and if he has some previous record and plenty of points on his license already, which seems quite likely, then a jail sentence is a definite possibility if he fights it!

Personally I find the Event button is difficult to distinguish from the others when driving.
Yes, I found that too, needs a sharp bump in the middle of it, like the "J" key on this keyboard.

Yes, I found that too, needs a sharp bump in the middle of it, like the "J" key on this keyboard.
It needs a bump, a texture, or something to make it easier to find whilst driving.

Some observations for @viofo on the A139 from my extended test last week:

- I quite like the voice alerts. At first I was unsure about them, but I think they are useful.

- The Event button needs a bump, texture or something to help the driver find it without looking at the camera

- The Viofo bluetooth remote works very well with the A139. It was easy to pair and always saved a file when I wanted to

- Pressing the Event or bluetooth button only saves the current video clips (F, R & I channels) to the RO folder. It would be good if the preceding or following clips could also be saved, particularly if the button is pressed near the start or end of a clip.

- Connection via the Viofo app works well, and video downloads are rather quick

- I have not experienced any issues with GPS connection

The Event button needs a bump, texture or something to help the driver find it without looking at the camera
Agree. That button needs to be easy to find under all conditions including darkness.

Phil

I quite like the voice alerts. At first I was unsure about them, but I think they are useful
Yes please!! Audible alerts are critical. We need to be warned when the camera stops recording for whatever reason.

At least the area of the buttons are clear, so you could put whatever near the buttons to help finding the right one.
I think at some point i will have to get a BT event button for the A139, after i have gotten the DR and put its wired button on the console by the handbrake i have grown quite fond of it and not having to lean forward.

At least the area of the buttons are clear, so you could put whatever near the buttons to help finding the right one.
I think at some point i will have to get a BT event button for the A139, after i have gotten the DR and put its wired button on the console by the handbrake i have grown quite fond of it and not having to lean forward.
Niko used to include a little sticky rubber dot with the SG9665GC to help users find the event button. I could try something like that on the A139.

Having a bluetooth or wired remote button in an easy-to-reach location means you're less likely to take your eyes off the road.

Do you have anything like this hanging around?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07TPSFXM3
You could cut a tiny rectangle and stick it to the button (or above the button) so the button will have a furry feel to it

Cabinet door bumpers- perfect :cool: You can trim the size and shape with a utility knife. Home Improvement stores here have them in the cabinet hardware section. I've been known to glue on whatever I had on hand for things like radio dial knobs to make them easier to spin with a fingertip. Even a small drop of hot-melt glue will work.

But it would be better to mold it in to the button or make that button taller at the factory; anything that would be easy to feel without looking. And illuminate it to make it easier to find at night ;)

Phil

But it would be better to mold it in to the button or make that button taller at the factory; anything that would be easy to feel without looking. And illuminate it to make it easier to find at night ;)
Yes, it would be preferable if Viofo can find a way to make the button easy to find for everyone, without needing a DIY solution.

Yes if the REC LED was part of the event button it would have been nice, but that i am sure would mean a redesign of the PCB

I think i would take one of those little rubber dots, and then cut it in 3 so i could use the middle 1/3 and put it above the event button.

Yes, it would be preferable if Viofo can find a way to make the button easy to find for everyone, without needing a DIY solution.
We may improve this in the future batch, it is late for the first batch. Thanks for your suggestion.

@viofo Maybe just move the button functioning around, and so also print on case, if the EMG button was the far Left or Right one, there would be no problem finding it even in darkness.
But not aware if this would mean a PCB change, which would be silly i think.
The problem now is it is in the middle and all the buttons are the same feel.

Maybe the easiest way would be to get the plastic button part made longer so it stick out further and so should also be easy to feel is different from the other buttons, that would not need any other changes unless something special go on in assembly, but i dont think that is the case.

@viofo Maybe just move the button functioning around,
I think it is good in the middle, very easy to use when you can see it, and we should be able to feel it too because it is bigger and a different shape, but somehow I can't easily. Just needs a small braille like bump on the lock button.

Take a soldering iron and melt a tiny hole you'd feel that little recess :) lol

Okay my memory of the buttons was a little off, the event button are another shape but not something you will feel in the darkness.
So i went " Russian " on the A139, and now there is no doubt what button is the event one :)

Standard.
A139 s.jpg

Modified.
A139 m.jpg

Back